Technical > Dan Dishon's Transmission Den

Shorty Powerglide Conversion

<< < (3/3)

vuu0ai:

--- Quote from: lake_harley on January 24, 2020, 11:29:43 AM ---I'll have to check into using re-splined axles. I'm considering building a FED that would purposely be pretty low https://balkanpharmaceuticals.to HP.....like 275-300 HP, just to keep from getting things too complicated and expensive. Purpose would be to do some bracket racing. If I see that building one is going to get out of hand, considering what my modest interest is, I'd probably just pull the plug on the project before I start.

Thanks for offering your knowledge.

Lynn

--- End quote ---

interested if you've started your project. i've been thinking about something low-budget myself too.
if you did, please update on how's it going, pretyt interested. thanks

wideopen231:
Not bad mouthing your need to save money. IMO axles is probably the worst place to do so. A set of lo end after market axles is not that much,especially in the big picture. Heck a set of tires for tow truck cost more. Plus the cost of if one breaks no drivier is going to keep it out of wall. I understand building low HP setup and may never want more,although I don;t understand not wanting more power part.  Its just cheap insurance IMO. Then again its not my money or butt in the seat.

dusterdave173:
Stroll through any swap meet with race parts and you will see many of those shafts twisted--I would say it is pretty reasonable to get a "new" mfg shorty kit --that is great quality  Just not a place where I want a failure--Low HP yea OK but who stays with that for long? I would say that is a critical spot on any racer car and i would opt for a correct strong new option--even if you had to save up and wait  I have seen too many of those fail

bikeguy307:
If you are wanting to move your current gears and stuff into a shorty carrier, I have several used shorty 1.76 carriers. Some with an after market shaft welded in and some stock that have been shortened.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version