Author Topic: Coupler Cover Design Ideas - Shorty Glide/Olds Rear  (Read 5702 times)

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Bandimere Mo-Kan
  • Your Vehicle: 1931 Chevy Roadster
Coupler Cover Design Ideas - Shorty Glide/Olds Rear
« on: July 01, 2019, 10:23:01 AM »
I've got a shorty glide coupled to an '59 Olds rearend and I'm in the process of designing a coupler cover.  Since the olds third member doesn't have bolts at the pinion like a 9", I had planned to CNC a steel plate that picks up 3 bolts on the back of the transmission and then have 2 halves of .125" wall steel tubing clamshell off the plate to extend back and cover the nose of the third member.   

I was reviewing the General Regulations before starting and noticed the last part of Section 2.4 states...."All covers must be securely mounted to the frame, suitable crossmember, reverser or third member."  I notice the back of the transmission is not an option and honestly I don't even know what a reverser is.

Before I start building cross members any ideas on design/mounting configurations?

Thank You Roo.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:30:03 AM by Countn Carbs »

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.43 185 mph in a RED
  • Your Track: numidia
Re: Coupler Cover Design Ideas - Shorty Glide/Olds Rear
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 10:43:17 AM »
i made up an adapter that bolts to the back of the transmission....you could make something like this but another 5-6" longer, you would need to put the coupler in the trans before putting them together wouldnt be to hard.

a reverser is whats bolted to the back of a clutch can on a direct drive car to allow it to back up..... bolting to the back of the trans should be acceptable

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 12:07:45 PM »
That's a nice piece 225digger and good idea.  Also thank you for the insight on what a reverser is/does. 
My plan that I mentioned I thought was acceptable but I can't remember where I read or was told this but when I went to the regs to check for material thickness requirements and saw that and I was like hhmmm...now what?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 02:40:20 PM by Countn Carbs »

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 02:58:52 PM »
Built a few of these

Offline Countn Carbs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 03:08:33 PM »
Great work Butch and another nice piece.  Thank you guys and sounds/looks like my original plan of going off the transmission is acceptable??

dreracecar

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 03:09:15 PM »
i made up an adapter that bolts to the back of the transmission....you could make something like this but another 5-6" longer, you would need to put the coupler in the trans before putting them together wouldnt be to hard.

a reverser is whats bolted to the back of a clutch can on a direct drive car to allow it to back up..... bolting to the back of the trans should be acceptable

Although very nice, adding 5-6 more inches would be a lot of material to have to machine away besides that "Nugget" of base material that is expensive if you don't have a source of surplus material handy

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 03:31:57 PM »
Out of the shop today and just saw this. Mounting to the back of the trans is perfectly acceptable as noted in the earlier posts.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »

Although very nice, adding 5-6 more inches would be a lot of material to have to machine away besides that "Nugget" of base material that is expensive if you don't have a source of surplus material handy

about 60.00 ebay drop special. and about 3 hrs of machining... but i agree, for what the OP is doing a flat flange and a welded tube like Roo posted would be a quicker and cheaper alternative.

ebay is a great source for cheap drops if you dont have a source locally

dreracecar

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 05:33:51 PM »
E-Bay is not consistent on material and not always have what you need(for grins I just checked) Being in LosAngeles, lucky to have sooooo many places to buy rem from for $2.50-$3.00 lb

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 07:14:40 PM »
Funyy thing about the material part of this. I tried for two months to find what I need in aluminum tubing.Finally fabricated one rollong .090 sheeting. Week later went to local salvage yard and they ahd stacks of brand new 20' lengths in 4,4.5,6,6.6 and 6 inch diameters. 3/16 and 1/4" thickness. Bought some and thought about buying cpl pieces 20' that would make a slip two piece unit. Probably still have them they only had about 50 of each size.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline 225digger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 08:12:48 PM »
E-Bay is not consistent on material and not always have what you need(for grins I just checked) Being in LosAngeles, lucky to have sooooo many places to buy rem from for $2.50-$3.00 lb

good to know you have so many options in LA.... im in the sticks....kudos to you

dreracecar

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 06:41:00 PM »
If you know what you want, you could always ask me, short pieces are just a post office away

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2019, 09:13:00 AM »
Funyy thing about the material part of this. I tried for two months to find what I need in aluminum tubing.Finally fabricated one rollong .090 sheeting. Week later went to local salvage yard and they ahd stacks of brand new 20' lengths in 4,4.5,6,6.6 and 6 inch diameters. 3/16 and 1/4" thickness. Bought some and thought about buying cpl pieces 20' that would make a slip two piece unit. Probably still have them they only had about 50 of each size.

Got to be a up side to every town including LA.LOL
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot