Author Topic: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?  (Read 813776 times)

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
Re: What did you do on your Front Engine Dragster TODAY?
« Reply #900 on: July 08, 2015, 02:56:17 PM »
congrats!!!!!!
way to go!!!
You have come a long way--
Priming with gas is fine unless engine backfires or you have blades open when cranking then it will catch the stream on fire and the bottle etc
way better to prime with alky
keep blades closed and foot off the pedal when starting--hard to learn at first

First runs
keep that wheelie bar close to the ground
maybe shift early so you don't "forget" to shift ( easy to do first run)
Sit in the car with all of your gear on and go through every step again and again and again
Pretend to do burnout, stage, run, shift, brake ( easy) etc

Don't be surprised if burnout is hard to do--these cars try and hook almost in the water--there is no John Force burnout in these unless you have a blower--just dry em off real hard real quick and go to the line--be prepared at burnout for that thing to hook hard and take a jump at the mop man--Be CAREFUL with that first burn out--it is the hardest part --after you learn where to get in the water/dampness with rear wheel it gets easier but always be prepared for it to hook Hard and  take a crazy jump--brakes work --steering it does not help in that instant---with time the burnout gets easier and easier but be very very careful with those first few. You sort of have to "hammer' it--you can't wimp around with it but then you have to be 100% ready for it to grab HARD--you really have to learn to get all this right or it will destroy your torque converter as tires grab dry pavement.

Hayden is 100% correct in that your eyes and brain have to do a run a few times to "update the software" and get used to everything--after 3-4 runs it gets lots easier to see and feel like you have a chance of controling it--first couple of runs you will have to admit to yourself that you were just along for the ride and could do little if there is trouble--but--gets better with every run--after 3-4 trips to the track you will be much more confident and safe

Good luck

This is a good write up Dave!

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #901 on: July 09, 2015, 08:51:35 AM »
Man Dave had me worried at first. Then I read the hammer it part. Heck never thought there was another way.But what you expect from guy with SN wideopen. Does cause me more concern over tires I have on car right now. They are more door car tires and have been told they have tendency to hook hard at end of burn out.

On upside I di get some work done on car past week, Will post pics later.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline gasserx

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 - 9.08
  • Your Track: Gardermoen Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 180" FED
« Reply #902 on: July 14, 2015, 01:24:36 AM »
A great weekend is over! We learned A LOT...and spent most of saturday wrenching on the car! But all in all we are all very happy  8)
I got my license upgraded, and i got the chance to test the car for a few runs. That was more than i hoped for.

Here is my first test run on sunday (burnout went good, but my daughter didnt catch it in this video):

Offline jimc

• Southern Slingshots Northern Race Coordinator
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.93
  • Your Engine: 383 Tom Martino
  • Your Track: Englishtown, Atco
  • Your Vehicle: '70 Ed Mabry 186"
« Reply #903 on: July 15, 2015, 11:47:23 AM »
Great to hear motor running. Boy I miss that one!
Good luck you will enjoy these things

Jim

Offline grapro

• View Profile
  • Your Track: edmonton
  • Your Vehicle: 184" FED
« Reply #904 on: August 03, 2015, 07:13:34 AM »
Family Day weeekend here in Alberta Canada, Had the Nhra Division 6 Lucas Nationals at Medicine Hat. Car was having problems running with the transbrake, didn't want to release quickly, going to have to figure that one out later .Ended up foot pedaling it off the line best time was a 9.44 at 138.59 only have 10 runs on the car and it kept going faster and faster, had to sandbag the last run car just was running crazy still broke out at the end. Good fun time was had by all.

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #905 on: August 21, 2015, 12:29:10 PM »
Wiped out the trans last weekend at the Dover race . I took 6 degrees of timing and lowered the shift 600 rpm to try and slow it down for the HRR at Epping next week ran 3 7.35's in a row and a 7.39 in the final round breaking the trans . I am going to retard the cam a couple of degrees to take some power out of it and fix the trans . See you guy's at Epping

Offline FEDNV

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.65 @ 175mph - 1/4
  • Your Engine: 560 BBC
  • Your Track: Sacramento
  • Your Vehicle: 185" FED
« Reply #906 on: August 24, 2015, 06:28:29 AM »
Finally got my motor parts back and did the build this weekend.  Topped it off with my daughter putting the finishing touches on it.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #907 on: September 05, 2015, 08:22:45 PM »
Finally got my motor parts back and did the build this weekend.  Topped it off with my daughter putting the finishing touches on it.

Your daughter steals the picture.
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline ricardo1967

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: No full pass yet.
  • Your Engine: Alky SBC 400
  • Your Track: Brown County Dragway (Bean Blossom, IN)
  • Your Vehicle: 173" FED
« Reply #908 on: September 05, 2015, 09:59:36 PM »

Your daughter steals the picture.

She's indeed a cutie and that engine ornament is worth 129 hp on a 560 BBC.

Offline grapro

• View Profile
  • Your Track: edmonton
  • Your Vehicle: 184" FED
« Reply #909 on: October 04, 2015, 05:38:12 PM »
Season is over for us here in Alberta Canada,  Go off to a slow start but ended up hitting a different race every weekend. First year running ended up getting a total of 53 passes in. best time of my life. Best et was only a 9.39 with 140.39 but it was my first kick at the cat. Changing up the motor to a sbc 302 z setup  and want to try with it, redline should be in the high 9's motor was a super gas engine out of my buddies race car hopefully it will speed things up a bit if not I will refresh my 355 and go for a gear change. This site was a lot of help into getting me going. Just like to thank everyone for all the information and posts.

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #910 on: October 04, 2015, 06:38:19 PM »
53 Runs is Great!!
We have been rained out last three races so this coming wk end we hope to get back at it--then we have 4 more races
Way to go!  Keep us posted on engine details--always fun to see what others are doing and what combo runs what speed.
Congrats!!
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #911 on: October 05, 2015, 07:04:09 AM »
Great shop weekend here.Raining its butt off out so working on car was only option.Got to love it when that happens.I spent 2  14 hour days working on variuos projects and even got a few to the FINISHED stage and corrected a few I was not happy with.

I got the bottomend built and heads are almost ready to bolt on,only 3 weeks behind here.Hopefully finish oil pan mods for starter mounting today.Then its heads and intake on and back into chassis for final plumbing.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #912 on: October 05, 2015, 01:09:37 PM »
Great shop weekend here.Raining its butt off out so working on car was only option.Got to love it when that happens.I spent 2  14 hour days working on variuos projects and even got a few to the FINISHED stage and corrected a few I was not happy with.

I got the bottomend built and heads are almost ready to bolt on,only 3 weeks behind here.Hopefully finish oil pan mods for starter mounting today.Then its heads and intake on and back into chassis for final plumbing.
     Keep up the good work !

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #913 on: October 10, 2015, 08:44:22 PM »

How about some pictures?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline probird

• View Profile
  • Your Track: alberta
« Reply #914 on: November 15, 2015, 09:09:40 AM »
I'll start putting progress here.
Yesterday I cut the mounts off of the rear end. There needs to be 4 bolt holes on each side. Only had 2 holes and they used 2 thin plates stitched together per side! maybe that's all they had? I have the diff all cleaned up.
Going to cut the uprights out as there bent. I ordered the same 1x2's from N&P. Should be an easy exchange.
Time to trim them out. Sneak up on it slowly to keep away from the upper and lower tubes

Barry.