Author Topic: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?  (Read 813585 times)

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
Re: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?
« Reply #435 on: September 22, 2013, 04:24:39 AM »
Back in the day when we raced to win the loss of a couple of tenths couple with a loss in MPH signalled the beginning of a high clutch failure. Since we were often points leader I would immediately pull the trans and replace the two sealing rings on the stator support where the high clutch drum rides and service the clutchpack. The front sealing ring on the stator support would burn because it is wet only on one side. After a talk with Mike Priest of Mobil oil on a chance meeting I reluctantly tried their synthetic trans oil. Mike told me and I quote "Don, suit yourself but aluminum melts at 1170 degrees F and Mobil 1 trans oil is stable to 1600 deg F so your tranny will have melted long before the lubrication fails."
After pondering this I reluctantly tried it. We had no failures for five years after that other then a broken rear spraque which has nothing to do with lubrication. Before that I was servicing the trans high clutch every 3 to 4 weeks as we were on a heavy racing schedule. So I would look at the MPH . If there is 3 to 5 MPH mysteriously missing I would look at the high clutch pack AND its iron or stainless sealing rings. Might not be your problem but I would be a jerk not to mention it in case it just happens to be. BTW I don't always use Mobil 1 but I still do always use synthetic trans oil now even in the little blue FED.
Don   
BTW the mph loss shows up on your time ticket LONG before you can feel it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 04:28:07 AM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #436 on: September 22, 2013, 04:31:50 AM »
If the clutch is failing would the RPM raise (mine has not)?

If the clutch is failing would 60 foots drop off, top end still be good (MPH)?

I have change the fluid, there was a normal amount of "sediment" in the pan, no shinny stuff
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #437 on: September 22, 2013, 06:20:01 AM »
Glen If you have a trans issue and your 60 ft's were off it would most likely be your band slipping but very easy to check .Put a mark on the adjusting screw and loosen the lock nut . When you turn the adjusting screw in count the amount of turns it takes to reach 72 inch lbs . It should be around 4 turns . If it takes a little more like 5 turns it's just loose . If it takes 7 or more there is something wrong . If every thing is ok just back off the adjuster 4 turns and tighten the lock nut and you are good to go . That being said I doubt that is your problem . From the looks of your picture it looks like you had a dead hole when you were leaving the line . Do you leave off of a chip ? If so the motor could be going dead rich with the barrel valve open all the way . Im shure Spud could help you out with that . Or it could be just a fouled plug . Good luck I know you will figure it out Bill

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #438 on: September 22, 2013, 10:24:16 AM »
Agree with Bill about the cylinder and if he's right about the chip and barrle a SLE  would be the ticket. Never liked idea of matting throttle with BV  and full flow at x rpm for 1.--- seconds.

If you have data recorder the shaft rpm would show if tranny problem.Also if don't have pump pressure reading I would get one,helps identify pump problem or blockage issue(higher than norm).

How about blower? Is boost correct for rpm,again if getting recording of it during run. A tip when blower is fresh check vaccume and then you can always check it to keep check of blower condition. I use a extra plug in bottom of hat where nozzles are.

If possible try another ignition system.

