Author Topic: oil returns,valley tray and other small hp increases  (Read 8887 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
oil returns,valley tray and other small hp increases
« on: February 16, 2014, 10:06:00 AM »
After reading few things on oil control , I did some real close checking on my TFX hemi stuff. Returns from heads suck. Small 5/16 holes and rear left does not even return. I am adding some returns from block just below deck where heads drain to and going into pan below the windage tray. Going to run aluminum line since no pressure and has to aid in cooling some.

Also added a piece of aluminum in lifter valley to help keep oil off bottom of intake and Hopefully keep it cooler. Also had oil drianing to ends so as to keep oil   draining back on top of rotating assembly reduced.

As posted on another thread I.m also looking into adding a oil accumalator to system.

HAve already added gas ports to the pistons in hopes of picking up few extra ponies.
 Figure its worth cpl horse's maybe not enough to notice by them selves but they add up.

Wondering what other tricks some here have done or tried and what results where. Also any thoughts on above ideas are always welcomed.Might read and ignore, but  like to give any idea a look.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

dreracecar

Re: oil returns,valley tray and other small hp increases
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 10:33:04 AM »
To many variables at the track, being consistant .00X on the tree is like free HP that doesnt add to the weight of the car.

I dont know if you quite understand what an acc-u-sump is or does, reducing the volume of oil in the pan raise's oil temp because less oil to remove heat out of the engine. When oil pressure falls below XX lbs the oil within the accusump fills that void by releasing its contents into the system until pressure is restored and then the accusump re-fill's itself. If you are having pressure issues when the chutes come out and is showing up in the bearings- then thats when you consider this option.

Adding a baffle underneath the manifold does nothing in our 7 second drag world. Alc will maintain a 64* temp charge when injected into the ports

Do you think by adding gas ports to the pistons of a blown engine that the added cyl pressure will increase the ring pressure against the cyl walls and do 2 things to lesson HP? one is the extra drag slowing down the piston speed and two being acclerated wear of the rings and cyl walls.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:19:15 AM by dreracecar »

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 11:23:05 AM »
To many variables at the track, being consistant .00X on the tree is like free HP that doesnt add to the weight of the car.

I dont know if you quite understand what an acc-u-sump is or does, reducing the volume of oil in the pan raise's oil temp because less oil to remove heat out of the engine. When oil pressure falls below XX lbs the oil within the accusump fills that void by releasing its contents into the system until pressure is restored and then the accusump re-fill's itself. If you are having pressure issues when the chutes come out and is showing up in the bearings- then thats when you consider this option.

Adding a baffle underneath the manifold does nothing in our 7 second drag world. Alc will maintain a 64* temp charge when injected into the ports
        I use the accusump for that same reason but I think I may have solved the problem with a different oil pickup and a trap door in the pan . Bill

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
I totaly understand how the accumalator works and why. I also understand that with the NA mtor I am running using Blown engine parts thru out I have access in few areas. 110 to 120 lbs OP at idle and having 10 quarts in ,thers no way I am going to pull near the oil as quick,lower rpm lower rpm accelerating rate and not to mention 4500 versus 7000 stage rpm. I don't see the pickup becoming uncovered except maybe on had deceleration like dropping at the finish line hard. In this case it would be good insurance. Having less oil in the pan which would be furthure down from windage tray and just below tray has to help with less chance of oil to pulled up into hurricane going on above.

I don't expect to pickup 50 horses or nothing like that. I have talked with a lot of guys who have picked up .10 from running less oil.Yea I had hard time believing first cpl,but after more tell you same thing. Yes Im sure some of them had too much oil and it was too high of level for the pan they had. I love going faster but not at cost of needless risk to engine.

As for weight you might be right about trade off. IMO if it equals out and helps prolong parts life I am fine with that. This is bracket deal and consistent is f utomost importance. If hitting a race where minimum weight is big deal I will just remove this along with full Chute body and go to the short body.

Baffle may or may not matter.I do not see how it can hurt. Plus super easy to remove or add.

R-M seems to have different view about gas ports. Agree if was blower motor no need.This is injected only and not even nitro, just , plain old alcohol.
 Reading R-M site and seems they built a motor w/o Gas ports at customers request.It was down 50 hp. Pulled it did gas ports NOTHING else. Put it back on dyno and it was up the 50 and where they expected it to be. Not knocking anyone but hard to argue with Reher-Morrison on what they found and are willing to backup
 I am setting this deal up to be as versitle as possible and be easily adapted to as many class' as I can. Not to worried about making a Jr. Fuel settup the engine cost is out of my range now days for that one.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:31:30 AM by wideopen231 »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 11:36:05 AM »
After reading few things on oil control , I did some real close checking on my TFX hemi stuff. Returns from heads suck. Small 5/16 holes and rear left does not even return. I am adding some returns from block just below deck where heads drain to and going into pan below the windage tray. Going to run aluminum line since no pressure and has to aid in cooling some.

