Author Topic: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?  (Read 813803 times)

dreracecar

Re: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?
« Reply #600 on: February 24, 2014, 04:59:24 PM »
Grit-sparks-metal shavings are not good for the webbing. Respect the things that are there for your safety.

Since I am a builder I tend to look at everthing as a liablity.  Say I do some work on a car and for some other reason the car crashes and the driver gets hurt, the last thing I would want is for the investigation to find spark burns or abrasive grit in the webbing along with metal shavings. Takes 3 minutes to pull the belts and stick them in a box on the shelf. When I am done with the work I hand the customer back the box with the belts in it.

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #601 on: February 24, 2014, 06:02:33 PM »
it took 4 mins.
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

dreracecar

« Reply #602 on: February 24, 2014, 06:16:35 PM »
I have had more practice ;D   thanx

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #603 on: February 24, 2014, 06:40:21 PM »
Got my crank (BRC 3.625 stroke) back from balancing last Friday :D and spent a few hrs in the shop over the weekend. I'd hoped the GRP blown alky aluminum rods would clear the block but no such luck  ::). Relieving the pan rail and bottom of the cylinder to clear the rods is time consuming :P. No hi-tech solutions here, just a large die grinder and carbide burr. Aluminum shavings in my BVD's. Looking forward to final assy. and start up in a couple weeks. Spring will be here soon and IT WILL BE LOUD!

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #604 on: March 02, 2014, 04:48:01 PM »
Finished drilling a bunch of rod bearings for dowel pins. "Burnished" the skirt coating on all eight pistons to get the piston-to-wall clearance where it needs to be. Took just about 2 lbs of rotating weight out of the cars driveline and got my crankshaft back from balancing.

Offline ss4

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.42 @ 128 - 1/8th
  • Your Track: Northern Michigan Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Worm Inc. 180 inch Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #605 on: March 03, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
we are still working on the body stuff.  spent most of the weekend laying glass and scratching myself from sanding.  Trying to get everything ready for primer for this coming weekend, at least the glass.  need to work out a slick way to put a gas door in the nose and finish up the rear panels on the english wheel.
if you need to Hate target Laziness

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #606 on: March 03, 2014, 11:18:22 AM »
Got my crank (BRC 3.625 stroke) back from balancing last Friday :D and spent a few hrs in the shop over the weekend. I'd hoped the GRP blown alky aluminum rods would clear the block but no such luck  ::). Relieving the pan rail and bottom of the cylinder to clear the rods is time consuming :P. No hi-tech solutions here, just a large die grinder and carbide burr. Aluminum shavings in my BVD's. Looking forward to final assy. and start up in a couple weeks. Spring will be here soon and IT WILL BE LOUD!
Make shure you check your rod to cam clearance . I use the same stroke with an alluminum rod and a few were touching . Bill

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #607 on: March 03, 2014, 11:20:04 AM »
Finished drilling a bunch of rod bearings for dowel pins. "Burnished" the skirt coating on all eight pistons to get the piston-to-wall clearance where it needs to be. Took just about 2 lbs of rotating weight out of the cars driveline and got my crankshaft back from balancing.
  More titanium !!

dreracecar

« Reply #608 on: March 03, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »
Make shure you check your rod to cam clearance . I use the same stroke with an alluminum rod and a few were touching . Bill

I run a 3.5" stroke and run a small base circle cam

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #609 on: March 03, 2014, 09:19:43 PM »
Not TODAY, technically, but this past weekend. New cage is fitted and tacked. I think I pretty much nailed the look I wanted. 8)
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

dreracecar

« Reply #610 on: March 04, 2014, 08:35:37 AM »
How did you like my method of fitting the second hoop?

Paladin AA/FA

« Reply #611 on: March 04, 2014, 09:30:08 AM »
What's your method for fitting the second hoop?

dreracecar

« Reply #612 on: March 04, 2014, 09:36:49 AM »
Ok now heres a trick

start off with just building the 3 point cage, so now you have to make and fit the rear uprite to the front hoop and shoulder hoop. now determine where you want the second hoop located to the rear uprite and mark the center.Remove the rear uprite and lay it flat on mill or drill press and hole-saw the hoop tubing dia just below center so that when you are done cutting the hole the 2 pieces are still attached. Tack the uprite back on the shoulder hoop and lift the front section of the uprite out of the way and now fit the secondary hoop. once fitted, then bring the front section back down- tack- and then tack the front hoop in place. Doing it this way keeps the arc of the second hoop consistant, keeps the side paralle,and you only have 2 tubing ends to fit.

From earlier post

Paladin AA/FA

« Reply #613 on: March 04, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »
Ok thanks, I didn't go back far enough.

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
« Reply #614 on: March 04, 2014, 08:12:58 PM »
I installed my hand brake and master cylinder. Sat in the car tonight and think I need to move my chute lever.

Can you attach a pic from an Iphone