Author Topic: stack injection question  (Read 4767 times)

Offline L79_Acadian

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Just a little 355 Chevy
  • Your Track: none
  • Your Vehicle: 2013,160" CenPen Speed Shop (Worm)
stack injection question
« on: March 31, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »
Hi, I have a small block Chevy that I have a Hilborn stack system to run on it. The nozzles are #7a and the barrel valve is a number 54. What number of nozzles and barrel valve would I need to run this on Methanol? The pumps 150-A Hilborn.
  Thanks,
             Roger

Offline H.G. Wells

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: Mild 383 SBC or 498 blown BBC
  • Your Track: Currently San Antonio, past Amarillo, Ardmore OK, Noble OK
  • Your Vehicle: late 60's FED of unknown origin
Re: stack injection question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 07:19:42 AM »
I had hoped someone smarter than me would jump in and offer advice. But since they did not, here is some free advice learned from experience.

Send your system to Spud and have it flowed and have him set it up for you.  Too many variables like, is the pump fresh? is everything else tight and new? What spool in the BV?

I used some common formulas on my first stack and it would run, but was not optimized. Had a well known JR fuel guy flow it and made some recommendations.
It was like night and day.  So much better and more responsive. When I built my first blower motor with a hat I did not even try.  I just filled out all the info Spud needed and he sent me a set up that was spot on. Now I can also change my tune up for altitude and weather based on his readings.
Racecar spelled backwards is racecaR

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 08:43:45 AM »
Spud has a calculator on his site as well and I would certainly give him a ring.  Excellent guy to talk with and has solid information and not laced with arrogant opinion.
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 09:27:12 AM »

Thanks for the recommendations guys, they are appreciated!

The size of the nozzles would depend on how many cubic inches the motor is, how much fuel it'll burn (cam/heads/compression ratio, etc.), and the top end RPM you anticipate. To keep your system pressure high (but sane) at the top end, the nozzles will need to be sized correctly while delivering the fuel you need. Your current nozzles are sized for gasoline. Your system will likely need all new o-rings to go from gas to methanol.

The pump you mention is just a model number. That model came in 5 sizes. Find the serial number stamped on it and the first digit (before the dash) is the size: 00, 0, S0, 1/2 or 1.

The tuneup calculator is a great way to run through different scenarios to select nozzles. Here's the link to sign up (it's free):
http://fuelinjectionent.com/register.htm

Once you are "Accepted" (you'll get an email) then the login links for the calculators are at the bottom of this page:
http://fuelinjectionent.com/tune.htm

To use the calculators, you'll need a bunch of info about your hardware. If you don't have that, having your pump flow tested, etc. would be a great way to get started. You could also purchase a "Precision Calculated Tuneup" ($200) from me or we could flow test your components and entire system together if you like. Lots of options ranging from free (calculator) to $600 or so (full flow work) and several points in between.

Let me know if I can help!

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions