Author Topic: new guy intro with old fed  (Read 16784 times)

Offline ts39256

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1971 Mark Williams 210" FED
new guy intro with old fed
« on: February 04, 2013, 12:32:40 AM »
Hi everyone! My name is Tommy Stein. I`m kind of new to this computer forum stuff, it may take me awhile to get the hang of it. I got hooked on drag raceing in the late sixtes, going to Lions, Irwindale, and OCIR most every weekend. I lusted over the AA/FD`s and finally bought one last year. It`s a Mark Williams with a 210 inch wheelbase. I think it`s a 1971 vintage.It has the small canard wings by the engine and those 'billboards' for the middle body tin. It was last raced in 2011 with a blown BBC. I bought it less engine and putting a SBC in it, but have a 1957 392 on the engine stand! Baby steps you know! Owning a dragster is new for me, it`s going to take some time, I`ve got alot of questions! This is going to be a great site ! TOMMY
never blink, never lift

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: new guy intro with old fed
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:39:49 AM »
Welcome. I'm new myself, but learning, Ask your questions and we will all learn with you. Nice introduction.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 05:46:22 AM »
Tommy,

Its just bench racing with a key board. Come on in and lets talk racecars.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline rd martin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:18:23 PM »
thanks guys for starting this site! my first time posting here, im one of the chassis research guys , building a 96 in w.b. injected sbc.  i have been enjoying reading about glenns car for awhile now. looking forward to reading what everybodys doing. im finally getting back to mine. thanks rich

Offline ts39256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 08:59:12 PM »
Thanks everyone. I`m trying to mock-up the SBC in it. I got a dummy block, put the mid-plate on, bolted the shorty glide on and set her in. Seamed to like it where its at. Was worried about crankshaft to pinion alignment. I used the BBC mid-plate that had been used with the car. There was no side to side or  up and down movement after setting it in,I think I`m close. Made up front aluminum front plate mounts, bolted to chromoly tube mounts and those clamped to the frame rails. This might seem like dragster 101 to you veteran guys out therebut I want to do this right AND SAFE.
never blink, never lift

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 06:46:50 AM »
Tommy - you'll be astonished how many times you have to put the engine/trans in and take it out again.  After a few months, you could do it easily with the lights off.  I had picked up a bare unfinished chassis in 2009.  Greg, the local nhra sfi chassis cert guy come by to check it out.  If it wouldn't certify, it was just going to be a wall hanger.  He looked at it and guessed it to be early '80s vintage.  There was a 1/2 inch u-joint steering coupler tacked in.  He pulled the dust cover back and read the serial number.  I think the number ended in a -80.  Greg said there you go "1980."  We all try to know as much history about our car (if we didn't build it new) plus it fun to know when you talk about it.  My first dragster's home track was Lions, "Flathead Obsession" I'm the second owner.  Did you ever see it run at the Beach?

rd -  96" wb.......  that'll be exciting launch. 

Offline ts39256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 02:22:52 AM »
Thanks denverflatheader. I was just a young teen back in the late sixtys,don`t remember seeing your car exsactly, but I sure may have. There was always a sea of diggers there. I grew up in Granada Hills and Don Prudhomme and Paula Murphy lived close by. Sometimes on a Friday evening they would test fire their fueler and it would just thunder the valley! Well now that I`ve got the motor set, The next task I`m working on is the throttle linkage. I have the small Moon dragster pedal,a Holley 650 carb, and nothing inbetween. Should I try a cable hook-up or a direct metal rod set-up? I may have to turn the carb around to get a straight push. Pros n cons?
never blink, never lift

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 05:47:51 AM »
ts39256, you running a driveshaft or a coupler?

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 07:02:54 AM »
Good story on Granada Hills.  I'm using a metal rod.  I like the looks better than a cable.  There's options to turning your carb around, I'll take a picture of one option and send it to you at lunchtime. 

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:30:27 PM »
Here's two pictures, self explanatory.  Bob (friend in Denver) built this on his car as his throttle pedal and fi linkage was on opposite sides.  His use of 1/4 inch rod and a few connectors is simple setup.   

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »
Just picture your carb replacing jack stand.....

Offline bud

• Thanks for the Memories
    • View Profile
    • Buds-Motorsports
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile =7.32
  • Your Engine: SBC
  • Your Track: Closed now MAR. KCIR.
  • Your Vehicle: FED,RMD..
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:46 PM »
Hi Tommy I'm new here myself. I ran at Lions in the late 50t and early 60t till I got my Draft notice.
 And Drag racing was put on hold for 4 years of playing in the Air Force. oh and you talking about making
noise Tom Mcquin lived just behind the A&W off of Bellflower BLVD and would fire up the Mcquinn and Adams car getting
Ready For Lions Good Times. I drove the Latham Flying "A" altered for George Latham on Santa Fe Blvd L.B.
and I drove for US Speed and Sports FED Back in those days.

Thanks For the memories
Bud

Offline ts39256

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 03:06:29 PM »
hotrod 316, I`m useing a mark williams'greek' coupler, don`t know the spline count offhand. Hey guys, when did the use of the 'greek coupler 'come into standard practice? Did it have something to do with one of my heroes Chris Karamesines? Well thats all 'greek' to me. LOL
never blink, never lift

Offline ts39256

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »
denverflatheader, Excellent! The pictures are a great help. Thanks for posting! I don`t have knack of posting photos yet, heck I just got my first cell phone 4 years ago LOL. I`ll have to have someone take some pics of my rail, but don`t hold your breath,may take awhile.
never blink, never lift

Offline ts39256

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »
Bud, thanks for posting. Wow, both an altered and rail pilot. Maybe some day I`ll live the dream, but at least i`ve finally have a dragster.
never blink, never lift