Author Topic: Das Auto Gasser build . Slant Six VW bug  (Read 85088 times)

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Das Auto Gasser build . Slant Six VW bug
« on: May 29, 2013, 10:40:53 AM »
As I iluded to in the gasser thread I have started into a build of a VW bug as a early coupe style gasser.
Why? Well, I was given the body shell free and it was delivered here.  I was given the metal  2x3 X.180" wall rectangular tubing. Tisnt pretty as it was used as HD industrial shelving for years but aside from the ugly which is totally superficial it is good sound tubing. Despite being heavy wall the frame is not all that heavy. I weighed a 5 inch section at 710gr. I have 244 inches in the basic frame. It is easy to work with and strong. And FREE! I can spend an hour or so with a flap wheel cleaning the old ugly paint from it at that price.
I finished  the basic frame this morning. It will be a ladder bar suspension (30 inch) with coil springs and seperate shock. Nothing fancy. Front axle will be fabbed in house (again) and will use 1/4 eliphtic front springs which I have come to really like. (My short rail uses a single 1/4 and my Jeep altered used a pair. My Poly Dragster project also has a pair of 1/4s up front) Rear will be probably a Jeep as they come with usable gears and will not require narrowing. Also would have no trouble standing up to the slant six power. Later this week I will notch the rear floor for the frame step up. The roll cage will tie the rest together nicely. I plan to sit approx in the stock location.
I have a spare slant six which was also a gift. I have one of my old heads with big valves and porting and springs as well as three special cams I have run in the rail . I have three intakes plus a stocker. Soon I will also have a spare set of headers . I have a spare trans core and a couple of converters although just fun ones not real serious ones. Still should it all come together I am not too proud to just pop something together for a fun run till I get a serious mill done.
Anyway I worked on it a bit each day. The frame is about 4.5 hours work so far. I am using the car as something to work on when I need a break from my intake header work. There is no particular schedule.
Don
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:06:16 AM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: Das Auto Gasser build . Slant Six VW bug
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 12:13:09 PM »
How many builds do you have going on?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 03:59:13 AM »
two.
I have a FED about 1/2 done. 120" wheelbase with a 318 Poly engine inspired by Tim McMasters 312 Ford dragster. I had no intention of doing another but the guy gave me the bug and a friend Mike S (Rooman's "twin"(41 Willys gasser) gave me  the metal. My Mom always told me "never look a gift horse in the mouth " so I didnt refuse. Really I need to get it to at least push around mode  as it is sitting on my shop floor now which is not convenient. However everytime I walk by it whispers in the old tongue to me "DAS AUTO". Since the welder was still warm from the trailer build I thought I would burn up the welding rods I had left at least and get the metal Mike offered while that door was still open. Today is my birthday and my wife gave me a handful of cash and a gift card from a store I buy a lot of my stuff from so I am good to go for another leg of the project.
Meanwhile I am always working on my little blue rail since I have never had a more fun  and less stressful car in my life. Hence the tunnel ram project which is  just a distraction when I need a break.
Oh also making another  fiddle, an 811 HF amplifier (VE3LYX Ham radio) Good thing I am retired.. I dont have time for work!
Don
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 04:09:08 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 06:04:23 PM »
Today I made the ladder bars. Cost $19.91. But remember that cash I got on my birthday  for my projects?
Used a bit of it so out of pocket to me still $0. Went and measured a Jeep YJ rear end. Too wide. Got to come up with something else.  Anyway here are the new ladder bars.

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »
Body is on the frame. Notched what is left of the rear floor pan (luggage compartment). Frame sets in place nicely with room for ladder bars. Still no spindles but  they will come. Also looking for a rear end that will work as is . Not a big demand because a slant six is not a blown Hemi so a good reliable diff of about 50 inch track will work . Gear should be 4:10 I think.  Thinking 70s Jeep CJ should do. Parts avaiable. Right width. Not too heavy and a good reputation as well as a good slection of gears.  Driveshaft will be about 22 inches long it appears if I dont shorten the trans tailshaft and tailstock.  I will be sitting back a bit. But just a few inches, so it should work good. Next week I will fasten the body to the frame (bolt on) and then probably pop the engine and trans in for a fit and mounts.
I realize not everyone s into a for fun budget build but I enjoy it as long as reliablilty and performance doesnt suffer.
Would like to run typical times for the 60s.  Not personally into modern power in old style race cars. Like them they way they were. Just the way I am I guess.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »
Located and fastened the frame to the rear body. (Luggage floor pan bolted to the rear most frame crossmember by drilling threading and installing bolts)
Rechecked front end location . Looks good. Removed front metal between fenders ahead of the dash where the engine will go. Tired the seat position. Shoulder will be at the post. Not too bad . Just a few inches back of stock really. Engine will come into the cabin but that is to be expected.  transcrossmember wil be in a conveneint spot. Seat will be right at the kick up. Wonder If I can do a bench seat and keep it legal.  And no I didnt make any race car noises.
Don

