Author Topic: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?  (Read 813788 times)

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?
« Reply #420 on: September 18, 2013, 12:26:28 PM »
Removed engine and tranny. And a lot of miscellaneous junk. I'm amazed at what was used and raced with. I wouldn't have idled it down the strip.
I think everyone has scratched their head wondering what the PO was thinking
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #421 on: September 19, 2013, 04:20:48 PM »
Thanks, Glenn, it ain't all that, but it ain't all it's gonna be either.
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #422 on: September 20, 2013, 03:46:30 AM »
We are down to 8 days to our big fall Picton  Airfield race. I have gone over everything on the car. Found  couple of loose intake bolts. Fixed that. cleaned up the car and repainted a bit of the one header pipe. (I use stove pipe black). Got one other thing I may look into but essentially I am ready. Also have been continuing to work on the new tunnel ram and headers. Getting very close to being done. The Monday following "The Great Race" I will begin the change over. May get a test and tune chance before the end of the season.
Meanwhile down the road in the valley Mike has been working on the vintage hemi Fed and has it sorted out. Expect some back yard testing today or tomorrow. Looks like he will make Picton. That will give us 4 FEDS . Mine, Pat's injected BB Chevy, Moe's Pontiac and Mikes hemi.
Of course more are always welcome!
Don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #423 on: September 20, 2013, 05:08:28 AM »
We are down to 8 days to our big fall Picton  Airfield race. I have gone over everything on the car. Found  couple of loose intake bolts. Fixed that. cleaned up the car and repainted a bit of the one header pipe. (I use stove pipe black). Got one other thing I may look into but essentially I am ready. Also have been continuing to work on the new tunnel ram and headers. Getting very close to being done. The Monday following "The Great Race" I will begin the change over. May get a test and tune chance before the end of the season.
Meanwhile down the road in the valley Mike has been working on the vintage hemi Fed and has it sorted out. Expect some back yard testing today or tomorrow. Looks like he will make Picton. That will give us 4 FEDS . Mine, Pat's injected BB Chevy, Moe's Pontiac and Mikes hemi.
Of course more are always welcome!
Don

Good Luck, I hate the words "end of the season"
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 20, 2013, 01:18:28 PM »
All welding done. finished the collectors today. Time now to make it pretty.
Don

Offline janjon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.74/124 1/8
  • Your Engine: SB Chev, gas, 350ish
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsports Park
  • Your Vehicle: '65-ish 150" SBC/Glide FED
« Reply #425 on: September 20, 2013, 07:20:07 PM »
Don, good luck and lots of fun at Picton!
John
Just keep the same amount of stuff on the right
as there is on the left. Seeing straight ahead is highly overrated....

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #426 on: September 20, 2013, 08:29:53 PM »
Wel, we lost .5 of a second and have been looking for it. Pulled the transmission, and had the torque converter cut to check it, not there, compression check all good not there, check data recorder for lost values, fuel pressure, boost etc. not there, changed out the MSD box, hope that was it, will test and tune this Sunday, next week we want to go to Bowling Green and will regardless. Only hint we have is fuel out the exhaust on launch, 60 foots are terrible.
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 21, 2013, 03:12:03 AM »
Thanks John. It is a different kind of racing and I am addicted to it. No prizes, no fighting. Just fun and old friends
Don

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #428 on: September 21, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
Wel, we lost .5 of a second and have been looking for it. Pulled the transmission, and had the torque converter cut to check it, not there, compression check all good not there, check data recorder for lost values, fuel pressure, boost etc. not there, changed out the MSD box, hope that was it, will test and tune this Sunday, next week we want to go to Bowling Green and will regardless. Only hint we have is fuel out the exhaust on launch, 60 foots are terrible.

I would have bet it was the convertor. I agree on the 60' times, should be 1.10 or better.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #429 on: September 21, 2013, 06:30:42 AM »

I would have bet it was the convertor. I agree on the 60' times, should be 1.10 or better.

Only other thought is the tires are old, should have gotten slicker, but they feel gummy. I might try adding a pound or two of air.
Glenn R. Lever

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 21, 2013, 06:49:07 AM »

Only other thought is the tires are old, should have gotten slicker, but they feel gummy. I might try adding a pound or two of air.

I have been playing with tire combinations and so far nothing beats the Goodyears. I got another set of Hoosiers and will be trying them next week. Time is getting short. Our racing season will end in about a month.

Yep, my season is essentially over September 29th.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 07:03:04 AM by GlennLever »

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 21, 2013, 07:16:08 AM »

I have been playing with tire combinations and so far nothing beats the Goodyears. I got another set of Hoosiers and will be trying them next week. Time is getting short. Our racing season will end in about a month.

I am running a MSD 12lt mag. We have ended up with a .015 plug gap. There seems to be less fuel out the pipes. I had been running .018-.020. Just a thought.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #432 on: September 21, 2013, 08:17:10 AM »

I am running a MSD 12lt mag. We have ended up with a .015 plug gap. There seems to be less fuel out the pipes. I had been running .018-.020. Just a thought.

I'm not running a mag, thoughts of that next year. Running a 6AL-2 MSD with MSD Blaster II coil with a plug gap of .030
Glenn R. Lever

Offline George

• View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 21, 2013, 08:56:51 AM »

I'm not running a mag, thoughts of that next year. Running a 6AL-2 MSD with MSD Blaster II coil with a plug gap of .030

I have a MSD Digital 6 + and have run with it and found no difference with either ignition system. You might try .025.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #434 on: September 21, 2013, 08:58:12 AM »

I have a MSD Digital 6 + and have run with it and found no difference with either ignition system. You might try .025.
I'll give it a shot
Glenn R. Lever