Author Topic: oil heater  (Read 5635 times)

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
oil heater
« on: February 13, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
what are the thoughts on an Oil heater on a wet sump system?  Or does a simple drive around the pits or on stands cover this?  only running a straight up alchol stack injection on a small chevy.

I was looking at a pad or better yet the immersion type.  I have also heard of a magnet style but can't locate.
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.45 @ 182 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: NA Injected 505 BBC on 45%
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Washington Coast
Re: oil heater
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:33:46 AM »
I use an immersion heater , works ok but is slow. Spud has a killer system he made, works very well for him.
Mark S

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 11:29:23 AM »
I ran an immersion heater in the oil pan. It's 450 watts 120vac. I also put block heaters in each side of the engine block and ran about 2 gallons of water. I would pre-warm the engine before starting. Helped a great deal with oil milking. I also built a thermocouple that was installed in the oil pan drain plug hole to monitor oil temps.

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 12:12:46 PM »
Since I run a bag on my pan, the oil is not exposed to the elements, sort of like wearing a jacket. The biggest thing I see people NOT doing is trimming back on the fuel shut-off when warming it up. Fire it up and get all 8 pipes running and slowly shut the lever till the RPM starts to come up and stop right there. Heat will build quickly without going thru a bunch of fuel and blubbering.Before you shut it off, go back to full rich, wack the throttle to be sure it comes up clean and goes back to idle, then shut the fuel off.

Offline 32bantam

• View Profile
    • SS3 Race Team
  • Your Best Time: 6.87 at BG 2013 aiming for 7.0
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: 32 Bantam altered
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 04:40:41 AM »
I tried the "stick-on" heaters and they worked great until I put the diaper on........the oil soaker pads started to char from the heat!
I'm now using a Stephs oil pan immersion heater....that works well. If you wanted it to heat up faster you could install 2.
Steve
Steve Walczak

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 06:51:52 AM »
I also use the pad heater on mine and it works very well . When I am warming mine up in the morning I pull the fuel shut off part way to build some heat in the motor . I drive my car to the lanes to build more heat and it seems to work well for me . Alcohol motors love heat I try to stage at 170 degrees and cross at around 180 .

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 10:07:16 AM »
Going to have one in new pan I am working on. Figure easy to make allowance for it now.When its warm out I will just pull it and cap off.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 07:17:46 AM »
thanks for all the input.  I have to pull my pan to repair a small leak, so I think I will add a bung while I am there.  I already have a sticky pad so I will start with that initially.
if you need to Hate target Laziness