Author Topic: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?  (Read 813752 times)

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
Re: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?
« Reply #735 on: June 15, 2014, 02:43:32 PM »
Made 2 test hits last night.........my car is wanting a considerable amount of preload in the R/R.  :P   Rear end appears (measured) to be square with chassis and we started testing with the car 19 lbs heavy on the R/R. Also added 1 psi extra to the R/R for the second hit, which was better than the first. Track had teeth like a bull shark. I'm really thinking the converter needs a major adjustment to soften the hit.

Offline grapro

• View Profile
  • Your Track: edmonton
  • Your Vehicle: 184" FED
« Reply #736 on: June 23, 2014, 05:35:16 AM »
I mounted my fuel tank and tranny cooler and started putting my fuel system together.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #737 on: June 23, 2014, 08:07:36 AM »
I mounted my fuel tank and tranny cooler and started putting my fuel system together.
Just a thought, if you move the tank forward you have the same weight, but with the weight further forward the dragster is less likely to wheel stand.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline grapro

• View Profile
  • Your Track: edmonton
  • Your Vehicle: 184" FED
« Reply #738 on: June 23, 2014, 09:16:30 AM »
I was going to do that but my fire bottles fit in front of it, with my transmission cooler and I am only 184 inches so the area gets pretty congested. My last compartment behind the front axle is very small also. Only 8 inches wide and starts at 6" and goes down to nothing quickly. I don't think I will have much more room up front other that some room for some lead weight.  I would like to cover everything later so I think I am stuck with what I have.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #739 on: June 23, 2014, 09:19:12 AM »
I ran my fastest MPH in my car last weekend 6.66 @ 213 MPH in my blown SBC FED

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #740 on: June 23, 2014, 02:21:54 PM »
I ran my fastest MPH in my car last weekend 6.66 @ 213 MPH in my blown SBC FED
Nice!!

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #741 on: June 23, 2014, 02:55:41 PM »
Wow! I couldn't handle that. Over 200 takes more guts then I have. I scared myself Sat with the bugs worked out of tunnel ram the car went as fast as I ever want to go. Had a slight burble just before the 1-2 shift. Occurred every run at exactly the same point . I traced it to fuel delivery. Thought might have been the pump unable to keep up with the quick rise in RPM and fuel demand in low gear but a 30 sec delivery test today proved that was not the issue. Eventually found the offending area and I believe will have it cured by the end of the week. The encouraging part of this is the engine would never have asked for this much fuel with the old Offy 4 BBl set up. Aside from that it pulled HARD from the git go and ran strong and smooth through 2 and 3 gear. Several fellows came to the pits or phoned over the weekend to say it was howling like a banshee as it crossed the finish line. A couple say they have videos.
don
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:58:48 PM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #742 on: June 24, 2014, 06:29:30 AM »
Wow! I couldn't handle that. Over 200 takes more guts then I have. I scared myself Sat with the bugs worked out of tunnel ram the car went as fast as I ever want to go. Had a slight burble just before the 1-2 shift. Occurred every run at exactly the same point . I traced it to fuel delivery. Thought might have been the pump unable to keep up with the quick rise in RPM and fuel demand in low gear but a 30 sec delivery test today proved that was not the issue. Eventually found the offending area and I believe will have it cured by the end of the week. The encouraging part of this is the engine would never have asked for this much fuel with the old Offy 4 BBl set up. Aside from that it pulled HARD from the git go and ran strong and smooth through 2 and 3 gear. Several fellows came to the pits or phoned over the weekend to say it was howling like a banshee as it crossed the finish line. A couple say they have videos.
don

Any idea of your top speed?
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 25, 2014, 04:42:03 AM »
No Max available should be 136 mph but I doubt it was that fast. I have run doorslammers around and above 120 so I doubt that would bother me even now. I am not a very good driver anyway. I only drive to see how my engine development is coming. I just now I am now at the edge of my comfort zone and I think I will just enjoy it now and not push any harder. The tunnel ram project and its headers produced far more then I expected. The car pulls hard right from the git go. Hard enough it is hard to believe a six cylinder is the power plant. It is probably nothing compared to most of you FED pilots but to me it is more then I thought possible. It must have been pretty good because there has been a steady stream of fellows stopping by or phoning to say how good it was running. They have timer running now with 8 inch display however I didn't know that at the time so didn't ask anyone to watch my ET. I guess it doesn't really matter . The car works better then I dreamed. The $ in is so small I am embarrassed (under $4000 total spent over 8 years including car and a spare set of new slicks) I am having fun and folks like it. Car has been on TV several times and in 7 magazines with one more to come so I am told. I am more then satisfied with the project. It started out as I needed a vehicle to test my six carb intake deal on so I built this and has wound up as the most fun car I have ever owned. I guess I should be happy with that. I didn't see the tach a I crossed the finish line so I cant even give a good guess. When the track's video comes I can read the et from the video however that will be a month or so coming.