My votes would be ignition,converter,trans mission band or clutches,Pump or blower. Pretty much that order too.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 22, 2013, 11:10:18 AM »
Back in the day when we raced to win the loss of a couple of tenths couple with a loss in MPH signalled the beginning of a high clutch failure. Since we were often points leader I would immediately pull the trans and replace the two sealing rings on the stator support where the high clutch drum rides and service the clutchpack. The front sealing ring on the stator support would burn because it is wet only on one side. After a talk with Mike Priest of Mobil oil on a chance meeting I reluctantly tried their synthetic trans oil. Mike told me and I quote "Don, suit yourself but aluminum melts at 1170 degrees F and Mobil 1 trans oil is stable to 1600 deg F so your tranny will have melted long before the lubrication fails."
After pondering this I reluctantly tried it. We had no failures for five years after that other then a broken rear spraque which has nothing to do with lubrication. Before that I was servicing the trans high clutch every 3 to 4 weeks as we were on a heavy racing schedule. So I would look at the MPH . If there is 3 to 5 MPH mysteriously missing I would look at the high clutch pack AND its iron or stainless sealing rings. Might not be your problem but I would be a jerk not to mention it in case it just happens to be. BTW I don't always use Mobil 1 but I still do always use synthetic trans oil now even in the little blue FED.
Don   
BTW the mph loss shows up on your time ticket LONG before you can feel it.
Don you have a good point about the seal rings . A broken input ring on a powerglide can cause a converter filling problem . Most of the trans builders today use teflon rings and they are pretty bullet proof . I agree with the Mobil 1 good stuff ! Another good fluid is John deer Hy Gaurd .

Offline masracingtd1167

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: September 22, 2013, 11:14:13 AM »
Agree with Bill about the cylinder and if he's right about the chip and barrle a SLE  would be the ticket. Never liked idea of matting throttle with BV  and full flow at x rpm for 1.--- seconds.

If you have data recorder the shaft rpm would show if tranny problem.Also if don't have pump pressure reading I would get one,helps identify pump problem or blockage issue(higher than norm).

How about blower? Is boost correct for rpm,again if getting recording of it during run. A tip when blower is fresh check vaccume and then you can always check it to keep check of blower condition. I use a extra plug in bottom of hat where nozzles are.

If possible try another ignition system.

My votes would be ignition,converter,trans mission band or clutches,Pump or blower. Pretty much that order too.
Hey Chris where have you been? I kind of half expected to see you at Epping !

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 22, 2013, 05:51:02 PM »
we went out 4 times this year and ignition broke every time. went back to a stock gm hei and no problems now. went to our annual buick race at cecil this past w/end. we made 5 passes Friday. all over the place. 11.1 to 11.8 et's. 107 to 117 mph. found #8 intake rocker adjuster backed off. thought I had a cylinder that went bad. whew! watching the car leave was not good. I could count the tire rpm. need more gear and a higher converter. current one is only 3500 with 4'10's. conservative me. don't like a lot of initial rpm. but I guess I will have to change it for next year.
but it made it thru the w/end w/out breaking down.  ;D  ;D

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #442 on: September 22, 2013, 07:35:28 PM »
Guys, I move over to Spud's cave with this problem and have posted some additional information and pictures of data logger graphs, take a look and comment over there at this link

http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php?topic=609.0

Fuel pressure seems to drop before engine RPM just after launch???

We have check compression, valve lash, put in a new MSD box, New coil, removed the primmer, check timing, increased timing to 30 degrees, check the inside of the distributor cap, remove and cut open the torque converter (no problems found)

Glenn R. Lever

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 23, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »
I did the final inspection today. All OK. Now we just wait and put the car on display at the local cruise nights.
Bad news. My pal and fellow racer puked the injected BB Chevy Sunday at Capital City Speedway on his last pass.  He has a Ski boat and may pull it out of storage and pop that motor in. Still a lot of work for one day but it is a great race.  So we may be short one FED Saturday. Any budding Airfield racers out there or an Altered will also fit the program nicely?
Sold my other chassis today. Going to stick with the Sr dragster.
Don

