Author Topic: Difference in Mallory Mags  (Read 10644 times)

Offline captndiet

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Rogersville Missouri
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Difference in Mallory Mags
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:21:35 PM »
Spud

What is the difference between the 8 amp and 10 amp mags?

Which would you suggest for a 350 inch engine on 80-90% , Crowerglide, 31% Lenco 2 speed, rear gear to be decided...

Jeff

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: Difference in Mallory Mags
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 08:57:25 PM »

Hi Jeff,

Since Mallory is no longer involved (over 2 years now) we prefer to call them: Super-Mag or Sprintmag ;D  I know, old habits die hard...I can't expect the earth to rotate the other direction at my whim in just 2 years. But I try anyway 'cause I'm stubborn.

The Super-Mag+ has a different stator winding inside...different gauge and number of turns so that our biggest magnet makes 9.9 - 10.3 amps at 2500 engine RPM. The 10 amp mag also requires the severe-duty points. And those require a bunch of other related hardware to make them fit.  The 5 amp SM IV, 8 amp SM V and 10 amp SM+ all have the same magnet assembly...just the winding inside changes. So, find a healthy SM IV and get an upgrade to the V (winding swap) or the more expensive SM+  (winding and points upgrade). The biggest diff regardless of which one you run is to run the BIG coil.

Through experimentation on my car and through customer experiences, I've found with nitro, you just can't have enough spark at idle. The fuel it's burning at an idle makes a significant difference in how it leaves the starting line. After the throttle is wide open, I can't honestly say I can see a difference, but I've been changing main fuel delivery along the way too. I was putting 6 GPM to it, then 8 and now I'm over 11 GPM. Not sure it would still burn all that with the Super-Mag IV. I doubt it.

I ran a 5 amp Super-Mag IV and red topped coil for years and it did fine...no trouble. I put an 8 amp SM V on it with the small black coil and had to richen the idle. What really opened my eyes was just swapping the small black topped 28990 coil for a big 28901 monster coil. It totally dried things up to the point where I couldn't get it rich  enough to wet the pipes and it would fall on it's nose. I upped the idle fuel pressure and idle nozzle sizes and could finally get it wet enough. Just from a coil change!

While experimenting with Super-Mag+ windings, we took one a little too far...it makes 11.6 amps at an idle. None of us figured it would live long with points in it...even the really good ones, but running it on my car was a great way to see what it would do without pissing anyone off. With spare mag at the ready, I've got 15 laps on it and the points look like new. Had to richen it up even more and it's a different beast off the line now for sure. It consumes a BUNCH of fuel at idle and pretty much demanded a hi/lo type idle circuit.

Next experiment is to swap out the 28901 coil for the 28920...it's the same size and shape but a different turns ratio. It makes huge voltage and spark duration...so much spark duration that there's almost no OFF time. The cutaway cap is a solid ring of fire above 8000 RPM. I won't sell one to a blower guy spinning high RPM because I'm afraid it would be a bomb. But a naturally aspirated motor and/or one that doesn't spin that high and it may be a great thing. Mine never sees more than 7200, so I'm going to make sure my rotor tang is firmly attached and give one a try this year!

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline captndiet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 01:07:58 PM »
Thanks Spud!

I will dig through my stuff and see if I have a core to send you.

On a related note my newest project is a Dodge R5 Nascar engine with the P7 heads.

I need to make a Mag base for it.

If I send you the dimensions of the base where it fits in the engine, can you or one of your guys find me a new base that I can turn down to the R5 dimensions?

Thanks again for your input.

Jeff

P.S. The little Cackle car is progressing.....slowly.

Offline P607

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 04:56:10 PM »
I ran a stack injected p7...) fwiw I bought a hemi mag base, machined it to fit the p7, changed the bronze gear and installed an MSD pro mag 12. There is not a mag base offered for the p7. 358" in a 1400lb digger equaled a best of 7.41@180. Sold the engine two months ago to a bracket racer. Super consistent engine, best of luck to you.

Offline captndiet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 05:07:37 PM »
Good to know on the mag base. Figured I would modify one for the job.

What valve springs did you end up running on it?

Jeff

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
On a related note my newest project is a Dodge R5 Nascar engine with the P7 heads.

I need to make a Mag base for it.

If I send you the dimensions of the base where it fits in the engine, can you or one of your guys find me a new base that I can turn down to the R5 dimensions?

No problem. I bet we have something very close already that we could start from...we have half a dozen different hemi bases on the shelf and dozens of other odd things that we whittle into one-offs for folks. The best thing would be to send an old distributor that we can measure directly from. If not that, then a drawing with some good measurements on it would probably get us there.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline captndiet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »
Spud

I will do up a drawing in the next couple weeks.

For some reason I did not latch on to a distributor when I got the rest of the parts and now find the NASCAR distributor to be rather expensive to buy just for a pattern.

I have a loaner coming but not sure when it will get here (beggars can't be choosers) and will get you the dimensions then.

Jeff

Offline P607

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 05:40:30 PM »
PAC 1350 if memory serves me correctly .... Shifted @9800, averaged 10-10200 through the traps. If you are going to run alcohol, the mag is a must at that RPM. An elect MSD 7AL-3 was not efficient above 9000. I started with an RCD hemi mag base and machined from there. Spud just converted my MSD to a 20 and is currently flowing my fuel system for a blown hemi. If I had consulted him in the infancy of my p7 adventure it would have advanced me probably a season of hard knocks lol. Its a forgiving, consistent engine combo.

Jeff S.

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 03:56:07 AM »
Jeff,  What did you guys do with the big inch injected hemi?  That looked to be a fun project to be able to run fast yet not running th eguts out of the motor.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club

Offline P607

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 06:23:59 AM »
Larry, the 607in hemi went on a diet ha. I sold the Tuttle car to a gentleman on the West coast and purchased a Fiat Spitzer altered. I retained the KB block and BAE fuel heads but the rest has been changed to a 4.25 stroke, 4.310 bore combo..500in give or take. Its 1471 blown and we will run it in 7.0. The car has been a ground up resto with lots of speed bumps along the way. Should be at Gateway for the NDRL opener (fingers crossed). What have you been up to and will we see your altered burnin up the lanes this year?

Jeff S.

Offline slingshot383

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mi. 7.95 @ 168
  • Your Engine: Chrysler, alcohol, 528 cu.in.
  • Your Track: Gateway Motorsports Park (the Swamp)
  • Your Vehicle: Undercover Chassis 23T altered
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 05:00:33 AM »
Fingers are crossed that I'll be out this year, also with a blower on top of the wedge in my altered.  Tore rotator cuff last year, and that killed things for me.
Undercover 23T Altered, big block Mopar
Member of the Torque and Recoil Club