Author Topic: Fire suit requirements?  (Read 8945 times)

Offline Eaallred

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Rocky Mountain Raceways
  • Your Vehicle: VW powered FED
Fire suit requirements?
« on: January 16, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
Hi everyone,

New here, working on my first FED. It's an old slingshot built in the late 60's/early 70's, driven by Bill Edwards. At the time I was told it ran a 392 fuel motor. From what i'm told anyway. Pretty cool old car, can't wait to get it going again.

But now it has an aircooled VW engine in it. Not sure how many years it's had this setup, but it's been a while.  I'm an air-cooled VW guy, so it's right up my alley. I have a street legal low 10-second VW bug, so this should be a lot of fun for me.

As I'm still putting this car together (sold to me as a roller) I am wondering what I need for a fire suit. As of now for the street VW I have SFI 3.2A/5 pants and jacket, and SFI 3.3/5 gloves and shoes. I have a neck collar, but will probably pick up something like a HANS device before I make any real hits in this thing.

Just running gasoline, no methanol, and it's still naturally aspirated. No turbo, blower, or nitrous. It should run high 8's at sea level

Is my current gear good for this second car, or do I need to get a second set of gear for this car? I've looked online till blue in the face, but can't find the info.

I'm getting it ready for a chassis cert and am going to start process of licensing shortly after that. I just don't want to waste anyone's time at the track if I show up with safety gear that is not acceptable for use in a FED.

Any advice appreciated, here's a pic of the car before any fuel system, electrical, or other work got done on it:

dreracecar

Re: Fire suit requirements?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:18:53 AM »
The NHRA book states

That any car that has an automatic trans inside the chassie(with the driver) without a complete floor covering over the trans, the driver must wear a 3.2a/15 suit (pants /jacket). If there is a sealed firewall panel between you and transmission, then you can wear driving shoes , if not and the trans is exposed then you must wear fire boots.

A fire suit is the last thing anybody should be cheap on.(just a statement) I alway reccomend customers buy the next grade higher then class minimum. The numbers /5, /10, /15, /20 mean the amount of time in seconds before serious damage to the skin occurs in a fire if the person was just wearing that item

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 01:47:53 PM »
Your -5 stuff should meet the minimum. IHRA does not require the trans to be covered. One thing to watch I had one inspector require the helmet to have an SA rating because the engine was up front. Nothing says you cant wear more than the minimum. Just running gasoline doesn't mean its safer. A lot of people believe alcohol is safer than gas. I'm one of them.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 02:07:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum Eaallred.

When you have a chance, please write a thread about your cars, they look nice!

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 03:22:22 PM »
When applying safety standards take a step away from the car and imagine someone else in the car. Say, like a friend or family. Is a minimum good enough? Be ready for the worst and hope it never happens.

Offline BCCOWANWEELS

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.60 IN 1/4 MILE
  • Your Engine: BBC
  • Your Track: BRISTOL "THUNDER VALLEY"
  • Your Vehicle: REPRO LOGGHE BROS F.E.D. DRAGSTERS
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 09:48:00 PM »
GREAT ADVISE HERE
"When applying safety standards take a step away from the car and imagine someone else in the car. Say, like a friend or family. Is a minimum good enough? Be ready for the worst and hope it never happens."
I BELIEVE IN JOHN 3:16

Offline Eaallred

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Rocky Mountain Raceways
  • Your Vehicle: VW powered FED
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 08:36:48 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll get some more pics and info on the cars posted this weekend.

I had the black car catch fire and burn to the ground at the track on Labor Day 2012. So fire safety is in the back of my mind these days. With the engine and fuel system ahead of me I do see the added danger. Stuff happens sometimes and it is best to be prepared.

Do you guys run a head sock, nomex long johns, etc?  What would you guys do for a nine second FED?

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 09:12:25 AM »
Head socks are cheaper than Helmets. Sweat-dirt-grease destroy the lining an foam padding over time so the sock is a nomex liner. "Nomex is not fire proof" and it does burn up however it does not support combustion, take away the source of fire and it will stop burning.

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »
I used to be involved in health and safety where I worked. I still practice it and always read up on everything from towing to racing. never enough safety. with that thought and my son drives the rail and I've told him whenever he does not feel safe in the car, it will be sold. he's worth a lot more than the car.

always, safety first.