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 25, 2013, 11:01:06 PM »
Was down to Mike Sietsma's. He wasn't home but the back yard was covered with test burnouts. He stopped by later that day all smiles . Says he can stall to above 3500 easily and maybe close to 3800 when warm. Says since adding the overflow bottle car stays cool longer even without a rad. He says it runs perfectly. Starts instantly and no bog on anything when you flat foot it. He had a stress test this week. Hope all is good. Hopefully he was not wisked away for emergency anything. Usually have breakfast every thurs so I will know in the morning. I am starting to get the pre race butterflies. No sleep and a bit excited. Weather report is good for Sat.
Good to see I still get so cranked. The Great Picton Airfield Fall Classic coming sat. Some pro racerswho are friends of ours stated they can not come because they just cant race with an armdrop. They need lights. Sorry for their loss. I can. When I started running at Cedars in the 60s flags were still the rage. When we got the first Christmas tree we thought we had arrived. Actually the Armdrop is easier then the flags because the arms don't flap in the wind. I know really they think racing for fun is beneath them. I used to as well but reached a point in my life where it suited me better then the racing for points and $$$$$$$$.  Now I have more fun then I thought possible.
Also spent a lot more time on the tunnel and ram /headers . Painted them with VHT headercoat and was working on one of the carbs that had a linkage issue. Will start installing that combo as soon as Picton race is behind us.
Don

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #445 on: September 26, 2013, 08:17:31 PM »
I fired up the FED today, after being dormant since my test pass on 10/26/2012.

Our employer is promoting a charitable – United Way – car show tomorrow and I was asked if I could bring the FED.

Preparation:
a) Washed fuel tank last night, it did have some visible small debris. I still don't use a fuel filter, but I'm considering one.
b) Changed oil and filter: Castrol GTX 20W-50 and Fram HP4 (not my favorite)
c) Primed the oil pump, got ~60psi.
d) Checked timing (~12deg) and installed spark plugs.
e) Checked the Primary By-Pass Valve. Found debris keeping the popped valve from sealing. This probable explains the very hard starts in the last time I used the car.
f) Squirted some gasoline in the stacks and fire in the hole!

Unfortunately, other priorities will keep me from taking it to the track this year.

Cheers,

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #446 on: September 27, 2013, 01:31:19 AM »
At least you are getting to play with it some,even if just fire in the hole.I'm about ready to set mine up just so I can fire it off.Tired of neighbors asking so when are we going to hear that thing.Thinking about just throwing the whipple setup back on motor and let them know what loud means.Its not nitro loud,but I can still shake windows for few houses down.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 27, 2013, 04:11:04 AM »
Read the last two with great interest. Glad to see then bark to life again. For me as I age and strive against some injuries I received years ago in my shop I realize there will come a time in the not too distant future when I can no longer do this. I go now only to the Picton Airfield Armdrop Drags which are like it was in the early 1960s. I manage usually three good runs and sometimes four or five depending how I feel. Occasionally if an experienced driver I know and trust is there I will let him make a pass. Sometimes it is fun to see how the car performs and listen to the snarl of the 246 cubed six cylinder as it tries its best against the big V8 cars. At 2 or 3 races per year I figure or hope I have at least 6 or 8 more in me.
That is not a lot so I am determined not to bypass any while I still can do it safely. My friends watch me and make sure I am ok , that I stay out of direct sunlight when waiting(I can not stand direct hot sun for too long anymore. was always prone to sunstrokes) and don't wear myself out so I am sharp when in the car. If I am not they tell me. I value that. Someday and probably not long away I will know it is time to hang up my helmut. In the meantime YABA DABA DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #448 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:27 PM »
Arrived at NDRL race in Bowling Green yesterday.

Wired up the flapper I n the tank and made 4 time trials.

The problem is not completely fixed but better.

We have been trying to run an 8.5 index all summer.

Decided that as this is the last race of the season to push it a little harder.

first pass was 8.371, second was 8.129,

third we leaded it out and pushed more air had a .040 r/t on the .400 pro tree and ran 8.035 and on the fourth pass had a reaction time of .037 and ran 8.093 on the same tune and the a/d had gone away by 200 feet.  I think we are in the ball park, but still the fuel pressure drops a little off the line??????
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #449 on: September 27, 2013, 08:22:49 PM »
Glen what size and type of supply line are you using? Could your supply be collapsing? We ran into this on the fuel car we were running.

Also here is a picture of our car with the new zoomies. More pictures in my build thread.