Author Topic: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?  (Read 813641 times)

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
Re: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?
« Reply #255 on: June 05, 2013, 05:29:53 PM »
Bill - motor & trans in place is a good accomplishment. Nice!

I like your setup. I have a couple questions if I may:
a) I really like your throttle pedal assembly. Do you happen to know where I can buy one?
b) Is the gauge on the right valve cover a vacuum gage?

Thanks

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »
Ricardo I made the pedal out of 3/8 chromemolly tubing . I purchaced a bender from Jerry Bickle race cars . I was only  about 60 dollars and handy as could be . Yes that's a vac gauge but I have had 2 break already . Cheap Jegs gauges I think yiu need a liqid filled one .

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2013, 04:27:58 PM »
Thanks for the info Bill. I may try that route. I like fabrication, but I'm not nearly as skilled as you are.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #258 on: June 07, 2013, 11:22:26 AM »
So after 40 days and 40 nights of rain and cold weather it looks like we might get to go to the track tomorrow. The dragster has been wanting to quit running at the top end of the track (fuel running away from the  pick up) so I have been wanting to install a primer system

I purchased a "Kit" that used Enderle's billet tank through AlkyDigger

To do what I want which is a little out of the box I had to purchase some additional stuff

So this install made me really nervous as it just seemed to fall together, normally you have to fight and fit things many times but this just seemed to go together. The return from the "K" valve was just the right height of the bottom of the belly pan

I removed the two plugs from the side of the primer tank and two -8 fittings screwed right in, I removed the straight 1/8 NPT to -4 fitting out of the bottom and installed a 1/8 NPT 90 -4 fitting on the bottom. On the -8 fitting I installed a -8 coupler.

So the tank is just the right height so that the bottom fitting just sits on the belly pan, the -8 return on the tank is just the right distance from the side of the chassis and bottom of the belly pan. The wiring from the old electric fuel pump was in just the right location to connect the primmer pump. With it plumbed into the return line from the "K" valve the tank will always be full once started for the first time on a race day. That just makes one less thing that needs to be done in the pit.

I replaced the old fuel pump toggle switch with the rubber capped momentary on starter button ordered from Summit, and now at a push of a button I get a nice squirt of alcohol into the rear most port of the hat on top of the blower. I had used the rear ports in the blower for my rear two injectors. We will try it out tomorrow.

This picture is from Empire today, I do not think I will get to try it out tomorrow.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:50:16 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2013, 02:14:26 PM »
I worked late afternoon on the tunnel ram for the blue rail  (AKA The Senior Dragster)
I made the bottom retainer for the headers today and welded it to the pipe stubs. The pipe studs will be hand filed to be just proud when the manifold is tight. I also drilled all the holes for the bottom plate. With this manifold the headers are captive which complicated the build but not impossible. Now to clean it up. then decide paint , powder coat or natural ???
The carbs are 500 cfm Holleys although one must remember two barrel Holley are rated at 3  instead of 1.5 depression so in reality are around 350 to 375 cfm so total cfm will be somewhere like a 750cfm 4bbl.
Runners are tuned for 6000RPM  and are tapered . Exhaust stubs are made from EMT which was readily available and inexpensive. The bends are very well made. Next is to mount it on an engine and finish the headers so they hug the block and will fit the dragster (and maybe the gassser too. )A lot of fiddling around on a job like this but often it is well worth the effort.
Don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline Zooman

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Willowbank Australia
  • Your Vehicle: injected nitro digger
« Reply #260 on: June 07, 2013, 03:37:57 PM »
Hello FED team.
This is my first post here, as I have just found the site.
I wish I could have shared daily tribulations in this thread with y'all over the past few years because that is how long it has taken me to finish this injected nitro digger. Last month it was finally driven around the car park with 98% in the tank to make sure it could stage etc before heading to the track for licencing and testing.

There are a couple of little things to finish yet, so I'll report on those items as they are delt with.

Cheers to all.
Graham (Von Zoom) Slapp

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #261 on: June 07, 2013, 05:31:01 PM »
Hello FED team.
I wish I could have shared daily tribulations in this thread with y'all over the past few years because that is how long it has taken me to finish this injected nitro digger. Last month it was finally driven around the car park with 98% in the tank to make sure it could stage etc before heading to the track for licencing and testing.

There are a couple of little things to finish yet, so I'll report on those items as they are delt with.

Cheers to all.
Graham (Von Zoom) Slapp

Very nice keep us up to date, add a thread under builds.
Glenn R. Lever

Offline tylercrawford

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2013, 01:08:13 PM »
Now we have a zoo and a roo?  :o  ;D

I got mine fired up as well . . .

Going to have to take it somewhere as the cops were called on us.  No biggie, cop was cool with it and asked a bunch of questions about it but I doubt they would be that happy with going out there a 2nd or 3rd time.

Neighbors across the street on the other hand . . . not cool with it apparently.

Trying to make a nostalgia race July 6th so got some time to wrap things up.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2013, 02:41:15 PM »
Sounds like neighbors jealous.

We use to have some of those. Around here the disturbing the peace is not issue till 10:00 pm. A sheriff told me that if I fired funnycar up before 9:59 shu7t it down and there was nothing they coyuld legaly do. Guess what happened a cpl times right before loading for a race.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #264 on: June 08, 2013, 03:06:08 PM »
Now we have a zoo and a roo?  :o  ;D

I got mine fired up as well . . .

Going to have to take it somewhere as the cops were called on us.  No biggie, cop was cool with it and asked a bunch of questions about it but I doubt they would be that happy with going out there a 2nd or 3rd time.

Neighbors across the street on the other hand . . . not cool with it apparently.

Trying to make a nostalgia race July 6th so got some time to wrap things up.

Well I see I'm not the only one to get the cops called on. They have been here a couple of times. The last time I offered them some donuts that we were having and they didn't like that at all.

The dragster they had no problems with.
Glenn R. Lever

Offline tylercrawford

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2013, 03:27:08 PM »
Around here the disturbing the peace is not issue till 10:00 pm. A sheriff told me that if I fired funnycar up before 9:59 shu7t it down and there was nothing they coyuld legaly do. Guess what happened a cpl times right before loading for a race.

Hmmm . . . cop said the neighbors could try to push a noise ordinance if I start it again in the future.

I'm obviously not going to burnout up the street or anything but I would like to be able to set the idle where I want it and check it in gear.  It ran today 3 times, each about 30-45 seconds.

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 08, 2013, 03:38:41 PM »
"... The last time I offered them some donuts that we were having and they didn't like that at all. "

Love it! Can't stop laughing...

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #267 on: June 08, 2013, 04:13:13 PM »
I bet it still went over better than when I brought them a dozen and they where watching my camaro 24 hrs for 10 days.Something to do with half the area police force chasing it for 28 minutes before I made wrong turn.Hey at 140 plus its easy to miss the turn you wanted to take and turn down the next road. Playing with them for while,basically catching myself then bring them dounuts when they where watching me. Yea they where not happy. No snese of humor!!!
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #268 on: June 11, 2013, 07:17:40 PM »
Hello FED team.

Cheers to all.
Graham (Von Zoom) Slapp             Wow, WOW, wowSA, I like it!

Offline ricci32

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: sbc ,gas, 358cid
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: Vintage style FED
« Reply #269 on: June 11, 2013, 08:00:46 PM »
worked on the chute pack body