Author Topic: my fed crazyness....with cert  (Read 8112 times)

Offline cj92345

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 350
  • Your Track: fontana
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 britting
my fed crazyness....with cert
« on: September 12, 2014, 08:00:41 AM »
bought fed that prior owner said "probably won't cert" so low 10's is fine with me, bought it

been running a year no problems.

last trip to bakesfield tech said "I need a cert to run low tens"

called NHRA tech in indy they said I need a cert for low tens....10.20's

called division 7 tech, also told I need a chassis cert, made an appointment.

tech came out and cert'ed the car to 7.50

tech guy left and called back 1 hour later and said I don't need a cert, I could peel the cert off and sent it back and get my $240.00 back :o

I said i'll keep it if that's ok,

tech guy was super cool about it

Offline jspell

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.48 / 178
  • Your Track: Maple Grove Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 2014 Ken Keir Dragster
Re: my fed crazyness....with cert
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 10:52:47 AM »
That's better than buying a car with new NHRA cert, then having it re-certified by NHRA and telling you all the tubing is too thin, then admitting the car was mistakenly certified by them in the first place.  Subsequently, I sold the car for pennies on the dollar...crazy!

Offline cj92345

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: 350
  • Your Track: fontana
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 britting
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 11:04:02 AM »
yeah...that would suck :-\

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 05:43:07 AM »
Crazy ,Glad it worked out in the end,, Tim Jones

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 12:05:35 PM »
This is crazy. I was standing there when you were told it needed a cert.  Now it doesn't? The same tech guy tried to tell my friend he needed a -20 suit for a 10 second injected alky altered, WITH a complete floor (no open transmission).

Do these guys even read the rule book???
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:18:16 PM »
I have a customer who had his local tech guy replace the cage on his vintage FED. It is not even close to being legal as the front hoop is near vertical.
   At Bowling Green in 2010 I had a couple of newbie tech guys tell me that the shoulder belts in the fuel car were not legal as the were necked down to 2" wide where they sat on the HANS device--this despite the fact that the belts had a current 16.1 tag. Their argument was that the book said 3" wide and they might have been "rally car" belts. The book specifies that 16.1 is for 3" belts and narrowing them down so that the don't slip off the HANS is common practice among the belt manufacturers.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline husker-rat

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Mid-America Motorplex
  • Your Vehicle: 65 Nova and working on a 23T altered
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 06:11:33 PM »
I keep reading this about TECH inspectors and I wonder WHO hires these people and what makes them qualified? Safety IS first but common sense should be in there somewhere. Just because they have a title of TECH INSPECTOR does not mean they know what they are doing.I have seen this in the area that I live, both in drag racing ang dirt track racing.Some certification should be involved instead of just showing up and saying I will do it.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 04:38:56 AM »
Anyone who does NHRA certifications has to go to "school" with that group to get the credential. Track tech guys--not so much as it is usually whoever they can get for the job. That said the NHRA process seems to have some issues at times as evidenced by the guy that worked on my customer's car.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 05:45:11 AM »

At Bowling Green in 2010 I had a couple of newbie tech guys tell me that the shoulder belts in the fuel car were not legal as the were necked down to 2" wide where they sat on the HANS device--this despite the fact that the belts had a current 16.1 tag. Their argument was that the book said 3" wide and they might have been "rally car" belts. The book specifies that 16.1 is for 3" belts and narrowing them down so that the don't slip off the HANS is common practice among the belt manufacturers.

Roo
[/quote]
    And the belts are still 3" wide, just folded over and sewn. I hope you brought them up to speed.

Offline LaneM

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.68 1/4
  • Your Engine: BBC 548ci crowler injected alky
  • Your Track: RMR West Valley,Utah
  • Your Vehicle: front engine digger of course
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 10:40:10 PM »
having a cert on a ride is always better then not having it..the cost sucks but if you want to bail on that ride for another a up to date sticker might make the deal for you :)