Also added a piece of aluminum in lifter valley to help keep oil off bottom of intake and Hopefully keep it cooler. Also had oil drianing to ends so as to keep oil   draining back on top of rotating assembly reduced.

As posted on another thread I.m also looking into adding a oil accumalator to system.     

HAve already added gas ports to the pistons in hopes of picking up few extra ponies.
 Figure its worth cpl horse's maybe not enough to notice by them selves but they add up.

Wondering what other tricks some here have done or tried and what results where. Also any thoughts on above ideas are always welcomed.Might read and ignore, but  like to give any idea a look.
    Chris a vac pump will help a lot . We are in the proccess of enclosing the cam tunnel on one of my friends Comp motors . We think this will be worth about 8 to 10 horsepower . The dyno will tell the story!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 11:45:37 AM by masracingtd1167 »

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 11:53:49 AM »
Some things to consider

Yes, R-M showed a 50hp swing true but they went from no GP and a standard top ring to ports and a super lite tension top ring that offers reduced drag on the upswing exhaust stroke, and they were running gas and not alc.. gas burns as a vapor and burns complete, and alc as a liquid, and as such there is no complete burn of the alc within the combustion cycle and one is trying to push liquid into and through the gas ports.

With running 10qts in a 10qt system figure about 2.5/3 qts all around the inside of the motor and 7qts below the baffle. Remove 3qts and you still have 2.5/3qts flying around and 4qts below the baffle.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 01:18:44 PM »
Bill,

Im not 100% on the vac pumps.We put one on lil brothers dragster because everyone kept telling us how much we would pickup. Nothing not a .01 differance.His car is perfect bracket car it will not go faster I dp not care what you do to it.
 When I questioned a few folks about it .I was told well if you had tight ring package with very little to no blow by it had less effect. I can only assume those who found et gain had very low drag rings where as we had total seal gapless.We did have more drag,but then we apparently did not need vaccum pump to pull the crankcase pressure out of engine.

I figure your buddy has low drag rings also. If so vaccum pump will probably add few horses.With comp cars everything helps and they do not pass up anything that might make a hp. Would love to run,also love to be rich enough to run that class.

BAck to gas ports. WHile I do not own dyno. I do have 5 sets of pistons for this deal. I plan to gas port one and chenge them and see if any differance.No not back to back test. I should be able to get pretty close on conditions and see what change it makes. I appreciate the points made and they are good arguements. Still would like to try. Worst case I have 4 sets of pistons  for the two motors I have sitting here. If nothing else I am experimental Son of Gun(gottcha Glen you thought something else coming).This is why we had computer on TA/FC when most thought useless,had lean richening valves in 1990 when a lot thought just stupid for alcohol car. What are they all running now. Also reason I have shelf full of odd cams for hemi's. Have some with huge exhaust because it seemed a blower motor would need more exhausted to get  more incoming air into cylinder. IMO experimenting is big part of drag racing and part I love.

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 02:08:01 PM »
Chris something to think about is the ring itself . If you are using a 1/16 ring you may not see much with the gas ports . An .043 ring package first and second ring with a low tension oil ring about 11 lbs with a vac pump will pick up hp. If you plan on spraying it use a good tool steel ring like a total seal or xxxx fire for your top ring . I use the Total Seal gapless for my top ring but I don't see any real advantage to them just better leakage numbers.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 05:36:08 PM »
 Most of these use .043 dyke top ring. I do have two sets that are .043 top . Have always used total seal and have not seen w reason to change. I will be giving them a call for cpl sets of there new tool steel rings.  It will have nitrous eventually. Going to get good handle on tune up first. Working out FI should be no issue deal.Woking out chassis hopefully be pretty quick.If not I'm going to kick the builders butt.
Actually have dual Nitrous setups one a little like your deal and one fogger system. Plans are  to mainly use the inner rail system and when go stupid fast and see how much we can destroy bug hits I can hit both,but will need whole different tuneup and converter before getting that itch gets scratched.

Theres always the big whipple sitting there calling out to me.Nothing like 140# on top and 45 lbs boost to make things get crazy.Don't think I have lost it that much yet. Now a realy good 6-71 spinning 35 or 40% thats another story.

Dang I should have been born rich. If those lottery idiots would pull the right numbers?

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 06:21:25 PM »
.... IMO experimenting is big part of drag racing and part I love.

X2!