Author Topic: Backing up and staging straight.  (Read 1884 times)

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.70 1/8
  • Your Track: Houston Motorsport park
  • Your Vehicle: 225" slip joint FED
  • General Location: Houston
Backing up and staging straight.
« on: June 27, 2023, 09:40:57 AM »
Hey guys!
We been having a bit of an issue backing the car and staging the car straight after the burnout.
The FED is blown and I can’t see the frontend.

Any advice?!

Thanks

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
Re: Backing up and staging straight.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 02:00:01 PM »
I always made it a point to not do the half track show off burn out--I would toast them Stop--then ease back slow with the help of someone that really really knows about being in the right spot on the track--the "groove" is Critical to the entire run--learning exactly where that is--and having a back up person that truly understands exactly where that is is a must--stop short on burn out --back up slow with a seasoned helper--you will still be a minute ahead if not more of the show off--and chances are you will hook and they will not
Most miss the sweet spot by a foot because they don't know what they are shooting for--ask a professional racer to educate you on what to look for at the starting line.
care at that point will reward you more than you can imagine
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 03:04:23 PM »
So.......just what does one look for on the start line to find the sweet spot?

Lynn

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2023, 06:33:06 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, all is appreciated for sure

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 08:15:43 PM »
As a crew chief turn back to the driver I have always been outside to check the track and behind the car directing somebody as to what spot to put car in. Being in the seat is restricting my input to the line and the exact track I want. Aiming the car down the track is probably not as difficult since injected only and the injector has big v down the center. Plus I have a high chair seat position.

In your position In would try something like a bracket racer do with checking alignment with other car before launch to give idea how to drive dwon track. When pulling thru I would try to line car down track shooting an imaginary site thru an injector down the track. Aim it like shooting a bow and arrow instinct(no sights) Heck mount a crosshair on top of the injector and pick a  target down at top end and try to line it up.Ok mounting crosshair kind of joke but get the point across. Now as for perfect straight online, I am thinking that falls to a backup person to align you right when backing you up. As sugested about reading track ask someone who does it to help show whoever you have if any how to do right.

It is critical to be aim straight down track when hitting it hard. Also good for driver to feel confident about it.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline lake_harley

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.06 @99.58 - 1/8 mi.
  • Your Engine: Carbureted, gas mild 305 Chevy
  • Your Track: Jeffers Motorsports Park - Sikeston, MO
  • Your Vehicle: 145" FED
  • General Location: SE Missouri
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2023, 09:51:33 AM »
With my low HP FED I don't think wheelspin will really be any issue, but do you try to get into the same track as previous cars?

Lynn

Offline tcoupekyle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2023, 12:42:29 PM »
So we went out last night. And we ended up lining up crooked and I failed to keep the car in the groove. We’re gonna have to make more laps

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2023, 01:34:12 PM »
As for others line. Depends. No set rule.If car infront of you goes straight as arrow,xxxx then use it. Bare spots or mushy track factor in more than anything else. Some times track is sticky as xxxx but you can mash it with thuimb, sucks. Some times sticky but short distance out. I have run a few track where I have lined the driver up crokked telling him I was doing so because a local I knew told me only way to get down the track.it worked. Like I said no set rule and just a learned thing. Limited info on a FED but it is totally different animal I am told and getting tune for track correct I agree with that statement.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Supercat

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.16 @ 218 1/4
  • Your Track: Bakersfield to Bowling Green to New England dragway
  • Your Vehicle: Buick powered/ 200" Fastech FED
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2023, 08:40:54 AM »
All good information above...
I'll add a very important point I learned while racing in a NTF FED without a wheelie bar:
If your car pulls hard or lifts the wheels as most do at launch you must "NOT" make any last adjustments to your steering in the last 10-15 ft to your alignment as you come to the beams. At the hit the car will generally go the opposite direction due to the twist in the rear tires through the car.
I put the rear backup person with their heels just outside the water box.  They direct my wife were to put me. I stop when the wheelie bar passes through their ankles. Any last minute adjustments are done as I start to roll forward. This give me a good car length of roll to the line to relieve the twist. Our car runs a .93-1.0 =60ft
Good luck and have fun

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2023, 12:51:52 PM »
Man you guys have too easy wqith backup help. Add in that half these DA bracket guys pull threw burn out box while you are still backing up. Guess what these do not have mirrors. 225" wb with 5' bar takes a little room to get back and allow room to pull up and making any move to correct.

If had crew not use to doing I would suggest taking them to watch few that have help. Only watch guys who go straight other probably doing it wrong too.LOL

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2023, 10:08:43 AM »
After a ton,heck 3 tons of stupid crap this year. I did make pass last night at T-N-T .  I will say a fed is totally different animal to back into place than a RED. Unforunately the stupid crap is still there hence one run. Nobody breaks a PTFE #10 oil line. Let's say that at 140 psi it does not take long to make a freaking mess and empty 10 quarts oil. I mean remove drain cap and nothing drips empty.

I can see were having a experienced backup person(a hot chick with big umm eyes and Daisy Dukes preferred) would be good thing.