Author Topic: shorty glide to std tail shaft  (Read 8728 times)

Offline noslin

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 0.00
  • Your Engine: none
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: west coast
shorty glide to std tail shaft
« on: August 27, 2016, 04:42:32 PM »
first, i dont know anything about glides...   an old freind seen me posting on FB about selling some of my vw parts so i can buy a PG.  he had a RED and just recently sold it.   had a spare glide but its a shorty.   so, what has to happen to change it to a normal tail shaft?  does hte output shaft change.   he didnt know much about glides either.   he's going to send me the specs on it and ill know more about it.

thank you
dean

dreracecar

Re: shorty glide to std tail shaft
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 05:51:49 PM »
Unfortunately it's hard rivited to the planetary gear set

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 06:33:24 AM »
To convert it back to a std length trans the planetary will need changed along with replacing the shorty cover with a governor support and stock extention housing.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 07:43:02 AM »
shorty glide isnt typically used in a fed right?

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 08:03:31 AM »
Using a shorty glide in a FED is completely acceptable. It gives you the ability to make the car lighter and it makes installation and removal from the car a bit easier. The two quickest Jr Fuel cars on the planet (Parks and Darcy) use a shorty kit. Mine has a shorty kit too.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 09:36:09 AM »
ok, thank you. thats nice to know. ill find out specs on the glide. 

dreracecar

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 12:41:36 PM »
Using a shorty glide requires more couplers and a extra shaft along with a cover whereas a long glide thats part of the trans, Plus with those extra pieces there is more driveline slop at the hit that has to lock-up before the car starts to move

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 03:34:22 PM »
I have customers with both combos in FED's its more a choice than, one works better than the other. It is more what rear mounting for the trans do you have? It is easier to convert the teans to fit the car, than to convert the car to fit the trans.

Offline noslin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 03:50:20 PM »
chassis is being built, so no mounts yet. i think he was going ot set it up for standard long PG.  if the consensus that a long glide is best then thats the direction ill go in. if shorty will work but performance suffers then i wont get it. 

i have about 2k in parts (case and bare heads) this guy would trade for.  it is in a stock case but has shield???  so not a SFI rated case.  case would be another 1400... so i dont know if he wants to give me cash or ?  i need to figure that part out.  new trans from what i have seen on the net for say 1800 hp are about 4k.

as side note, IF in A/Fuel do most run PG or clutch setup on blown cars.  i would think at that level a clutch 2speed. ?   if thats the case then a mount would have to be installed anyways for the other trans;  liberty, lenco or ?   not sure what is used. 

im just trying to see the best option.

ty
dean

dreracecar

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 05:49:09 PM »
PG used in a dragster should only use the bell housing bolts for attachment and no rear mount, best to let it float

Offline bikeguy307

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 08:50:21 AM »
The trans should have some kind of limiting mount on the rear, what kind and how to do it should be addressed in RooMan's fourm. If you are going to make any kind of power now or in the future, I recommend going with the aftermarket case now. You will be money ahead in the long run.

dreracecar

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 09:14:19 AM »
Even Roo will tell you its better to let them float off the motor plate, Door cars are a different story and having a rear mount is an acceptable practice.

Aftermarket cases are a definite plus, just wish the case cert was a little longer than 5 years

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 09:25:39 AM »
if thats the case then a mount would have to be installed anyways for the other trans;  liberty, lenco or ?   not sure what is used. 

ty
dean

No mount on the transmission they just hang off the can.

dreracecar

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 09:52:03 AM »

as side note, IF in A/Fuel do most run PG or clutch setup on blown cars.  i would think at that level a clutch 2speed. ?   if thats the case then a mount would have to be installed anyways for the other trans;  liberty, lenco or ?   not sure what is used. 

ty
dean

There is only one team that I know of running a PG in A/F and has spent a ton of money trying to get it to work and he is still not close to the front-runners. Soooooo many gear choices with the Lencos and others whereas the 'glide, What? 3?. Since A/F runs a spec pump, the early pump speed (fuel volume) is nessasary at the hit. One can achieve that with clutch slippage before it locks up. The converter does not offer that option. so what happens is that low fuel volume creates less HP and the torque of the auto-trans will cause tire shake. If it does not go into shake the PG will leave the line quicker than the clutch car,  the auto trans will peak out (converter slippage) and the clutch will lock towards direct drive and be about 15MPH faster on the big end

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 05:43:47 AM »
PG used in a dragster should only use the bell housing bolts for attachment and no rear mount, best to let it float

we did this and had nothing but trouble with the coupler binding up.  We now use two turnbuckles threaded into the rear cover down to the chassis rails and adjust then to take some weight off the coupler.