Author Topic: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?  (Read 813771 times)

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
  • Your Engine: 365" GenIV SBC
  • Your Track: Famoso Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 1997 Stirling 200" FED
Re: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?
« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2013, 06:28:09 PM »
I understand.  I tried water, i tried holding water, recirculating water, etc. Then i had to replace my block (good story there...), and this block has never seen a freeze plug, water, or anything like that.  matter of fact, my heads on the car now are solid, with no water ports in them.  It's cool after 20-30 minutes.  With water it took forever to cool.
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2013, 06:53:05 PM »
  Out with the engine today. It was leaking like the Exxon Valdez  :P. Rear main, pan gasket below the timing cover. Building character I guess, did I really need this?

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2013, 08:26:40 PM »
I understand.  I tried water, i tried holding water, recirculating water, etc. Then i had to replace my block (good story there...), and this block has never seen a freeze plug, water, or anything like that.  matter of fact, my heads on the car now are solid, with no water ports in them.  It's cool after 20-30 minutes.  With water it took forever to cool.
With the coolant setup I have the block is cool almost quicker than I can do pit maintenance for a turn around when it works. I will hate to give that up.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2013, 08:55:58 PM »
How do you cool the trans between rounds?  I have a blower that i bungee on the center section and it blows air around the converter and the outer case of the glide. 
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2013, 09:03:05 PM »
How do you cool the trans between rounds?  I have a blower that i bungee on the center section and it blows air around the converter and the outer case of the glide.

My coolant lines for the transmission are steel and run all the way to the front where there is a large fined cooler. Transmission heat has been a small problem but never hotter than 200 by temp gun.

I do not make anywhere near the HP you make and ET's are much slower.
Glenn R. Lever

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2013, 06:11:06 AM »
I might be shown to be wrong(heard it happened before) but Im going to run my combo dry and use fuel system to cool it down on return road. If it becomes issue I have oil  system so I can change it out in cpl minutes max. Besides with solid block and billet heads theres not really a water option.

Im going to have trans cooler setup.Ive seen few feds with them in cockpit.IMO thats just not cool(literaly).I will have mine in front of motor and have fan on it. I hate idea of extra weight but guess it a have to do thing. Would love one of the pump deals that pumps trnas fluid thru cooler while in pits but at price of 800 to 900 bucks its just not happening right now.

I had idea for circulating coolant thru tubes build into oil pan ,but figured condensation would be a problem. Moving alcohol makes heck of coolant as evideance by ice on hat of 200 degree engine.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
« Reply #186 on: May 08, 2013, 08:34:34 AM »
Build one. I'm going to.  24 quart or so ice chest, sweat some 1/2 copper pipe coils in the cooler, fill with ice. Use a HOlley fuel pump to move fluid.  200$ tops.  I'm collecting parts.

The expensive part is the drybrake QD fittings. :)
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 08, 2013, 11:59:40 AM »
Main thing done today was to make more room to work on the car. Built some shelves and rearranged parts all day. Made run to scrap yard to get rid of some stuff,what happens I saee a 8 foot stainless steel benchtop with builtin sink.So now have to work a new workbench/parts washer into shop.Plus the A-frame engine hoist out of old shop. Some people never learn when enough stuff is enough.

I did get some old pistons cleanedup and massaged some so they would work in backup motor last night after cpl hours of parts swapping to see if i could change some crank/rod/piston combos around and maybe work with gaskets to get more compression into motor.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Cajuninjector

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50@176
  • Your Engine: SBC 406 Alky Stacked Hilborn
  • Your Track: SWJFA
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED-Wizard Race Cars
« Reply #188 on: May 08, 2013, 08:08:19 PM »
We fired up and made sure everything was cool since we swapped converters. Loading up tomorrow and heading to Ardmore Dragway to race Saturday. Weather looks like it will be good. Hope the combo likes a high stall. If not, it'll be a long ride home. Gunna bring the old converter just in case.
Go Hard or Go Home

Offline gregm784

• View Profile
    • Means Racing
« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »
Connected new oil lines.  Primed the oil system and checked the output pressure of my Titan oil pump.  Going to wire in the replacement shift light tomorrow, the button up things for testing this weekend. 
Greg
El Dorado County, CA
www.meansracing.com

Offline AF150

• The Devil is in the Details
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.37 1/4 mile
  • Your Engine: Early Hemi, 365", Blown Alky
  • Your Track: Tulsa Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: 200" FED
« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2013, 09:05:50 AM »
Gonna button everything up today and head for Ardmore tomorrow as well. Looking for
sunshine and 75° for a major spring nostalgia race.
MB

Offline Frontenginedragsters

• View Profile
    • Pro-Formance Specialties
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2013, 06:15:24 PM »
 Worked on my car tonight for the first time this year.
I have to re-work the wheelie bar. I made it years ago and it was never right. Car always went any way it wanted when it touched the wheel to the ground.
Since then I'v learned a little more. I read Roo-Mans section on it and decided to start over. I know Glenn will want me to post pictures but that might take awhile.
I need to re-assemble the engine and try a different 1st gear ratio and take some weight off the clutch.
We need to get back out to the track and try to beat up on Glenn ;D

Matt
Driving a Front Engine Dragster builds character and keeps you awake for a 1/4 mile at a time.
http://www.pro-formancespecialties.com/

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2013, 08:44:31 PM »
Worked on my car tonight for the first time this year.
I have to re-work the wheelie bar. I made it years ago and it was never right. Car always went any way it wanted when it touched the wheel to the ground.
Since then I'v learned a little more. I read Roo-Mans section on it and decided to start over. I know Glenn will want me to post pictures but that might take awhile.
I need to re-assemble the engine and try a different 1st gear ratio and take some weight off the clutch.
We need to get back out to the track and try to beat up on Glenn ;D

Matt

This is really good to hear!

You were always faster than me, I do not remember your times.

You are most likely still faster than me as I will be running 8.500 or tiring to tune to that all season.

Take some pictures and bring the camera in with the cord and give me a call. I will come down and e-mail them to myself and post them up for you.

I was also in my trailer today, Steve was over. I got the head off, sealed the coolant leak up, head back on, valves set, and the NEW BLOWER on.

Looks like rain tomorrow, I think club racing will be rained out, and my swap meet is Saturday morning rain or shine, Saturday afternoon may be OK to see if it runs and does not leak. If it does Matt might finally get his wish and see the radiator, pump etc go away.,
Glenn R. Lever

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 10, 2013, 04:46:23 PM »
Hopefully by the time today is over she will have finished fuel tank. Just finished welding the vent tubes in and the  trap door to help control fuel on deceleration. adding rear panel and supplu tube tonight and finishing the welding and testing for leaks. Got to add cpl return ports  also.

Offline buickfed

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2013, 06:09:10 PM »
I got all my brakes parts (aerospace components) finally and installed them today and burned the pads in. just for thought, I check the head exhaust ports for temperature. the side with the zoomie on it had even temps across the head. the header side, the middle two were 100* more and the ends were 50* more. the heads all around were pretty close. just at the exhaust ports that were different. strange.