Author Topic: Ideas on travel limiter for slipjoint  (Read 6507 times)

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
Ideas on travel limiter for slipjoint
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:32:12 AM »
 Looking for pics or ideas on limiting the travel for slip joints in my chassis. I have two one in front of motor and one abour 3' behind front axle.When jacking car at motor it archs 4" and has 1/2 at motor and about 3/4" at front end(probably not going to use much. I added battery and weight to equal run weight.

Looking to build best mouse trap(always).Any pics or ideas on limiters would be welcomed.Always searching for ideas,I might not use them but like to see them and work from there.

Thanks Guys
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
Re: Ideas on travel limiter for slipjoint
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 04:36:22 AM »
I don't have any photos readily available but I usually make a couple of heavy wall bushes and weld them to each half--I have used 3/8" bolts but 5/16" will work too. I have seen others use the three sided brackets that are normally used for mid plate/motor mounts but they are only .125" thick and can bend if the car hits really hard at the launch. I will try to find some photos to post.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:29:02 AM »
Thanks Roo man Ive seen ones your talking about so don't have to worry about pics.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »
how critical is a slip joint ?  im doing the back half right now on mine .... im building it with a 225" wb and motor is out 50" 

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »
Can not say its critical but its another tuning area IMO.  I will say that slipping the top works but I think the change in distance from steering box and front and might cause isssue with wheels having slight turn if you pulled frontend hard. Doubt it would be huge but it still might have effect when setting car down before front chassis settled back down totaly.

I also have the uprights slip jointed and it seems better deal. I can lock any or all slips with 2  9/16 wrenchs. Takes about 1 minute to do them all.

My plans are to get baseline with everything rigid then try or slip setup at a time to see changes,after trying  all by them selves i will do combinations together. Have to have baseline first. xxxx got to finish car first.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 03:46:02 PM »
As boring as they are i went with the sleeves and bolts for limiters.