Author Topic: Das Auto Gasser build . Slant Six VW bug  (Read 85091 times)

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Re: Das Auto Gasser build . Slant Six VW bug
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 04:53:16 PM »
Most rear body mounts installed . I could pull frame out and finish welding all the brackety  from the underside. I fooled around on the bigger holes in the body. Made several repairs. Also made a cardboard pattern for the front roll pan between the front fenders. This car is pretty tuf but that is ok. It is kind of interesting bringing it back to life. Trying to decide on a pair of Mooneyes or actual headlights. Anyway it was a productive day.
Don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 02:32:52 PM »
As I said before this body was pretty ruf. It had spent many years as a bush buggy back at the mines . Basically a 4wd truck chassis with a old tractor rear end with some sort of body (ie this one)sitting on top. The whole front section between the fenders were missing and there were lots of rust holes in the fenders. I had been given a set of 79 fendes but they dont have the rolled underneath the 72 do so I decided to fix these. Body work isnt my thing but I can scrape by at it. All the big holes are now filled and a brand new valance fabbed for between the two front fenders and under the lower part of the hood. Made and installed it today.
Nice distraction for a couple of days.
Don
I added this photo as you can see how tuf it was before with the front end not tied in.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:36:43 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 12:32:47 PM »
Good Day. Took frame back out. Did all the underwelding. Drilled and installed 1/4 eliphs for front axle. Also drilled holes for upper front axle link heim joints.  Frame still needs motor mounts and trans crossmember but it is coming together.
Don
Dragged out trans and dummied it up after supper. I may be able to drag engine over and fab mounts but need some help. Not easy to find some days. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 06:18:41 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 01:27:57 PM »
Nice to follow a build.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline 296moon

• View Profile
  • Your Track: santapod raceway uk
  • Your Vehicle: twinengined rail
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2013, 07:29:33 AM »
Likeing this alot, what are those 1/4 eliptics from

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2013, 05:22:59 PM »
It is a utility trailer spring that happens to be symetrical. I have used one before for other race cars. Seems to be about the right strength. I drill the two holes on each side of the stock centre bolt the chop it at the centre bolt hole . I underhang the tube axle and put a same length upper link on top. So far I have had shocks on all I have built too. The blue dragster is also a 1/4 elip. Single . Axle tube goes right through the spring eye. I really like 1/4 elips.
Today I got the engine and trans in the chassis and fabbed up a trans crossmember and tacked some mounts together. I will remove the mounts tomorrow probably and finish them completely now that I know exactly what it needs. Sorry no pics tonite. I am too tired.
Don
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 04:09:49 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2013, 04:26:01 AM »
Here is another one I built a few years back using the same spring. Ths was a Hemi Jeep altered or Jeep bucket (as opposed to T bucket.) This one will use the inside of the frame for the heim joint bracket and spring is bolted not clamped. (this VW frame is .180" wall so is about 1/3 stronger then the jeep which was 1 inch less in height and only .125" wall. )
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2013, 02:01:26 PM »
Fabbed mounts some more today. While workable I am not totally happy with driver's side . It needs a slight correction in angle which it will get first thing Monday. However motor and trans are sitting entirely on their own mounts so it is "in". Sorry for the motors appearance. I was given it and it is just as it arrived here. It is from a 68 Baracuda. I have no idea of condition. I dont even know if it turns over but if it does the car may get to make a few passes with a stock engine before going for surgery in the other side of the shop. I have now 4 intakes not including the stock one. 5 camshafts, four of which are custom made. I have a spare cylinder head with big valves and some good porting I ran till last fall. I even have a M90 blower. Also a MP  race converter for the 998 trans (lockup 904). However I am getting ahead of myself.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 04:07:50 AM »
The mounts are extra long as you can see. It is the plan to locate the engine exactly then chop the last couple of inches off , flip them over and weld  to the frame for  brackets. Then drill and bolt. All takes time and not everything goes perfect the first time but I have learned in bulding cars the hardest part is the first step. After that anything you are not happy with can be redone in an hour or so but you are underway so it doesn't seems as bad. My goal is, if possible, to have a running driving car at around the $500 mark. This engine may not run so that would mess that up. Also the trans is missing all its clutches , drums and front pump so the may be an issue. Anyway this is as home brew as possible which is what I enjoy BUT it will be a safe legal racecar and decent looking  too. Fast may have to come later but for now the goal is to "git er done". Paint will be Duplicolour premix for one time painters. I used it on my rail and got a good paint job despite my lack of fancy equipment and skill. Was my first attempt at painting a car. Colour will be their metalic red.  As per instructions, set gun at 30PSI, test spray on a cardboard or scrap then shoot. Nothing to add, nothing to mix just pour and shoot. It verked fur me. That paint is $25 per litre (approx US qt)here.

