Author Topic: transmission mount  (Read 11565 times)

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.69 @ 173.5mph
  • Your Engine: 510 B1MC Wedge
  • Your Track: sacramento raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 02 200" fed
  • General Location: west coast
transmission mount
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »
Is it bad to have tailshaft of trans solid mounted to frame on a fed? I have read all about no mount to must have some cushion in the mount. The FED I help out with has never had mount bolts in it, just sits on cross member. Last time out it wiped out the tail shaft bushing. If mount is bolted up everything lines up perfect and coupler slides back and forth smoothly. Would it be a bad idea to bolt it down? I have pics and will down size them and up load them soon.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:40:04 PM by hemidakota »
If it jams force it, if it breaks it needed replaced anyways

dreracecar

Re: transmission mount
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 07:24:27 PM »
My only expierience is with High HP cars,  The engine moves around a bunch at launch even though it tied in very well. High possability of cracking the trans case if one bolts the tail housing to the chassie. 20 years of not running a rear mount and just letting it hang off the back of the engine.

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 08:20:31 PM »
Do you use a shorty glide or a regular glide? Sorry just trying to learn. Bushing or Needle bearing in output? Wiped out a nice Teflon coated bushing in 8 runs is why I ask, with no mount bolts.

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 09:31:04 PM »
Some info, may or may not apply.

I ran a 8 second mild steel chassis Nova, and never had a rear trans mount.  It hung off the rear of the motor (motor plates) only.  Full length glide. Stock case.

Ran a late model circle track car, no trans mount, hung off the back of the motor only (motor plates).  Full length glide. Stock case.

My 7 second dragster has a shorty glide, never had a trans mount.  Dedenbear case and JW case

Let it move.  no mount needed. 
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 01:43:53 AM »
I ran a mount in my previous altered.  Reid case and stock tail.  I put over 200 runs on it with no problems.  With my digger I won't be running one as it's a shorty box and as pointed out on here by Bruce and others it's a pain to mount off the governor or pan rails

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 03:30:04 AM »
After breaking the tailshaft on the glide in this car , all the dragster guys told me to stop bolting the tail down , after that no problems, this was back in the late 70's when I had this car,, Tim Jones

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 05:32:22 AM »
I recently re-worked an altered that was trying to break the trans mount bracket off the cross member. The car had other issues (no uprights where the motor mounted etc) and when I fixed them I also cut the remains of the trans mount off the cross member. In the factory installation of a Chevy motor/trans the entire package hags off mounts near the front of the block and one on the extension housing so the transmission is obviously strong enough to carry a lot of load. As Bruce notes, even on a tube chassis car there is a lot of flex due to torque and mounting at three points (front, mid plate and trans) can have a tendency to tear things up. If letting the trans float is killing the bushing I would look at the chassis itself--it may be flexing enough to put excessive load on the coupler.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 06:27:53 AM »
Thank you for all your input. Cannot find anything wrong with chassis. Should we cut the mount off?

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 06:28:56 AM »
Interesting thread. I always ran a mount but never solid. At the very least two layers of tire tue rubber under the trans pad with the bolts in and loctited or captured but not super tight however I ran torkflights which are in most cases long transmissions compared to a PG. I had one friend , engine customer, who said I was nuts and is constantly having to weld or replace his trans case because of severe cracking. Usually every season.
don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

dreracecar

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 08:22:16 AM »
Yes cut that mount off,  I'm running a long glide and a standard tailshaft bushing

Offline Van

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189 with this car
  • Your Engine: Lincoln blown alky 534
  • Your Track: Bakersfield Ca.
  • Your Vehicle: Dragster
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 08:44:15 AM »
Interesting thread. I always ran a mount but never solid. At the very least two layers of tire tue rubber under the trans pad with the bolts in and loctited or captured but not super tight however I ran torkflights which are in most cases long transmissions compared to a PG. I had one friend , engine customer, who said I was nuts and is constantly having to weld or replace his trans case because of severe cracking. Usually every season.
don

This is how I have always done it . A soft pad under the trans mounting pad - never cinched down. I also make my mount as a bipod with small tube and a plate on top, this is never welded to the frame, just hose clamped to the frame. I have never broke anything or wiped a bushing.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 09:02:13 AM »
Seems most say don't need mount and can actually cause problem. Seems win win. Cut it off less weight at no cost and possibly avoid damage to trans.

I have thought about making one and thought about it causing problem,decided not to do.For once my over thinking keep me from trouble and extra cost.That rarely happens.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 09:05:59 AM »
No mount on ours and no problems. Full length glide.

Offline hemidakota

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 09:34:59 AM »
Well it appears the mount is getting cut off. Thanks for all the input. Was thinking mount might be causing problem but there I go thinking again. There is no room for error on this one as for trans sits right on mount bolts or no bolts. Thanks again for all the input. See everyone at the HRR. Good times soon to come!