Author Topic: Advice on a 1971 FED Frame  (Read 1190 times)

Offline JimmyD1333

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: none
  • Your Engine: 350 SBC
  • Your Track: Tulsa Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: 1971 FED
  • General Location: Tulsa, OK, Central US
Advice on a 1971 FED Frame
« on: December 23, 2023, 08:19:00 PM »
So just recently bought my uncle's 1971 FED. Long story short last it ever went down a track was about 2008-2009, he took it to a local Chassis Cert here in Tulsa, and to bring the chassis up to NHRA/SFI Cert for a 7.50 Index it needed I believe some extra bracing and then also the car had developed a crack on the left side motor mount. I'm fairly young, I'm 26 trying to get started in the world of Nostalgia FED Racing. So what I'm looking for advice for is is this chassis even worth the effort or should I just have someone build a new one that is already new and updated. Is the crack even repairable and if so is it more of a safety hazard after that? What is safer and more cost-efficient etc. Really ANY advice is greatly appreciated, like I said I'm young, I know some things, I do not know everything so anything goes a long for me. Thank you.

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
Re: Advice on a 1971 FED Frame
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2023, 03:02:07 PM »
JimmyD1333 - First things first, you need to know I like old race stuff, I like to look at old race stuff, and I like to see old race stuff preserved.  Your question to save this chassis or build new, and then; what would be safer and more cost-efficient?  Racing is dangerous, events can happen to an old restored vehicle just as easily with a new modern vehicle.     

Your Uncle taking his fed to a nhra chassis cert is the first advice probably all of us here would have recommended.  The question is did your Uncle do this back in 2008-2009 or recently.  If it was done recently, very good.  Now you know what it needs to cert to 7.50et.  Adding the extra bracing and repairing the crack (?) by the motor mount if done properly will assure the chassis passes nhra cert.  Obviously this would be the most cost-efficient route, as this chassis already has run and all the part are there and fit together for a complete running vehicle.  Properly replacing any failed tubing and adding bracing to a racing chassis is not that difficult for a competent shop. 

To build a new chassis and all that encompasses will take more time and money.  I'm guessing $10 to $20 thousand dollars depending on your parts selection and how much of the work you do yourself.

I think the NHRA Hot Rod Heritage Series did run at Tulsa.  I'm not sure they still run there, but is the NHRA Heritage Series Group 2 what you are interested in running?  You will have to do a lot of traveling to run that Nostaglia group.  If you are racing with a local group at Tulsa, that is a good way to start and have fun.  Also, you do not need to go 7.50et starting; running 9s at 150 in the quarter is plenty fun in a fed.  Alan

p.s. Merry Christmas to all!

Offline JimmyD1333

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: none
  • Your Engine: 350 SBC
  • Your Track: Tulsa Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: 1971 FED
  • General Location: Tulsa, OK, Central US
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2023, 09:29:16 PM »
The chassis cert he went to was way back in 2010, I assume the revisions and such stay the same or if not at least close to what they were but I could be very wrong by today's standards.

I'm with you on keeping stuff as preserved and original as possible, I also want it original as much as possible for sentimental reasons as well.

I haven't looked too much into the NHRA Heritage Series stuff quite yet, now down the road I absolutely would want to be a part of something like that. The car itself is only a N/A SBC 350, The last time it was driven it was running around the 8.50-9.50 area that's about all I expect out of the current setup with it and I think just as a starter type deal it'll be the best road.

So I mean with that do you think taking it to the next scheduled chassis cert day in it's current state is a good course of action?

Offline JEFF/21C

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: N/A
  • Your Engine: 306 SBC INJECTED ALKY
  • Your Track: NONE
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T ALTERED
  • General Location: eastern canada
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2023, 05:43:56 AM »
Everything is repairable  just have it done right! contact your local track inspector/nhra inspector  most will guide you through the process.
MERRY CHRISTMAS![/i][/size]

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 10:39:28 AM »
Since you are expecting to run faster than 9.99 seconds and/or over 135mph, yes, you should take it to the next nhra chassis cert day at your local track.  Remove the seat and body panels so the nhra inspector can easily see the driver's compartment area.  The inspection will focus on the roll cage and driver's area to determine if it meets current specs, and includes inspecting the welds.  The inspector will also do a sonic test to determine the thickness of the metal tubing to assure it meets current specs.  An nhra chassis cert is required every 3 years. 

With this information, you will be better able to make decisions on how to proceed.  If you are not familiar with race fabrication shops in your area, you could also ask the nhra inspector for any shop recommendations.  Take it to a few shops to gather some repair estimates for comparison.