Author Topic: Flexplate shield - need blanket style  (Read 5411 times)

Offline Eaallred

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Rocky Mountain Raceways
  • Your Vehicle: VW powered FED
Flexplate shield - need blanket style
« on: April 12, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
Hey all,

I'm working on chassis cert and tech inspection on my FED that I bought last fall. I need a new flexplate shield because my current one is so old there is no date on it, and it has been modified to clear the top mounted starter on my powerglide.

So buying another new one and modifying it is out, as that will void the SFI rating. The local tech inspector said a blanket style will work as long as it's SFI rated. That should work just fine wrapping around the starter.

Anyone else run into this issue? Who makes a blanket style flexplate shield that can work (universally?)?

Any help appreciated!

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
Re: Flexplate shield - need blanket style
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 10:21:05 AM »
I don't think anyone makes a blanket to go around your flexplate ! If you buy one new and modify it and don't destroy the sticker it will be good for 5 years.

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:56:56 AM »
No one will make a flexable flywheel sheild because it has to be sent out for testing to create a spec for it and that gets really expensive.
Options
1--- consult with tech about gen reg 2.10 as reguards to VW/Porsche engines, its a longshot but worth a try
2--- use a mini starter bolted to the motor plate on the engine side either by notching the engine case or locating the starter under the head/push rod tubes.

I did the under the head on a rear engine VW dragster/powerglide by using a mini with the Ford adapter

Pictures of the issue would help

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 07:08:16 AM »
Was main reason or (partly) to select VW engine due weight (?) I'm guessing the fed and red was close to 800 lbs.  They must be in top ten lightest dragsters of all time.

Offline Eaallred

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Rocky Mountain Raceways
  • Your Vehicle: VW powered FED
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 08:35:49 PM »
I'll have to get it on the scales, but I believe is between 800 to 850 lbs without driver.

I have found Deist makes an SFI wrap. Local track says it will work (as long as it will fit). They said if I modify a steel one at all the SFI tag is void.

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 08:33:48 AM »
Deist is no longer in business, The company was absorbed by DJ Saftey (Family) and theyonly offer a trans blanket that covers the gear/clutch section of the trans(SFI 4.1) and not the ring gear/flexplate area(SFI30.1)
Deist will still be around as the nostalgia/vintage arm of the DJ company providing unique products to the vintage/restoration crowd that wishes the DEIST patch instead of DJ