Author Topic: Still Haven't Raced At Our "Home" Track  (Read 1466 times)

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
Still Haven't Raced At Our "Home" Track
« on: September 19, 2023, 07:13:11 PM »
After quite a few test sessions at what was to be our "home track" we were finally ready to race my FED. But, lightening really fried the timing system for the 2nd time this year and racing was off for several weeks. So, we bit the bullet and towed 2+ hours, instead of less than 1 hour, to race at another nearby track. We actually really like the place but the extra hour of travel is kinda hard on Sunday morning plans when it goes really late.

So, this weekend our "home" track is finally going to be back in operation, but no regular bracket program, it's a YouTube poster special 2-day event? Huh? A What?

But we're anxious to race so I guess it's another 4+ hour round trip. In reality, I think I'd lean toward wanting to run at the track further from home....it's quite well arranged and the people are really friendly.

Lynn

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
Re: Still Haven't Raced At Our "Home" Track
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 11:50:13 AM »
Whenever there are thunderstorms in our area the track shuts the place down, even if it is not raining. I read somewhere lightning can strike anywhere in a 20 mile radius. I hope you get lots of chances to run this fall.

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 06:56:09 PM »
I happened to be in the tower one evening talking to the lady who manages our "home" track when someone on one of the radios reported seeing a bolt of lightening in the distance. The manager turned FULL attention of everyone with a two-way radio to be on the lookout for lightening, and phones were fired up to weather sites that showed locations of lightening strikes. She said if there was a hit even 10 miles away she'd shut down the timing system. It actually got zapped 2 times this year and cost a LOT of $$

Lynn

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2023, 03:02:23 PM »
Word of caution. Running at home track seems to be my jinx right now. A track I tuned the first 3seond run at, Had track record of almost 9 years, Now every time I pull into the track something new decides to break.,
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2023, 08:44:58 PM »
Ran for the 3rd time at the track further away. Got beat in the 3rd round on what was just an all-round bad run for us.....reaction time off of the more normal reaction for the driver, kind of a "soft" leave so a bad 60' time, and the engine temp was higher than normal at staging. Oh well....after 3 nights of racing we are at 6 wins, 3 losses and 1 breakout. Not too bad in my mind for a "new" car and a couple noobies. Having fun?....Oh Yeah!

The way the combined schedules are for the driver and me, and the programs coming up at the "home" track, we may not even run there this year. Other than the extra 1+ hour tow each way, I've come to prefer the track we've been running. People are really friendly and helpful and the layout of the track is nice.

Next time out will be 2 weeks from now.

Lynn

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2023, 04:14:52 PM »
We finally got to race at our "home" track for 3 weeks after a change in management/lessee. I liked the previous manager just fine, but have to think the new people will do a better job of running and promoting the track.

Saturday was our final race and after a 1st round loss, a buy-back and a second round loss our season is over. Since other tracks are closed and the last race was only Super Pro (Box) and Pro (no box) and there were a LOT of them, we had to run against cars with transbrake and 2-steps even though my car is no-frills and footbrake. We had a great time and although it will be nice to have some Saturday flexibility I look forward to Spring and the '24 season.

We did have a 3rd place finish the 2nd last night of racing, so at least we didn't get skunked.

Car is running good, engine seems solid too, so it's just time to put it into hibernation mode.

Lynn

Offline JEFF/21C

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: N/A
  • Your Engine: 306 SBC INJECTED ALKY
  • Your Track: NONE
  • Your Vehicle: 23 T ALTERED
  • General Location: eastern canada
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2023, 07:33:34 AM »
THAT IS THE IDEA. HAVING A GREAT TIME!!! we ran mostly door cars with electronics  the fed had foot brake but had a roll control on the shifter(LINE LOC) it was easier moving a finger than a foot.

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2023, 11:04:49 AM »
Hmmmm.....LineLoc on the shifter. Interesting thought. Thanks.

Lynn

Offline THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.28@168 door; 9.00@147 6-cyl alt; 8.53@160 RED
  • Your Engine: 300 Ford six NA w/ crossflow and prod. heads
  • Your Track: Milan, Thompson
  • Your Vehicle: (3) Advanced Chassis altered , The Last Logghe altered, '30 RPU
  • General Location: North Coast
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2023, 06:35:16 AM »
...or maybe even a tunable brake light switch attached to the brake handle itself for the line loc (if you are not using a trans brake)?
 I have also thought an anti-dieseling solenoid from '70s era cars to set the staging RPM will improve consistency needed to run Super Pro.