Author Topic: fed bodys  (Read 9615 times)

Offline north ferry choppers

• View Profile
  • Your Track: national trail raceway
  • Your Vehicle: top fuel kz 1000 ( vintage)
fed bodys
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »
im getting my first fed roller ... have been gathering parts to build my dream car for years ...found a 165" wb roller for 2000.00.... already have a hemi and tranny ...does anyone know where to get body panels for feds ...or is everything hand made usaully

dreracecar

Re: fed bodys
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:45:10 PM »
Your local aluminum supply house--- some assembly may be required.
If by asking that question I would sugest that you put up some pictures of the car you just bought so some of the knowlegeable people on this board can assess what you have and offer direction. A whole lotta crap being passed around to the next person because the first person had problems with it.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 05:54:59 PM »
If doing shorty body its pretty simple and most ayone can do it. If going full body or chute body you might need to contact a good fabricator. If doing it your self cardboard and poster board are your cheap friend. 20 pieces of either about 10 bucks one sheet aluminum $70 and up. Make patterns and fit and trim then layover to aluminum and you will save a bunch.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 06:18:38 PM »
I have no pics from my build, but I decided that I could do it on my own.

Had some .050 mill finish aluminum and did some research on how the old guys did it.  Some of the old masters had nothing more than a few mallets and a telephone pole and an oxygen/acetylene tank to bend it over and a torch to anneal it.  I picked up a baseball bat, cut it int 3 pieces and some 1" dowel for handles and made my own mallets. I bought a leather purse at the second hand store and filled it up with sand.  I splurged on a sonotube (heavy cardboard tube used to pour concrete piers) that I used to bend the material and form the radius I wanted for the cowl sides. Some tape, markers, and poster board. You will also need the tool to make dzus divots.
I have no talent and was unemployed at the time so I had more time than money.  In my opinion the older style bodies that had more complex gentile curves are not only better looking, but easier to make than the new "drain pipe" style that are built with a break.  One side panel needed a blister to clear the starter so I took a piece of 2x6 and routed out the negative shape I wanted and hammered the aluminum into it to create the blister.  I never painted this car, instead I hit it with a scotchbrite pad and some WD-40. It has a short windscreen that was made with the same materials and finished with a kratex in a drill press.

You can do this, and if you can't you might only be out $125 for a 4x8 sheet of aluminum.  Might go with .040 instead if you are worried about the weight.

Be sure and take some pictures please.
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »
I built my first one --I am sure my next one will be better but ...
I have zero experience doing any body work but just went at it and heres how it turned out.
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 05:23:30 AM »
think ahead about access.  I had an altered, that needed the body off and side panels to be removed in order to change the oil filter.   Also think about how you fix the bodywork together and where you put your dzus fittings, ie you need to get to all fitting with the car fully assembled so don't put one behind a tire or pitman arm or steering link etc.

Offline JeffV8

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Quaker city
  • Your Vehicle: 164" Woody Gilmore Flexie
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 07:15:41 AM »
Why so many fasteners ?? This is a pic of my 66/67 Woody with  Hanna body.. Only 2 on each side. 

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 03:45:35 PM »

My first body. Can do better on next one since doing this and may be redoing this one before I am happy with it. Its a learning curve I guess.Like anything the more you do the better you get and more tricks you learn.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »
You can be proud, you did it wish I could say the same, I was in to big a hurry to get to the track. It is a trade off. I am happy that I have been able to spend time at the track and not building, I might still be building if I had attempted it.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 06:32:29 AM »
Not really time thing here its cash flow thing. Its not flowing in fast enough so had time to work between trickles of cash for parts.   Getting closer and more impatient. I WANT TO PLAY DANG IT. Have to see the downward face pouting and kicking foot across floor to get full effect of that.LOL

Offline sc118c

• View Profile
    • Jersey Junior Fuel
  • Your Track: ATCO Raceway, NJ
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 SW - 225" FED
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 05:37:07 PM »
dusterdave173...I like that body. Great job. It looks very good.