Author Topic: New guy, from Iceland but living in Norway.  (Read 11554 times)

Offline PalliP

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Iceland
  • Your Vehicle: Jeep CJ5
New guy, from Iceland but living in Norway.
« on: July 18, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »
Hi there guys.
I have been waching here for a while and reading through your knowledge and it has helped with ideas.  I have tried dragracing With only the rallycross cars I have been competing through the years.  I have also been in formulaoffroad and I have built my rigs self, and had them working my self.  Now I am going to build me a slingshot and try the fun what you guys subscribe on my one  :)
I have built me a jig, 330 cm long to build the Cage and front of the motor.
I am going to use sbc 350 and th350 auto and a 9" ford.
1.I ordered some blueprints from Mark Williams to see how the proffs build it, are they ok to follow?
2.The drawings show a rail With no suspension front, whats Your appenion on that?
3.I want it shorter, thinkin about 160" is the suspension critical for a shorter car?
4.With that setup, would you have the motor more front and put in a driveshaft?  I am nearly 2 meters long ;) so my legs are allways in the way.
I´ll out in a photo of the jigg, as you can see it is on wheels, Iam planning to work on it home and at my work, so it is easier to move it.
Hoping to learn more from you guys, thanks alot for a good page :)
With regards.
Palli P
Norway.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Re: New guy, from Iceland but living in Norway.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 08:44:14 PM »
Hi there guys.
I have been waching here for a while and reading through your knowledge and it has helped with ideas.  I have tried dragracing With only the rallycross cars I have been competing through the years.  I have also been in formulaoffroad and I have built my rigs self, and had them working my self.  Now I am going to build me a slingshot and try the fun what you guys subscribe on my one  :)
I have built me a jig, 330 cm long to build the Cage and front of the motor.
I am going to use sbc 350 and th350 auto and a 9" ford.
1.I ordered some blueprints from Mark Williams to see how the proffs build it, are they ok to follow?
2.The drawings show a rail With no suspension front, whats Your appenion on that?
3.I want it shorter, thinkin about 160" is the suspension critical for a shorter car?
4.With that setup, would you have the motor more front and put in a driveshaft?  I am nearly 2 meters long ;) so my legs are allways in the way.
I´ll out in a photo of the jigg, as you can see it is on wheels, Iam planning to work on it home and at my work, so it is easier to move it.
Hoping to learn more from you guys, thanks alot for a good page :)
With regards.
Palli P
Norway.

Welcome.

You might want to post these questions in Roo Man's room, he builds chassis for a living

http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php?board=25.0
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:10:03 AM »
Palli P – Mark Williams Enterprises located near me.  His company been around long time, makes many competitive racing products.  I’ve bought a few of their products over the years, always pleased with them (Travis there helped me solve one or two issues along the way).  Always good idea for plan before you start, that way you know up front what you’re getting into….. maybe.   I’m sure you’re like rest of us, will modify and modify to your liking.  On a few items, it seems the modifications never end.  I’m guessing you already know about constantly modifying/ improving from your rallycross racing.  For a 160 wb, I think you could not run a front suspension and you’d be fine.  I’m guessing 2 years after running, you might “wonder what 180 wb be like”  another mod……   Any particular reason you selected th350 trans ?   And mobile jigg, very cool for show and tell.

If you enjoy building the dragster, racing it, and (for me) the other racers in your group, this will be a life long habit.  I’m building my 4th dragster now (with lots of excellent help), you keep learning and seems you keep wanting to improve and go faster each year.  Here you need a competition license after a certain et-speed, I’m not sure how it works in Norway ?  I got my license last year, into the 8s and yes, still wanting to go a little faster.  I think you are same way, obvious as you are “building a dragster”    Welcome too.  DF       

Offline Foot Feed

• View Profile
  • Your Track: ARP
  • Your Vehicle: scrounging parts
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 08:59:21 AM »
Welcome!

Offline PalliP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 07:57:44 AM »
Thanks guys for a varm velcome
 I got the TH 350 from a friend and had a 3500 rpm stall converter, so it is ok to try it.  And hopefully a powerglide will come my way in the near future.
I have done some experiments with turbo in my Jeep and I will use it in this project, (it doesnt have the same wintage look in a slingshot) but I have every thing and it runs ok.
Hoping to start bending tubes in sept.

Regards.
Palli P

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 05:32:23 PM »
Thought it might be related to availability of parts.  I think th350 trans gears are 2.52, 1.52 and 1.1 which might help you afterall.  Spud wrote comment he wished he had a 1.60 low gear vs. his 1.69.  Depending on what you have for your 9 inch gear ratio, you could use th350 to your advantage.  I think the 2.52 to 1.52 is bit wide, but 1.52 to 1.1 looks good on paper….  I say try it.   Figuring out your starting line ratio, your hp/torque, total weight and tire size also play role in your decisions, with limited selection of parts, your puzzle waaay more difficult.  DF

p.s.  "beauty is in eye of the beholder"     

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Kjula Raceway
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 03:26:03 AM »
Welcome PalliP:)

Nice to get more Scandinavian people on here:)
I might be able to help out on some issues, so please contact me.
Both regarding the tubes, and rules for running vintage/nostalgia racing over here.
Where are you located in Norway?

Br
Kjell

Offline PalliP

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 02:38:23 PM »
Welcome PalliP:)

Nice to get more Scandinavian people on here:)
I might be able to help out on some issues, so please contact me.
Both regarding the tubes, and rules for running vintage/nostalgia racing over here.
Where are you located in Norway?

Br
Kjell

I am located in the Drammen area.  I will send you pm for the rest.
Thanks.

Offline Sidewinder

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Kjula Raceway
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
Hello Palli:)

My very good friend has just moved to Drammen, he runs an Altered:)

K

Offline PalliP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 09:40:31 AM »
Thought it might be related to availability of parts.  I think th350 trans gears are 2.52, 1.52 and 1.1 which might help you afterall.  Spud wrote comment he wished he had a 1.60 low gear vs. his 1.69.  Depending on what you have for your 9 inch gear ratio, you could use th350 to your advantage.  I think the 2.52 to 1.52 is bit wide, but 1.52 to 1.1 looks good on paper….  I say try it.   Figuring out your starting line ratio, your hp/torque, total weight and tire size also play role in your decisions, with limited selection of parts, your puzzle waaay more difficult.  DF

I think it will work ok, the question is then if it holds. You are right about the gearing.  It is wide open With the 9", I will buy a gear ratio that will work With the rest.  How do you guys figure out tire size, is it guesswork or do you use some math to figure that one out.
Regards
Palli

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »

I think it will work ok, the question is then if it holds. You are right about the gearing.  It is wide open With the 9", I will buy a gear ratio that will work With the rest.  How do you guys figure out tire size, is it guesswork or do you use some math to figure that one out.
Regards
Palli

Lots of calculators here

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/