Author Topic: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?  (Read 813627 times)

Offline Foot Feed

• View Profile
  • Your Track: ARP
  • Your Vehicle: scrounging parts
Re: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?
« Reply #360 on: August 13, 2013, 09:39:38 AM »
 ;D

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #361 on: August 15, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »
Today I started working on the tunnel ram again for the sr dragster . I have the headers to finish and the carbs to overhaul and set. Today I set the manifold up on the VW gasser engine. I hope you wont misunderstqnd . It isn he dragsters manifold , not the gassers but the slant six is mounted and easily worked on in the gasser so it is just like an engine stand for me. Anything that fits the gasser will fit the rail since the rail is 8 inches wider between the frame rails and has no mount in the way on the drivers side as that side in the rail is front mounted. Header primary needs to be 38 inches for my rails set up. These beautiful long swooping almost mandral bends are availably at your Lowes building supplier in several sizes. These happen to accept the exhaust valve |I use inside which is my criteria for header primary size for normal length headers. Each of the front three pipes must be 4 inches difference in out vrs back so the ends will come out even at the proper length. Here is one tacked up. I wont do anymore on that today so I wont get in a rush.  Work, stop and think seems to work well for me. Amazing what pops into you head when you are sawing logs.
Don
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 03:36:03 AM by Dolmetsch »
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 15, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »
got the new ignition module installed today. buick day Saturday at the valley. hopefully it will run.......... ;D

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 16, 2013, 04:01:15 PM »
I installed another pipe today. The third is made and fitted but will have to be welded in when the manifold is on the bench. All three pipes end at the same spot + or - an inch. They are all 27 inches now. Three straight sections of 11 inches will complete the primary section of the header . Next week I will do the rear three around the starter. It looks like it will be  a bit easier but we will see.
Don
Again sorry to be doing the mock up on the gasser engine. This manifold though is made specifically for the rail. You will notice the slight angle difference between the plenum and the runners. That is because the engine in the rail sits more upright then the stock slant six. Oil pan especially trans pan are different also for this reason. As I said before this is basically an engine stand and not where the manifold will wind up.
Don again
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:14:34 AM by Dolmetsch »

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 17, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »
went to the valley today with the new ign module. didn't get far. that one died too. john also bought one. installed that one too. grrrrr. ended up back on the trailer to home. installed an old gm hei and it runs 100 times better than the Mallory.

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 17, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »
Back when we were racing to win before we discovered how to have fun I did several back to back tests of ignition systems since I always equipped all mopar car running out of my shop, mine or customers with a back up plain ignition module should the exotic one fail which by the way which was far more often then it should have been. Several times  over the last 30 years I have had to unplug the exotic and plug in the normal LX101 ignition box so customer uld complete his day. Not once not ever did it ever hurt the time and on more then one occasion I was told it improved it slightly. Having a two step and certainly having a stutter box or launch chip is a great help but I have come to the conclusion in most cases all the other stuff is just smoke and mirrors. I also have used a recuved HEI well into the eight second range on a BBchev RED I supplied power for. They changed it to a Bell industries fancy dancy system but it ran the best time it ever ran on my recurved HEI.Ignition is no longer a mystery for me. I am now unmoved by any exotic claims. Some say I stubborn. I like to say bulletproof. Anyway my experiences are no different then what you have just described.  Much of the stuff is flat out unreliable. 
Don

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #366 on: August 18, 2013, 09:58:47 AM »
Brought my block to Charlie Weston's shop in NJ for final machining and installation of lifter bushings.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #367 on: August 18, 2013, 12:00:55 PM »
He did my lifter bores and cam tunnel also . Some pretty nice equipment in his shop.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #368 on: August 18, 2013, 07:04:03 PM »
I finished actual nose piece. Not really ready for it but had materials and had to be done some time .Hey ats one step closer.

Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 19, 2013, 06:13:40 PM »
Somedays are diamonds , some are stones. Today was a stone. Although I did get no 4 pipe made and tacked in no 5 was too much for todays heat. Welder was being stupid , GFI outlet in the shop puked so everything was out for a while. Finally had enuf and turned to my ham radio hobby for a bit.(VE3LYX) But tomorrow is another day!
Don

Offline Tim Jones

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 20, 2013, 03:45:41 AM »
I finished actual nose piece. Not really ready for it but had materials and had to be done some time .Hey ats one step closer.

Nose piece came out nice , did you change the depth of the V or leave it the same?   Tim Jones

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #371 on: August 20, 2013, 03:02:41 PM »
left it or ended up the  same lots of bondo and sanding Im not sure. Dang body work makes a mess.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:20:57 AM by GlennLever »
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
« Reply #372 on: August 23, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
Today I finished figuring out which of my cam lobes need to be narrowed and by how much. My head nearly exploded.

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 24, 2013, 08:26:15 AM »
Went back at the headers which are by necessity part of the tunnel ram set up. Got No5 made and tacked in finally. Also started on No6 . Need another manderal bend so it is off to Lowes building store for some more EMT. Wonderful stuff and at six and a half bucks a bend  a real bargin.
Don

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #374 on: August 24, 2013, 10:55:02 AM »
Today I finished figuring out which of my cam lobes need to be narrowed and by how much. My head nearly exploded.
I have seen that with some of Billy's stuff . did you get your block back from Charlie . He is one of the best!