Author Topic: Direct drive coupler for my FED project  (Read 14815 times)

Offline FED1965

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: none
  • Your Engine: 283 Chevrolet
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: none
  • General Location: Winnipeg Manitoba
Direct drive coupler for my FED project
« on: February 27, 2016, 09:28:04 PM »
Hi everyone. I am just starting the process of building a period correct JR Fuel car that has to be period correct to 1965-67 as much as possible. I am going to build it approx 150' wheelbase with a period correct 3 pt cage. I don't expect to go that fast I just want it to look the part and smoke the tires a lot. I will be running a 283 or 302" Chevrolet with a Hilborn on Alcohol. I am going to run direct drive. I have the 1966 Lakewood explosion can and an old shaft with the bearing that fits into the center of the can-it was used on an old Altered from where I live in 1966-70. My question is where do I go to get the stuff I need to install an "in and out box" or disconnect for the driveline. I absolutely WILL NOT run an automatic and do not really want a reverser but would consider one as they did not come out till 69. I don't want to run a 3 speed with low gear removed either. I want this this to pretty much be bang on for 1965-67. Any help would be appreciated. Also looking for period correct rear wheels, steering box and wheel, etc etc. Any parts will be much appreciated-I should have started this project 20 years ago when parts were cheaper! I live close to the US border so I can have stuff shipped to North Dakota. I would like to get this direct drive thing sorted out first though. Phone number is 204 250 7123. Thanks Adam. The pic is pretty much exactly what it will look like when it's finished. I am really picky about the cage, chassis, rear end type, front suspension, etc. ANY old fire masks, etc. Much appreciated!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 09:33:09 PM by FED1965 »

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: Direct drive coupler for my FED project
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:08:37 AM »
My pal Danny Sanderlin has some real mag wheels he will sell reasonable--he is in NC   email me dusterdave173@gmail.com and I will get you his info--Jon Hansen/ hansen wheel buys every vintage front wheel he can get and usually has some on hand --he is on this board and in Calif  Hansen Wheel
Bitchin looking dragster I hope you nail it!  Welcome
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 07:55:53 AM »
Hi everyone. I am just starting the process of building a period correct JR Fuel car that has to be period correct to 1965-67 as much as possible. I am going to build it approx 150' wheelbase with a period correct 3 pt cage. I don't expect to go that fast I just want it to look the part and smoke the tires a lot. I will be running a 283 or 302" Chevrolet with a Hilborn on Alcohol. I am going to run direct drive. I have the 1966 Lakewood explosion can and an old shaft with the bearing that fits into the center of the can-it was used on an old Altered from where I live in 1966-70. My question is where do I go to get the stuff I need to install an "in and out box" or disconnect for the driveline. I absolutely WILL NOT run an automatic and do not really want a reverser but would consider one as they did not come out till 69. I don't want to run a 3 speed with low gear removed either. I want this this to pretty much be bang on for 1965-67. Any help would be appreciated. Also looking for period correct rear wheels, steering box and wheel, etc etc. Any parts will be much appreciated-I should have started this project 20 years ago when parts were cheaper! I live close to the US border so I can have stuff shipped to North Dakota. I would like to get this direct drive thing sorted out first though. Phone number is 204 250 7123. Thanks Adam. The pic is pretty much exactly what it will look like when it's finished. I am really picky about the cage, chassis, rear end type, front suspension, etc. ANY old fire masks, etc. Much appreciated!

First things first, welcome to the Front Engine Dragsters forum.

Second, that pictured Jr fuel car is indeed bitchin.

Third, FED1965, I like your style.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 08:51:50 AM »

FYI I did not jump right on his case, I sent a PM welcoming him.

I also made the picture he posted his avatar
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 04:13:05 PM »
Welcome to the pipe rack dark side:)
I've no direct drive parts but I'm only a couple hours south of you. Let me know If I can help.

Offline dwrfab

• View Profile
  • Your Track: North star and texas raceway
  • Your Vehicle: Scorpion 1 soon The U. S. Kids AA/FD
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 04:39:53 PM »
Check out my web site  www.donrossfab.com  I have two different types of disconnects Don Ross 214-327-7312
My life is my wife and building dragsters and parts.  My web site is www.donrossfab.com

Offline FED1965

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 09:22:14 PM »
Wow thanks very much guys for all the great advice and Don Ross that looks like just what I need! I will be giving you a call soon to discuss. I am so glad I found a site like this one! I will be in touch with a couple of you and keep everyone posted on the progress. I need to gather some parts before things really get rolling but it is time to do that so let's go!

Offline FED1965

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 09:23:47 PM »
Check out my web site  www.donrossfab.com  I have two different types of disconnects Don Ross 214-327-7312

Perfect ! I love it. Love the Scorpion digger-Bobby Vodnik was the driver correct?

Offline FED1965

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 09:24:52 PM »

FYI I did not jump right on his case, I sent a PM welcoming him.

I also made the picture he posted his avatar
Thanks for the warm welcome Glenn! Makes a cold day here in Winnipeg a little better!

Offline FED1965

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 09:26:02 PM »
Welcome to the pipe rack dark side:)
I've no direct drive parts but I'm only a couple hours south of you. Let me know If I can help.
Thanks man I appreciate it! Any leads on any Olds rear parts or complete units? Wheels, FT axle assembly etc.?

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 04:18:43 AM »
PM sent

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 08:19:20 AM »
I have a complete 57/64 Olds/ Pont rear end, Has Wilwood brakes, 35 spline strange axles & Spool, This is ready to run. If you are interested just send me a PM
 Thanks & welcome to the FED board.
 Van

dreracecar

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 09:05:26 AM »
Unless the track owner is your Father-in-law, be prepared NOT to be able to run the car down the track in stated condition.
 A consideration for the IN & OUT box is determined buy some factors
How far the motor is out from the rear end and is there one that will fit without changing that dimention
How many push starts and stationary idles you plan on doing that you for the most part just slide the couplers apart (zero cost) in the pits or at a show. If you dont get real stupid with the clutch assy, holding it in for a few minutes during a Cackle parade/push start Cackle should not present a problem. If its your desire to have one, then go for it. I think the one by the Hampsire Bros will fit a close coupled design (motor out 26")
If you desire is the look and not a restoration of an original documented car, then go with a Chrys 8 3/4 rear end. Physicly the same size as the '49 Olds and if you were to swap the rear covers, you could not really tell the difference and the parts avail is 100 to 1 and is a period piece because they were available back then. Any Olds parts you see advertised know are for the later "Big" Olds and will not be correct for your build. Low gear ratios came in ambulances and milk trucks and all but gone unless somebody is hoarding them.
 Chassis componants are not that difficult to obtain, I can build a period correct front axle with original Anglia spindles and can even do a front torsion assy, But why even stop there and have Me or someone else build the basic car for you and you can finnish it.
 Starting a project like this without a basic understanding of the parts involved and getting input from all directions thrown at you will prove to be difficult - costly - time consuming. If its because you cant afford a pro- build? but you can afford the mistakes?
 Pick a single builder that will work with you to build what YOU want and start there

dreracecar

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 09:09:01 AM »
I have a complete 57/64 Olds/ Pont rear end, Has Wilwood brakes, 35 spline strange axles & Spool, This is ready to run. If you are interested just send me a PM
 Thanks & welcome to the FED board.
 Van

Sorry,  a completely wrong rear for this build,  its the small 49 that was used (2/3's the size of that '57)