Don
Why start with the stock engine? First: It give one a spur on to the rest of the project but secondly: The $$$experts$$$, all those who KNOW, will be watching hoping it will be a bummer.  A solid but mild pass will bring out all the knowing smiles. Next time at the track with some POWER they will be rushing into the staging lanes to blow the doors off me not realizing I came loaded for bear. A hopped up slant six has a deceptively mild sound at even 1200 RPM. (Some of my you tube ride along will give you that sense as the engine purrs softly going to the line in a manner that is very relaxing and will almost put one to sleep) However on full throttle it comes "ALIVE!!!!!!" Some will be surprised and disappointed. Makes it all worth while for me. Kinda feeds my mean streak.
 The Golden Rule of Drag Racing
"Do unto others before they undo you"
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 04:38:05 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2013, 06:04:10 PM »
Went on a junk yard crawl today with an old friend and fellow mechanic. Had been probably 30 years since we did this. Still as much fun as it always was. We picked up the rear end I bought last week. It is an 8 1/4  mopar and is out of a 75 Duster (Dart Sport) They are a good strong rear end and gears and parts are easy to find. Width is 55 inches which is wider then I liked but still fits inside the VW bug rear fenders. Speaking of which I found a pair of rear fenders in the same wreckers. Brought one home. Will get the other next trip.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 04:07:05 AM »
I have the motor and trans installed and everything tacked in place. Got to remove it and finish all frame welds then clean it up and paint it. Rod ends for the ladder bars are ordered and should be here next week. Spindles are ordered so I can make the front axle when I get them. Brakes are included. Trying to decide ifI will sit in drivers location or sit in the middle. Is middle sitting really OK in a gasser built to pre 68 rules?
Don

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 05:27:10 AM »
I have the motor and trans installed and everything tacked in place. Got to remove it and finish all frame welds then clean it up and paint it. Rod ends for the ladder bars are ordered and should be here next week. Spindles are ordered so I can make the front axle when I get them. Brakes are included. Trying to decide ifI will sit in drivers location or sit in the middle. Is middle sitting really OK in a gasser built to pre 68 rules?
Don

This is what the local Gasser Serries rules says, not sure what your local Gasser rules are, you should check

"6.0 INTERIOR
Seats
Driver’s seat must be to left side of drive shaft. Properly braced, framed, and supported.
Seats constructed of aluminum, fiberglass, carbon fiber or double-layer poly
(automotive accessory seats) permitted. *

* Excerpt in whole or part from IHRA/NHRA rule book
þ - 1/8th mile ET Posted 3/11/2013 rules"
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 07:41:02 PM »
Thanks Glenn. I will stick to that then.
Today I got a phone call from a Mopar guy I did engines for for almost 20 years. Said he was giving me a set of front wheels and tires he used to run on his race car. Thought they would look good on the Bug gasser and he was weary of moving them around in his crowded shop eveytime he had to do something. My friend Mike with the Willys Gasser also offered a set of loaner push it around rear wheels  and tires.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 07:00:23 PM »
My 5/8 rod ends came today. I finished one ladder bar (welding on female threaded inserts and installing heim joint for test fit. I will probably finish the other tomorrrow.
Don
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:16:52 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 03:24:26 PM »
Now to make the diff brackets and get it all together. Bit by bit it is coming together.
Don