Technical > Dan Dishon's Transmission Den

trans shield replacement

(1/3) > >>

spookie:
replacing trans shield,do you have to install lower strap? Have a heavy duty after market deep pan. The pan is thicker than lower strap!

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER:
I don't know about your local track but at the DIV III e.t. Finals the tech guys checked for those straps and BOUNCED my buddy for not having them. (Last year they also bounced me for not having sheetmetal flooring over my trans. It was back home and I had to ask a team member to relay it down to me or they would not let me race.) At our local track they let the "regulars" slide on these points. But the rulebook clearly states the requirement for (both).
I know what I would do. Either put a stock pan back on (in conjunction with a trans cooler if you do not already have one) - or - make new, longer straps from the same material as original [1/8 galvanized metal strap 1" wide]. Technically, that's verboten but if they were equivalent to the originals it would take a pretty hard-hearted tech guy not to let you race it.

BK:

--- Quote from: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER on February 03, 2019, 03:37:38 PM ---I don't know about your local track but at the DIV III e.t. Finals the tech guys checked for those straps and BOUNCED my buddy for not having them. (Last year they also bounced me for not having sheetmetal flooring over my trans. It was back home and I had to ask a team member to relay it down to me or they would not let me race.) At our local track they let the "regulars" slide on these points. But the rulebook clearly states the requirement for (both).
I know what I would do. Either put a stock pan back on (in conjunction with a trans cooler if you do not already have one) - or - make new, longer straps from the same material as original [1/8 galvanized metal strap 1" wide]. Technically, that's verboten but if they were equivalent to the originals it would take a pretty hard-hearted tech guy not to let you race it.

--- End quote ---
If you had a -15 suit I'm pretty sure he should have let you race without the transmission covered. With cover you are allowed a -5 suit. IHRA allows -5 with or without the trans covered.

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER:
Yes BK,
That is what the techie guy told me too. I could have raced the car as-is if I was wearing a suit for a supercharged car, and he suggested I scour the other racers there to see if anybody had an extra suit in their trailer. Since I am 6'6" I knew the chances of me borrowing a suit I could fit into and safely wield the car were zilch. Fortunately one of our racers had not left Detroit yet and through the helpful relay of some racers and my neighbor whom I instructed how to break into my basement and get the required tin I was able to make myself legal to race.

bikeguy307:
The lower strap isn't so much for keeping the pan from going down, as much it keep the shield from going up. All of the straps are needed for it to work as designed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version