Author Topic: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?  (Read 813604 times)

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
Re: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?
« Reply #765 on: July 09, 2014, 07:15:44 AM »
Bruce we have a rubber belted stand that goes just behind the rear engine plate. We use the jack to lift it up to that point. We were double checking the timing for the log book and had already removed the stand. If the wheels are spinning the stand is in-place. Our car is also never running without anyone in the seat. We saw "many" cars Sunday running with no one in the seat.  :o.

Thanks Glen

I'm not in the habit of telling anybody what to do, but jack stands should be under the car if it's running at all, and a qualified operator should be in the seat. Another habit that you might want to break is the one of straddling the car. Might not seem like much, but a trip or fall at the wrong time could land a guy on hot or rotating parts. Even worse if its on the ground and a neutral safety switch or something malfunctions. Drivers not in the seat of running cars is a huge pet peeve of mine, and something that I wish track officials had more time to police.

Even the mildest race car should be treated with the utmost respect and caution, stock type safety systems (neutral safety, parking pawl) should never be trusted. 

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #766 on: July 09, 2014, 05:07:33 PM »
No worries here on the guidance. 
If I am not in the seat my wife is. We have have been around this for a long time. I have also seen a lot of damage from people using standard jack stands to support a dragster, especially when running. That is why we made our own stand with rubber pad to cushion and create a non slip cradle to better support the weight.
To get to a rotating part on my car it would be deliberate action. Sort of like putting your hand in a blender, but first you need to take the blender out of the cabinet and plugged it in ;D

George that's what I figured, its just been a long week already :(

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #767 on: July 14, 2014, 02:47:44 PM »
When I built my car I used a commercial Gas pedal assembly. A MR Gasket one. Never liked it as it is very stiff at the start making staging always a challenge at best. After a week floating down the Danube and day dreaming I decided to attack that when I got home. First plan was to see if I could rework the Mr Gasket one . After about a hour of trying I came up with a little bolt on device that essentially cures the problem and allows for smooth throttle operation from idle to full. Tomorrow I will finalize it and report back. Sometimes a restful week can be a great benefit to your racing plan. Perhaps the farther away the better. Who'd a thunk it?
don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #768 on: July 19, 2014, 02:27:02 PM »
Big milestone...Dropped the engine into the chassis today. Presently doing all of the plumbing

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #769 on: July 19, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »
Big milestone...Dropped the engine into the chassis today. Presently doing all of the plumbing

Exciting times! It's a great sight to see the engine finally in there. I had a road bump when dropping mine in the rails, it wouldn't fit, had to get it out and saw 1/2" of iron off the widest part of block. Then realized that my mini-starter wasn't mini enough...

Good luck!

Offline tinbanger

• View Profile
    • William
  • Your Best Time: 7.85
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: 225" Spitzer FED
« Reply #770 on: July 21, 2014, 11:40:44 AM »
Thanks Wideopen for turning me on to this link. Did not ever think there was this many fed heads. Just got my 05 Spizter 225". I traded a 235" 4-link Undercover for it and will never look back. My last fed was a 01 Parks 225".  My plan for the Spitzer is to lay down a radiator , rewire and add a delay box. After that go show all those identical pipe racks in staging with the engine in the wrong place what a real race car will do. [img][img]

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #771 on: July 21, 2014, 12:09:06 PM »
Tin banger I race at Lebanon also.

Offline grapro

• View Profile
  • Your Track: edmonton
  • Your Vehicle: 184" FED
« Reply #772 on: July 22, 2014, 05:48:23 AM »
I just finished piping my fuel lines and got to take the car outside for some pictures.

dreracecar

« Reply #773 on: July 22, 2014, 08:36:59 AM »
Those in block water temp gauges are nice but carry a spare. Engine vibrations do a number on the insides and after a while the needle will act like a tach when you rev it. Summit has them for a good price
http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/summit-racing/product-line/summit-racing-screw-in-engine-temperature-gauges?autoview=SKU

@ $30 each liquid filled

Offline grapro

• View Profile
  • Your Track: edmonton
  • Your Vehicle: 184" FED
« Reply #774 on: July 26, 2014, 06:58:44 PM »
I received my 2.4 Nhra chassis certification. Now I have to race to get ready to race before the snow flies

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #775 on: July 26, 2014, 07:22:17 PM »
Grapro it's always a relief when the car has its new cert. Congrats now get to the track and get some pictures/videos.

As for us
The car is in the trailer and ready to run. We weren't able to run the car here so next Friday should be fun at National trail in Ohio. We found and fixed a few issues with the fuel system and we installed a 54-5600 converter (previous was around 3000).
We also bumped the timing up a little more.
A few hours tomorrow sorting the tool boxes and loading the safety gear and we are ready to head out in a few days
This is the earliest we have been ready in years ;D
Usually we are working on everything right up until we get in the truck and leave behind schedule......
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:24:32 PM by Supercat »

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #776 on: August 11, 2014, 10:32:34 AM »
Started prepping the car for Picton Airfield. It is over a month away but I like to go prepared. Spent quite  bit of time balancing the linkage for the two carbs. These were used carbs that I reworked and so have a bit of wear in the shaft area. And despite have the exact same number did nt have the exact same linkage. I made a work around but have since discovered that I can buy replacement bottom plate assemblies and so I may do that over the winter. meanwhile I got them pretty close, as close as is physically possible all considered.  I don't drive it at idle anyway but wanted them in synch as much as possible. Spent about an hour adjusting, testing, readjusting. If the burrple , fuel starvation is gone (right at the rpm peak in first gear just at the shift) Then that will be it as far as searching for more goes. I am happy right here.
don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #777 on: August 13, 2014, 12:15:48 PM »
Got out with my car this past weekend . First time since Bowling Green . I put my looser converter in it to try and improve my 60 ft times 1.13's at Bowling Green . I made 5 passes 2 were throw away . I ended up lowering my launch rpm to 4200 and picked up . we went 7.50 at 178 7.43 at 180 and 7.39 at 180 . The 7.39 is one of the best passes ever for this car and the conditions were not all that good . The next time out I am going to try some m5 methanol . My best 60 ft was still only a 1.10 and I think it should be around 1.05 Any body have any idea's   

dreracecar

« Reply #778 on: August 13, 2014, 05:17:05 PM »
Whats m5 methonal???

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #779 on: August 13, 2014, 05:22:52 PM »
M5 methanol is a VP product probably won't pass a fuel check
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-drag-racing