Author Topic: Das Auto Gasser build . Slant Six VW bug  (Read 85474 times)

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Re: Das Auto Gasser build . Slant Six VW bug
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2013, 04:31:31 PM »
I was not totally satisfied with the width of the front end. It was OK but not what I wanted so today I dragged out the axle and shortened it another 4 inches. I also removed all the old bracketry and such. Was very hot today so I didnt get it completely finished but it is welded  but not yet pretty.  I also made the brackets to go from the I beam to the 1/4 elips. I made a cardboard pattern and will install them tomorrow . then the car will be supported on its own wheels for the first time. The upper links wont be on but that will come in due time. It will still be standing. I also treated this engine I got free to a good dose of brake fluid. It is stuck but wasnt sitting exposed so it may come free. If it does I will fire it for moving around eventually before installing some ponies.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 04:34:51 PM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2013, 08:18:05 PM »
.... I also treated this engine I got free to a good dose of brake fluid... .

Interesting... first time hearing such trick. Thanks Don.

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 04:03:43 AM »
Dot 3 brake fluid is friendly with moisture which is one of its drawbacks however it will go anywhere moisture will which many oils and so called magic trick stuff wont. It usually works unless the engine is so corroded the crap must be mechanically removed. When I was an apprentice mechanic now many years ago an ol lad taught me this trick. Many times over the years I have thanked him in my thoughts. If the engine is hurt and wont roll it isnt a big deal to whip it apart and have it punched but it would be a lot of fun to have it bark to life as is.
don
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:05:57 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Did the initial install of the 1/4 elip spring hangers. Did a test install and it stands up properly. Springrate is very close to ideal I would say. Now I have to fab the upper links and brackets so I can lean the king pins back for some POS caster.
These axles are not straight. In normal installation they wind around each other because of the twin I beams. In a drag car this is wonderful now as it gives me a long front tire. (No red Lights) I always ran all my cars at max legal offset anyway. This one has it natura. In fact I took some out of it. Still if I get a bit high on converter and low on brake some times it rolls in a bit . So far with the little blue rail I just get a deep stage and still a  green light in most cases.  Should work well in Das Auto too I hope.
Don
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 06:55:36 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 12:05:12 PM »
Using a wooden 2x4  clamped to the frame rail and resting on the I beam I clamped the inside bracket to the 2x4 at the I beam, then I tacked it in place. I repeated it on the other side . Then using a stack of scraps that are exactly the same width as a 1/2inch heim joint I clamped the other ear to the outside of the first one and tacked it. Repeated on the right side of the car. I removed all the ruf jigging and welded them in place both sides. Now I need 4 heim joints and about 2 feet of tubing to complete the alignment sensitive parts of the front suspenion. With 1/4 elips no panhard or linkage needed as like a normal leaf spring set up they are self supporting laterly as well as vertically.
Then I positioned the engine in its final spot and drilled the holes for the mount fasteners as well as for the trans. With a 904 trans you have access from the top so if you are careful you can drill your first holes from above  which I did.  Finally I did some more trimming of the old dash and firewall as well as some of the under hood areas. At that point it was time to quit for the day before I did something stupid.
Don
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 12:13:48 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2013, 11:02:10 AM »
The more I work with 1/4 elips the more I like them. Today I installed the shocks. The shackle nut us machined to just fit inside the bottom shock ring. A longer nut from the spring industry is machined to fit inside from the outer end. As long as the thread protrude at least the distance as the diameter of the bolt (5/8 here) then the butted nut section will have no trouble. Especially since it is a shock and used only for dampening, not load carrying. Top end takes a 1/2 inch bolt which will travel through the shock , through the chassis tubing (supported by a steel sleeve, through the not yet there 1/2 inch heim joint and secured by a nut and safety washer. I also bought the other fender today and we found one a bit better then we had so got it as well. I will understand if someone thinks these fenders are real tuff. they are but as Mom said a bird in the hand beat two in the bush everytime. I will fix them if I have to but if better shows up  that is a plus. I also bought a hood from a flat winshield bug but it doesnt fit right so I am still looking there although if I never found one this one can be made to work but I hope it doesnt come to that.
Don
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:04:55 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2013, 04:15:58 PM »
I finished up the shock mounts today and started on the rear fenders. This one was a crumpled mess. Flattened0n the whole front side and ripped and folded over at the rear. Looked like the car had been sidewiped. I wasnt going to show this but mrs D said I should after she saw the first one all back together and fixed. . Whenever I am working on something real bad I fix the MOST OBJECTIONAL part first. Then any reason not to fix it becomes non existant. So I unfolded the crumple at the biggest part. Tapped the pieces a bit with a hammer to get them so they would mate up and then clamped and tacked the big rip together. I then pounded the flattened side back out being careful not to stretch the metal. If this looks bad to you now you should have seen it two hours ago. (When my wife first suggested I should picture it first. ) Anyway I find this fun. It is also interesting. Yes I can buy new at $196 each. Aint gonna happen. I have the other one done as far a straighten and weld repair. It turned out pretty good. I show another pic when it is completley back together and straight. Then it is sand blast install loosely on the car and finish tapping here and there.  After that give it the big slurp and carve it out.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2013, 05:42:56 PM »
What a difference a day makes.
Don

