Author Topic: seat support requirement  (Read 6104 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
seat support requirement
« on: April 30, 2014, 03:49:13 PM »
I have chassis about done and finalizing few thing. My seat has 1" bar across front(at uprights) and the rear rest on rear bars.This is raised seat chassis.The seat it self does not have any bars under the butt. Do I have to have them? Seat fastens to 4 places attaching it to chassis and upper section. If have to have are moly straps suffiecent.1"x .090? I may also be making carbon fiber one piece seat later. Oh yea building to 2.2c spec on everything else,so might as well meet it here also. Could not find it in specs but then I am bad about reading over stuff at times.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
Re: seat support requirement
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 02:22:42 AM »
don't know about specs but I just cut out my seat straps and replaced then with 1" tube.  My rationale was that in a crash with multiple rolls and impacts the straps and seat pan could bend which would make my belts go slack.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 07:35:39 AM »
There is noting in the spec but as you note a couple of straps is probably a good idea.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 01:06:24 PM »
There is noting in the spec but as you note a couple of straps is probably a good idea.

Roo

Hey is that a fat joke? I lost 45 lbs so far. Man just not feeling the love any more. Now imagine dennis the mennis looking dwon pouting kicking across top of floor,why are all the trouble causing kids pertrayed as blonde kid?

seriuosly after looking at it more cpl small tubes look like good idea little more support for my FAT butt,
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 07:29:09 AM »
I should have some photos of the Murf strap that I use in some cases but I have just had my old desktop computer reworked and don't have all the image files from it on my new shop computer--I will dig around over the weekend and see what I can find. In most of my "tall guy" cars the seat base sits on the lower rails where they bend to sweep up to the shoulder hoop but occasionally I raise the seat base up and in that case I use the flat strap for additional support.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 10:27:09 AM »
I should have some photos of the Murf strap that I use in some cases but I have just had my old desktop computer reworked and don't have all the image files from it on my new shop computer--I will dig around over the weekend and see what I can find. In most of my "tall guy" cars the seat base sits on the lower rails where they bend to sweep up to the shoulder hoop but occasionally I raise the seat base up and in that case I use the flat strap for additional support.

Roo
You made it home?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline rooman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 11:23:29 AM »
Yep, 5:30 am. Good Luck today