Author Topic: Anyone got any ideas for a simple chassis jig for a one time build? 150" WB.  (Read 16293 times)

Offline Foot Feed

• View Profile
  • Your Track: ARP
  • Your Vehicle: scrounging parts
I mulling over the design for my jig. I'm thinking of making it bolt together for ease of adjustment during the chassis build and storage later.

I've got some 3" square tube for the crosspieces, but I'm trying to figure out if I should use an I beam, channel welded back to back, or square (rectangle) tube for the main beam of the fixture.

Any pictures of your jig would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

Ken

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
I mulling over the design for my jig. I'm thinking of making it bolt together for ease of adjustment during the chassis build and storage later.

I've got some 3" square tube for the crosspieces, but I'm trying to figure out if I should use an I beam, channel welded back to back, or square (rectangle) tube for the main beam of the fixture.

Any pictures of your jig would be appreciated too.

Thanks!

Ken

This is Roo Man's

This is Cen_Pen Singshot Dragsters
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
Ken I would use an I-beam just a few feet longer than your build.

I am selling a 160" CEN-PENN chassis let me know if you are interested. May save you some time on your build. The pipe is just tacked so it is in its beginning stages, easy to change to your ideas.

John

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
 I used some channel I had bent up from piece of scrap 1/8 steel I picked up and salvage yard.If I had it to do ove I would have just bought 2 piece of 6" I beam and mafe a permant jig.I am very limited on space so I made it so I could tear it down easy enough.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Dolmetsch

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: dont bother with times anyome (last 4 years) just
  • Your Engine: 225 slant six Dodge . 246 cubes on 94 octane
  • Your Track: Picton Airfield
  • Your Vehicle: The Senior Dragster
I built both my rails and an altered on a wooden jig made from 2 x10s and2x4s.I took a lot of flak over it but have no idea why. It is either straight or it isnt. Worked well. I could clip the tubing in with HD rubber bands and fit all the parts  and then cut it free when done.   Have lent it out twice to others and gave it to a fellow north of here as I had mistakenly thought I had done my last build.
Don
SR Dragster, because old people need to have fun too!

Offline Foot Feed

• View Profile
Glenn, I copied both of those pictures to my computer, both are kinda more  in depth than I wanted to do. I'm big on ideas, and small on shop space.  :D That's why I'm kinda leaning toward something I can break down later without much hassle. A different picture of rooman's gave me the inspiration for building a tear down fixture instead of welded. Noticed his use of washers to level a lower rail in the jig. Figure truing up a bolted  jig was possible using the same idea.

John, I won one of the CENPEN $2K prizes toward a chassis in the last contest. After a lot of thought, I passed on it. The biggest reason, I want the experience of building my own. I appreciate the offer though.

Ken

Offline Foot Feed

• View Profile
I built both my rails and an altered on a wooden jig made from 2 x10s and2x4s.I took a lot of flak over it but have no idea why. It is either straight or it isnt. Worked well. I could clip the tubing in with HD rubber bands and fit all the parts  and then cut it free when done.   Have lent it out twice to others and gave it to a fellow north of here as I had mistakenly thought I had done my last build.
Don

The Mark William's website has pictures using TJI engineered wood I joists for a jig.  ;)

Don, I'd add that you've inspired me to build my own having seen your posts here and on the HAMB. Your builds remind me of the way it was done before everything was available for purchase from a catalog.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:25:13 PM by Foot Feed »

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
this is mine .  1/2 plate , 24" wide 18ft long .... has 6" c channel under it to keep it flat .....i built mine for a 1 time use i have stuff welded to the table to hold the tubing that ill later remove . but if i was doing a production run it would be alittle different . but for me it works great

Offline tylercrawford

• View Profile
I did the same as 225 . . . didn't make a jig, just used a table and tacked angle pieces as needed to clamp to.

Mine is 137" WB

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
I did the same as 225 . . . didn't make a jig, just used a table and tacked angle pieces as needed to clamp to.

Mine is 137" WB

225 is a monster, 1/2 in plate, 6 inch angle
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Foot Feed

• View Profile

Mine is 137" WB

225 is a monster, 1/2 in plate, 6 inch angle

No kidding, huh?

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
in the shop i also have 2  24"x10'  1/2 tables . they are relaly nice when doing alot of fixture stuff , i also wanted them heavy so i could drill and tap them if needed . .....   they also really dont cost that much money to build