Author Topic: Direct drive coupler for my FED project  (Read 14814 times)

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
Re: Direct drive coupler for my FED project
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
If you want ultra lite nostalgia the old (small) Pontiac or better still the 8 3/4 Chrysler. I run the big 57- 64 Pontiac/Olds. Works great.
Fabcraft should have most any repair parts you may need for the big Pontiac. They also have a very good book on rebuilding.

dreracecar

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 11:50:21 AM »
Leg room in a small car is the primary issue as to why the '49 housing

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 12:20:18 PM »
for leg room my dads first dragster very early 60's car, had a Ford Lincoln Zephyr rear end in it "Banjo"

Offline digster

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 03:06:15 PM »
dre I kind of like that rather big and heavy feeling in that area ;D You Know. Extra Iron! ;D

dreracecar

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 04:13:32 PM »
When was the last time you heard of one comming apart and nailing a driver????? you cant.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 05:05:04 PM »
This accident happened before I started racing at the now closed Motion Raceway. Sheared mounting bolts that I have heard were questionable. A blown FED.

Chuck Stratman 

Born:  January 8, 1950

Died:  July 1, 1972

Buried:  Memorial Lawn Cemetery, Jacksonville, Illinois

Full Name: Charles Dewitt Stratman

Nickname: 

Drag Strip:  Motion Raceway, near Assumption, Illinois

Event:   

Accident Date:  July 1972

Car: front-engined T/F

Biographical:  The car owners were Chuck Stratman and Dick Brodan from Jacksonville, Illinois.  About 600 feet out from the starting line, the pinion broke, locking up the rear end.  It sheared the bolts off that were holding the rear end to the chassis uprights.  The rear end spun down and under Chuck.  It drove him up into the cage which broke his neck.

Sources

Bob Gibson, e-mail communication with site administrator, Jan. 14 and Jan. 17, 2013

Social Security Death Index:  Charles Stratman, b. Jan. 8, 1950, d. July 1972, SS # issued Illinois in 1966

Photos

Bob Gibson, e-mail communication with site administrator, Jan. 17, 2013

Brogdan-Stratman dragster at Motion Raceway, courtesy of Bob Gibson
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 05:08:15 PM by George »

dreracecar

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 06:01:20 PM »
Common denominator was "Sheared mounting bolts" due to poor mounting, lack of bolts and lack of anti-rotation plate/mount and not the R&P comming out or the 3rd member exploding. At that point it did not matter what the rear end is or was. I the last 25 years of FE dragsters I have seen plenty of blown R&P's (Ford , Chrys, and Olds (big and small))and none/nothing has ever come out
Add to that list Jack Chrisman, Mike Sorokin, Rich Guasco, all injured from a total spin out

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
  • General Location: west coast
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 06:32:18 PM »
I have a complete 57/64 Olds/ Pont rear end, Has Wilwood brakes, 35 spline strange axles & Spool, This is ready to run. If you are interested just send me a PM
 Thanks & welcome to the FED board.
 Van

Sorry,  a completely wrong rear for this build,  its the small 49 that was used (2/3's the size of that '57)

Bruce you don't need to be sorry for posting your opinion.  I have owned quite a few FED's that saw time as J/F and the very early ones did have the early ?-56 Olds rear (junk) but most cars built in the stated 65 though 67 era had 8 3/4 and a couple I owned in the early 70's did have the larger 57-64 Olds. One car had the 55=57 Chevy, I can't even imagine a new car being built in 67 with the early Olds. The 8 3/4 would be my top choice for use with a little Chevy., but if cost is a factor ? Just like my FED I run now and built it with a Dana 60. I blew up to many 8 3/4 Chryslers but I don't run SBC's.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2016, 06:49:29 PM »
Common denominator was "Sheared mounting bolts" due to poor mounting, lack of bolts and lack of anti-rotation plate/mount and not the R&P comming out or the 3rd member exploding. At that point it did not matter what the rear end is or was. I the last 25 years of FE dragsters I have seen plenty of blown R&P's (Ford , Chrys, and Olds (big and small))and none/nothing has ever come out
Add to that list Jack Chrisman, Mike Sorokin, Rich Guasco, all injured from a total spin out

I have never heard of a fatal accident from a Ring or pinion gear exiting the rear end assembly either. I shared the article to help prove problem installations can be bad news . I also took a look back to date the accident. I actually thought it was several years later.

Offline digster

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »
I was told at least one the gentlemen on that list were using alum. bolts with drilled centers. If that is indeed the case the ring and pinion would be the least of my rear worries.