Author Topic: How do i get my chassis certified  (Read 7279 times)

Offline ricci32

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: sbc ,gas, 358cid
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: Vintage style FED
How do i get my chassis certified
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:44:02 PM »
Im finishing up the body on my fed and getting ready for tear down and final assembly while its apart i would like to get the chassis certified for 7.50 . Im located 90 miles north of ny city and dont really know how the process works. Can i make an appointment with a inspector or is there a chassis cert day this time of the year. Thanks Larry

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
Re: How do i get my chassis certified
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 03:35:00 PM »
Larry,Many tracks arrange chassis inspections ahead of the season's start. My home track (Havana Illinois) had one in March. You could call the NHRA division office and find out where the chassis inspectors are located and contact information.

Have you used an SFI spec guide in your build? If you haven't , you might be wasting a $$ trip. The inspector will charge mileage and the inspection fee. My first chassis cert cost $ 260.  second was $ 150.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:10:41 PM by George »

Offline ricci32

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: sbc ,gas, 358cid
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley
  • Your Vehicle: Vintage style FED
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 03:56:32 PM »
Thanks George the chassis was not homebuilt but was built out of my state and I fininshed it up it was built to sfi spec. so looking to have it inspected here in ny.  I will check with nhra division.

Offline George

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 1964 Mercury Comet Super Stock/ M automatic
  • General Location: Midwest USA
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 05:08:44 PM »
Mine was built in CA ,brought to MO,where I bought it. Brought back home with an expired sticker in it , only to find out it wouldn't have passed in 2000. Funny thing about it was the sticker was a 2003. It was a lot of work to bring it up to SFI spec. All is good now with a 6.00 cert.

Good luck with yours.

Offline LZ

• View Profile
  • Your Engine: In progress
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2010 225" S&W
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 08:18:16 PM »
Larry:
If I remember right you are in Eastern NY??!!.
Heres a link to the NHRA inspectors. I assume you are running LVD?

http://www.nhradiv1.com/content/divtech.asp?articleid=407&zoneid=24

What little help I can give is to seek out when there is a group deal going on. Like say he is going to be at some fab shop, or a drag strip. This saves you the trip fee. Usually these happen in Spring but worth a search.
I dont know if your local strip has a message board so the next best thing is the dreaded FB. I am not that crazy about it but there is a lot of drag race talk going on and keeps me in it.
If you call him up he can also tell you if he is going to be somewhere so you can meet him. Are you far from that Campbell guy in Rome?
FWIW good luck
Luke
"I am not a number.... I am a free man."

Offline masracingtd1167

• bill masiello Shelton Ct.
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.40's at 181 on motor 6.94 at 192 nitrous
  • Your Engine: 394 chevy
  • Your Track: Lebanon Valley Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: 2003 Neil and Parks
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 08:34:38 AM »
Ricci You can get it done at any one of the divisional races . There is one at Epping next weekend . Also one at Englishtown and Atco . You don't have to be a competitor to get it done . Just call the division 1 office and they will let you know what day to bring it .