Author Topic: Cockpit. Bracing  (Read 7132 times)

Offline grapro

• View Profile
  • Your Track: edmonton
  • Your Vehicle: 184" FED
Cockpit. Bracing
« on: December 31, 2013, 11:37:57 AM »
Been working away on my fed kit and have a couple of questions for the wise. On my kitchen idney bars the kit came with a single vertical brace and I was checking with the. Nhra. Regs and they say you can use a k style brace of 3/4" tube also. I have a couple of pics of what I want to do. Also I wonder if it is worth putting the other  vertical brace in above th rearend. I know these are simple questions but I would like to beef up the drivers compartment and already have the tubing. Just wondering if it would be worthwhile to do both.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:40:00 AM by grapro »

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
Re: Cockpit. Bracing
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »
Unless I were an expert--and I am not. I would have a current SFI spec book on hand doing a build like this. I have looked at some kit plans and rule books and the SFI is what I used.

dreracecar

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »
To what spec are you building towards?? My car spec't out this year as a 2.4 legal to 6 flat and doesnt have the "K" or really need it there, But I do run the dia in the rear end bay and that bar can be removable for access to get the RE out. What you need to look at now is the seat bottom size. When I get a car in here that needs the Kidney bars and is of the 2 rail WOODY type I have had to bend the bottom of the 1 1/4 tube at the bottom to clear the seat pan. With how you have it now the chassie must be really wide or you are real skinny.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 07:29:43 AM »
Here is a picture of mine 6.0 cert no k bars . I hope this helps. Bill

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »
even 2.2c does not have K bars except for infront of rearend uprights.It does require a diaganol in rearend bay but it can be removable. I dont think the k bars are required till 2.2c spec.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 03:12:44 PM »
I can't see any harm in adding them but as Bruce noted what you have is legal down to 6.0. Anything quicker requires the kidney bars and the rear center upright up to the kidney bar on the Woody style chassis (lower rails transitioning to uprights) like you have.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline Keven

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.11 @ 189.39 mph 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: 552 c.i. Ford injected nitro / blown alcohol
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 200" FED
  • General Location: So Cal
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 07:31:15 AM »
We updated our chassis during the build, it is certified to 5.0. The K brace infront of the rearend and a removable brace next to the rearend.