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:36:02 PM »
Pictures would make it easier to follow the progress.
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 07:36:51 PM »
Ok. I made front body brackets today and temp tacked them . Have to move the chassis and body to the front of the shop to finish this part. Will picture it then. Much better light. Hoping to have an engine a tran set up for a trial fit by Sat. However Been married 43 years thursday so it would be unwise to work on it that day.
Don
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 07:38:59 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 03:48:09 AM »
Here are some pics. Not the prettiest time in a project but necessary just the same. Also got a lead on a rearend . Going to check right after breakfast.
Don

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 04:31:24 AM »
Here are some pics. Not the prettiest time in a project but necessary just the same. Also got a lead on a rearend . Going to check right after breakfast.
Don
Many not be the prettiest time but some can argue that it is one of the most fun.
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 07:10:27 PM »
Rear end turned out to be an 80s Jeep. They are much wider then a 70s Jeep so I am still looking. Tomorrow is a wash for the project as I already mentioned however the plan if possible it to have the engine and trans in for mock up and mount fabbing by Sat. Will definatley picture that. Got an hour in today and finished both of these front mounts. Frame will be below floor pan. That will give me a few more badly needed inches of Head/helmut room. Made front springs today. They will be in the next pic.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 02:38:37 PM »
Made more brackets today and welded them in. Also here are the front springs in their approx position. If you arent used to a 1/4 elip' front end stay tuned.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 04:45:42 PM »
Had a good day today. Went to my favourite wreckers today looking for a NOS masterCylinder kit for my 63 MAX WEDGE. I had a part number he had the part. He keeps such items in stock as he does a lot of Vintage work as well as running the yard. Told me he had a rather narrow Dodge rear end come in.  We went and measured it and I bought it to pick up next time I am there with my truck. He also has several spindles and we made a deal for a set of Dodge or International I beam axle spindles with brakes. I will make the rest.
Then he told me about a private stash of VW fenders and body parts he has.  The day couldnt have gone better.  Everythimg I needed he had. Price? So little I am not even gonna say. Been friends and fellow tradesmen (not to mention distant relatives) for many many years.
Don

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
Had a good day today. Went to my favourite wreckers today looking for a NOS masterCylinder kit for my 63 MAX WEDGE. I had a part number he had the part. He keeps such items in stock as he does a lot of Vintage work as well as running the yard. Told me he had a rather narrow Dodge rear end come in.  We went and measured it and I bought it to pick up next time I am there with my truck. He also has several spindles and we made a deal for a set of Dodge or International I beam axle spindles with brakes. I will make the rest.
Then he told me about a private stash of VW fenders and body parts he has.  The day couldnt have gone better.  Everythimg I needed he had. Price? So little I am not even gonna say. Been friends and fellow tradesmen (not to mention distant relatives) for many many years.
Don

Trade machine shop favors also?????
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 04:33:35 AM »
I sold my auto machine shop equipment complete just after completing the Nascar Returns to Lemans engine for the driver practice and promotional car. (Christophe Schwartz 72 Olympia Charger)I had had a good career and hadnt made any big mistakes. It was time, as patience and eyesight were on the wain. Tis a very different thing doing work for someone else then working on your own.  In my career many of the engines I built were for people who raced where I wasnt (Like Lemans for instance or Nurburgring or even Cayuga. Reading etc ) They had to work reliabliy when they left here and run for a long time without maintenace. Once you cant easily read mikes or jet sizes etc one would be playing with fire taking other's money when you KNOW your best days are behind you so I quit while I was ahead. I still have a couple of lathes and a big mill I bought for my own use but try to avoid outside work. My wife said because I worry when I am working on someone elses too much now that if someone brought a job here she would shot me never mind them. So I now just poke away taking far too long on stuff but enjoying it immensly. Probably more then you asked but tis the long and short of it. Now I basically explore all the stuff I never had time to do.
Don