Author Topic: which compound is right for fed tire  (Read 9394 times)

Offline LaneM

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.68 1/4
  • Your Engine: BBC 548ci crowler injected alky
  • Your Track: RMR West Valley,Utah
  • Your Vehicle: front engine digger of course
which compound is right for fed tire
« on: October 14, 2014, 04:40:36 PM »
I got a fed that weighs 1360 pds without my big belly it came with new hooisers 32x13x15 is do5 compound..i talked to a guy named steve at hooiser he thought I should be running c07..perhaps mine are to sticky for weight of ride..so whats everyones take on this..I have had gremlins I have been sorting out and wondering if this also adds to it all..thanks

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Re: which compound is right for fed tire
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 04:46:08 PM »
D05 is very soft. I have set I bought used and now thinking I may regret. been told they hook but hook and bite extra hard in burnout. I have no experiance with them yet. Most sem to think a litte harder compound would be better from what I have gathered.

What issues.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 05:06:19 PM »
When GoodYear told me they were not going to make the 31x12x15 [D2585]  last year or this year, I called Hoosier about 12" slicks since NHRA JrFuel has a limit of 12" tires. They told me they make three 12" slicks, 31x12, 32x12, and 33x12, but he said the 32x12 is a soft compound, made for door cars, in that they need a tire that Hooks, shift, hooks, shift, etc. I know some of the racers racing 7.0Pro have won running the 33x12x15 Hoosier.
FED's with Powerglides, need a harder compound  to keep the tire speed up so as to not hook and pull the motor down out of it's power range.
I would go with the harder compound for FED use.
BTW, I talked GoodYear into making a batch of 31x12x15, by pre-selling 180 tires which was delivered last Aug. if interested, I have a set of new GoodYears, and one or two sets of used for sale. This is the tire almost all JF racers use, running as fast as 6.76, 195mph.
Let me know if I can help, 805-444-4489

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:12:32 PM »
I have never found any of the tracks we ran having the same prep to where compound made any difference, and certanly not rich enough to have all the options ready to go, My luck was always whatever they had in stock at the time and only one compound offering, could never tell the difference and really did not matter in an index race

Offline LaneM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 09:11:57 PM »
great thoughts guys thanks..I have felt in my 9 passes with these tires that I perhaps had some hook..grab..ect..I have had some monsterous shake as well but have found tires/wheels to be out of balance,perhaps to tall of gear also added to that..I am waitn for new ring and pinion to see what that does..I was a 390 now got 4.29 coming(Richmond pro gears)..figure if I go to lower elevation I can take some timing out if need be..I really hate taking these tires off since they r more/less new but I am concerened about having shake again(they r balanced now)and perhaps hurtn something else..thanks for all advice

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 01:40:57 PM »
Is this your car?

Offline LaneM

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 08:43:18 PM »
why yes it is..lol..have you seen this run?the time slip I have is from june 27,2014..looks like a tune and test day..I couldn't see anything on Lebanon valleys web site but might not know where to look..if you know the guy I got it from and know the ride you know it has some awesome parts just got the new bugs to hammer out..I got my new jw bell on now,belt back from stroud(was expiring end of this month)is now back in ride and meziere just put my new certed flex plate in the mail to me today.Still haven't got my ring and pinion(was 390  now going to 430) hopefully all this is here mid next week then it will be back together and now the thought is possibly try to get to vegas for the thanksgiving deal..got see if I have any money left..ha ha..
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:11:04 PM by LaneM »

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »
Lane I have not seen your car in person . when you posted your pictures of it I recognized from a picture I had seen on facebook . Cen Penn has a page on facebook called sling shot dragsters . From the posts I read the guy who owned it is from ny . I wish I could help you more . Perhaps a call to Cen Penn might give you some imformation about the car . You have a very nice looking car and with that 540 cube motor it should be plenty fast ! I agree that you might have the wrong tire on your car but it might be worth another try . I have run The Hoosier 12x33 co9 tire on my F.E.D. and it was  pretty good tire . I currently run the 12x31 Goodyears but as Jon said the are hard to find . When you do get new tires try to get rid of those tubes and go tubeless ! Bill

Offline LaneM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »
I will do just that..thanks a lot bill