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2013, 07:35:30 PM »
Really impressive Don!

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2013, 06:24:57 AM »
Thanks. It was an interesting challenge but I really enjoyed it. I dont think I have more then 3 1/2 hours in it so far. Big thing right now is to find a proper 73 to 79 Super Beetle hood in any usuable condition. Got to be a Beetle club around here somewhere. They must have some throw-aways in search of their concours restorations. Anyways while the fender is not yet perfect I am sure it is straighter then it was before its last repair. It had a lot of fill in it. I took out all the dents i could without causing undue stress in the metal.
Yesterday afternoon and old racing pal now residing in Australia showed up in my driveway. Back in the 70s we called him Hurricane David and he had that on the side of is Camaro race car as well. He has since become "Respsectable" but gave the car a good inspection and suggested it would be a fun race car.  Twas a long tme ago but we spent the next few hours reminising on the good ol days. He had driven my Dart a bit for me as well but we went racing together(two trucks two trailers)  many many times and now realize what a blast that was looking back.  Lots of laughs anyway. Twas the best of times.  Here he is expressing his idea it would be a fun car to drve. Way back behind that glint in his eye I see an "I wonder if I should build another car?"
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2013, 04:22:40 PM »
I spent the morning finishing all the minor points on the drivers side fender. All welding and beating there is finished. I set about to finish the pass side fender. I have to remove it to finish grind one spot but it is essentially ready too. Tomorrow I will get a product we have here called rust converter and treat any suspicious areas . Then a good ruff sanding and I will bolt them up with a cardboard barrier at the body seam and begin the fill and sanding.. I will take them about like the rear port of the body for now and leave the final stuff for just before paint. There will always be some issues anyway. Life is like that. Still a couple of weeks ago I had no rear fenders . In fact the fellow who gave it too me gave up on it mainly because of that. Now with a $30 investment and two days or so hard work that issue is GONE!
I have been looking through old books. There were a lot of these cars used for dragging back in the day. Mostly SBChev powered. But still a lot more then I thought. Most were run as altereds . Probably because of the old pre mid sixties Must be North American Gas class rule . Gotta get some low pofile free front tires from the tire shop on these old rims so I can finsh suspension set up and move it around easily. Probably will have to make my own front wheels to get what I want. I will probably buy 4 of the steel wheels like I have on the Sr dragster rear and narrow the front set. .This is a budget build but I dont want it to look,like it. I have been very happy with the rear wheel treatment on the SrDragster.
Don
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 04:27:42 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 06:58:19 PM »
On its tires now. Front shot gives a hint of how it will look when done. Stock signal lamps and tailights are XXed. Discovered that is what makes a VW goofy looking. Also did some front body patching.
Don
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 07:00:32 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2013, 08:55:33 PM »
Amusing on how much progress you have made
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2013, 03:41:38 AM »
Thanks, I set a goal for each day and do it then quit. Inch by inch anything can be done.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2013, 02:26:20 PM »
Car is 2 lbs heavier. I know because my 2 lb mig spool just ran out. Got driver side patched same as the pass side. I filled signal lamp holes in fenders and gave the initial fill over both patches. Meausred for a seat. I am wanting to use a bus seat for a bench type seat. I think it will look good and allow a passenger if I desire. (I think Mrs D would like a ride. A bus seat is aprox 39 inches which is about perfect. I can mount it on the frame and have a good strong but not too heavy seat with a self supporting back. Roll bar (for now) should fit niceley with this set up. May even be able to get MrsD to make me a Redneck seat cushion and back like she did for the senior dragster out of Blue Denim. OH yeah also received a donation of a set of aluminum 8X15 wheels found in the local dump. I think they will look good with a sand blast and a fin polish with the body grinder while spinning on a brake lathe. Haldibrands would be nice but freebies always work.
Don