Author Topic: Injection tubes  (Read 10731 times)

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
Injection tubes
« on: February 05, 2014, 11:31:04 AM »
quick question my hilborn injection tubes (stacks) are steel and I am thinking of having them chromed.  Thought is the chrome doesn't build like powder coat and should hold up well.  is there any concerns with the glare or something I am missing?  thank you.
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: Injection tubes
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »

Well, I've had chromed and powder coated tubes. The chrome lasted pretty well...glare wasn't a problem. Eventually though, rust bubbled up underneath. With the hot/cold situation and condensation that frequently formed on them, I'm not surprised. To be fair, the chrome job was pretty old so it was a good deal. I painted the insides of the tubes flat white using epoxy paint. Looked great.

Mine are currently powder coated and it does well. It's very resistant to chemicals and rust and holds up pretty well to abrasion. The only problem with it is it builds up very thick and that's a problem if you use the pinch clamp style deal. I do and it was.

I built a quickie expanding mandrel out of a big round chunk of plastic. The tube fits on it and is held centered while the lathe spins one end and a center in the other keeps it true. I was hoping to peel the coating off just where the clamp area is. Didn't work. I ended up using a dremel with a cut-off wheel while the lathe spun it to establish a nice clean line where the edge of the coating needed to be. Then I used some coarse sandpaper to quickly remove the bottom couple of inches of coating below the line.

I think if I had told the powder coater I wanted them masked, they probably could have done it. Not sure if the edge would look as good, but ask them if you go that route.

It's hard to beat chrome for a fancy look. Powder coating gives you all sorts of options for color. Let us know what you decide and post pictures!

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:34:14 PM »
I do powder coat as a way to fund the toys. The edges can be masked and you get a nice sharp line. Powder is as durable as what Spud has indicated. Color choices are endless, I get mine from Prismatic Colors http://www.prismaticpowders.com/powder-coating-colors/ they only have 6500 colors
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:08:04 PM »
I had a set of stacks powder coated to match the car. It isn't a perfect match but I think it adds to the cars looks. I had to sand two of the stacks for a good fit , the other six fit fine.

You can see a picture of the car with the colored stacks at http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php?topic=539.0

George

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 08:23:28 PM by GlennLever »

Offline ss4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 07:24:38 AM »
I agree the colors look nice.  I will keep you posted.  So Glenn are you saying you powder coat on the side?

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 08:15:07 AM »
I agree the colors look nice.  I will keep you posted.  So Glenn are you saying you powder coat on the side?

Correct.

Oven

Sand Blaster

The heart of the operation, gun control device and powder
Glenn R. Lever

Offline ss4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 08:18:07 AM »
wow nice setup.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 01:37:01 PM »
I brought this back here as I thought people might be interested.

I have a really nice red called lollypop red that is the same tone as the red anodize that comes on AN fittings but very glossy, you want to lick it. I did some valve covers in it and I think I can get pictures of them (customer already picked them up). I have a color that looks like bare aluminum also glossy and several blacks.

I purchase from NIC industries who has 6500 colors Their samle of lollypop red does not do it justice

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/powder-coating-colors/
Glenn R. Lever

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 05:49:25 AM »
Guess I'm old fashioned, I just use Flitz on the stacks.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
Thanks for the good thread and info her guys.  I have something that might be of use to othere who have posted here.

is there any formula or good reads on Tube Size for Engine Displacement/RPMs.  And is there any good reads on how to make them yourself?  I am running stackless on my racebike and was given differing opinions on what lenght tubes I need. Any clarity to be shed would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Offline Cajuninjector

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50@176
  • Your Engine: SBC 406 Alky Stacked Hilborn
  • Your Track: SWJFA
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED-Wizard Race Cars
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 10:01:19 AM »
We run 2-3/4 diameter hilborn and used the stock length tubes for a little while but ended up cutting them till they are only sticking up about 2"
We never saw any kind of gain or loss playing with stack length but our combo is probably a little different than most. 
This statement is straight from hilborns website:
Since horsepower gains of 5% to 10% are average for a system with ram tubes we strongly recommend using them on all models. The longer the ram tube length, the more low-end torque. The shorter the length, the more top-end torque
Go Hard or Go Home

Offline hotrod316

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 10:26:09 PM »
awesome, thanks for the info from hilborns site. i would say that your engine prolly wouldnt know any real difference in the velocity stack lenth unless you went to a really long one, the manifold itself has to act as part of the ramtube, and i bet that you are limited to what that motor wants with that manifold length tube on it, a small length change on the velocity stack the engine prolly didnt even notice IMO.

I found the stock intake box boots were actually velocity stacks on a set of carbs i had, so i can going to use them on my racebike carbs and see if i can pick up any mph.  I will try making a set eventually and will do a study on whether length matters at high rpm fast mph.