Author Topic: Kunundrum with my FED  (Read 7055 times)

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Kunundrum with my FED
« on: August 17, 2013, 09:39:15 AM »
I have been working on my tunnel ram project for my Slant six FED. Now I can see I can easily finish it in a week or so. I have been using the old motor in the gasser as a glorified engine stand since I know anything that will fit in side the gasser rails will fit the fed since it is 4 inches wider inside. Now I wonder if I shouldn't just jerk the four barrel and its headers off the FED and bolt this up and finish it and tune it. HOWEVER and there always is one. The FED is currently running absolutely perfect. The tunnel ram is an unknown although my stuff usually works. I was caught on camera at the last event which I did well at considering my 246 cubic inch motor. On looking over the camera shot I realized I had the brakes on (lever and guard are clearly visable in the shot and the brake lever is approx half way up the guard which is about if not full application. Of course the engine is not bothered excessively by the brakes having more then enuf snot to overcome them but since the photographer told me the picture was taken at half track I am somewhat curious to know what the car will run like if I drive two handed on the steering wheel eliminating my bad habit of holding onto the brake handle which I have had since I first drove it. I am trying to decide what to do.  Sometimes these things don't make as big a difference as we hope but it is hard to think having the brakes almost full on even at half track wouldn't make a difference. Brakes are BTW 11 inch 1972 Chrysler drums with police taxi linings.
So try it one more time SEPT 28 at Picton as is but with both hands on the wheel or roll the dice on the unproven tunnel ram and drive with both hands from now on anyway.  I can run the Picton race then swap it as we race right up into Nov here at the local WE HATE LOW BUCK CARS track.
Don
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:40:55 AM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
Re: Kunundrum with my FED
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 02:15:11 PM »
Not that I am any expert or anything, but my personal feeling as a driver is I don't fondle the controls if I'm not doing something specifically and purposefully with them, kinda like not putting your finger on the trigger until ready to fire. No foot on the clutch if not clutching, no foot on the brake if not braking, no hand on the shifter if not shifting. This being either my stickshift street car or the powerglide FED. One exception: The parachute handle, I'll grab it ahead of the finish line when some speed has built to the point it might help straighten the car if it got loose on the big end. But then, having pulled it, it would be back to the grips with both hands.
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 05:30:10 PM »
Don - if it were me and all is running flawless, I'd have to make another pass "just to know" with the 4-barrell.  Be simple now, and if I didn't, it would keep me up at night just wondering about that brake....  You could not do it and put on the tunnel ram, and run it with your hand on the brake by habit, and then run it without the hand on the brake... and see to compare.  But if it were me I'd still wonder....   better to do some empirical testing now and not have to wonder.  And got my fingers crossed for your tunnel ram (nicely done).   DF       

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 06:07:10 PM »
I am inclined to agree with both of you. It would be nice to know for sure. Thanks for the input. Tisa bad habit and I need to deal with it right now. And I would always wonder. That is for sure.
Don
PS Every time I see this photo I can feel the breeze and I remember just how much fun I have had with this little car.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 06:13:01 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 09:32:33 PM »
It's obvious you've had lotsa fun, here's to lots more...
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 04:31:35 AM »
Thanks. I had no idea before building this how much fun a simple low buck six cyl car could be. Most fun race car I ever owned in my 47 years of drag racing. I have refused selling it as late as last Friday.
Don