Here is what started the whole project, before the car I built this and needed something to test it on.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:45:59 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline ricci32

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: sbc ,gas, 358cid
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: Vintage style FED
« Reply #744 on: June 25, 2014, 05:42:43 AM »
Don  how did you buddy go with the hemi rail.

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: June 25, 2014, 02:07:37 PM »
Oh Mikes car,
He had a great day. We made some minor tuning changes but very minor however I thought it was right. he drove a full pass in the morning but really doesn't have that killer instinct so it was more like a parade then a race That is Ok he drives his Willys gasser the same and he wont change so I understand. However in the afternoon he put seasoned FED pilot Pat Doornbos in the car. Pat didn't quite get his new engine in his FED so came to the track. I had told him not to come ever without his helmut as I have also had him drive mine. He did a fine job. Stretched the throttle cable on the first pass but Mike had plenty of adjustment and fixed it in a few minutes. All in all he made four passes. I saw Mikes and his first one. My pal Harry though stayed for them all and said the car worked great. Last pass Pat was pitted against a fairly stout bracket car with a 496 BB Chev. Word on the street is he did Mike proud. Pat stopped by last night for an hour. He said the car is fun to drive, has no bad manners and goes very well. He said shifter could use some work as it is perhaps too big for a rail and the engine needs some more crankcase venting as he was eating a bit of oil on the last pass in the eyes. Not a lot but enough that it showed up on the face mask. I went down to see why and found Mikey had blocked the vent hole with a rubber frost plug deal rather then install the venting device he was supposed to. So the engine now had less then half the crankcase venting relief it had when stock. I didn't say much because it was kinda obvious ;>) Mike will figure it out. Pat said though all in all it is a fun car to drive and he feels extremely safe in it. He said the early 331 hemi which is not too far from stock save a cam, some compression and that marine two single big carb manifold works surprisingly well. Mike who wants it like it was back in the day right down to the cam does not want old looks with modern performance. He wants it as it would have been. We may have to detune because Pat told me he glanced at the tach in the eyes. I wont say what he said it was because he said he wasn't 100% sure but if it is true then it doing more then we thought.
Everybody is happy here.  I predict Mike will have a hired shoe most of the time. I did for about 80% of my career. Actually it is more fun to watch for some of us.   
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 02:13:30 PM by Dolmetsch »

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #746 on: July 01, 2014, 07:06:41 PM »
Sunday we were able to finally get to the Dragster.
Mid-afternoon Sunday the Cat came to life for the first time at sea level(5' above ;))
We'll clean out the trailer on Friday and load the car up. Saturday we head to the track in Orlando for a few shake-down runs.
Looking forward to running the car with the Mag. The older MSD coil and box had been causing some issues the last few times out.

Offline JeffV8

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Quaker city
  • Your Vehicle: 164" Woody Gilmore Flexie
« Reply #747 on: July 02, 2014, 05:51:03 AM »
Good luck

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #748 on: July 02, 2014, 06:38:51 AM »

Sunday we were able to finally get to the Dragster.
Mid-afternoon Sunday the Cat came to life for the first time at sea level(5' above ;))
We'll clean out the trailer on Friday and load the car up. Saturday we head to the track in Orlando for a few shake-down runs.
Looking forward to running the car with the Mag. The older MSD coil and box had been causing some issues the last few times out.

;)
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: July 04, 2014, 05:32:10 PM »

Video taken by my friend Steve with his phone. You can hear the engine burble as it runs the bowls dry just before the 1 2 shift. Luckily it recovered and ran strong the rest of the way. I didn't push the converter stall on this run as I was preoccupied with the tunnel ram testing. It is getting harder to remember what to do every year.  I believe I have now cured the fuel delivery starvation in first gear. I may talk my friend Pat into running it for me.
 don
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 05:38:42 PM by Dolmetsch »