Technical > Dan Dishon's Transmission Den

trans shield replacement

<< < (3/3)

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER:
I think .040 aluminum.

I will say I flunked tech at the Indy e.t. finals because I did not have my floor in. (Its very confining so I often left it out for more foot room (size 13 shoes). The tech guy said either get a blown FE driver suit or put a floor in it.

Roger:
Couldn’t find anything on the thickness of the transmission cover so I’d suspect a minimum of .032” aluminum or .024” steel. You can always call your NHRA division office and they can probably point you to a tech person that could answer that question.

The rulebook:

Section 4A, #7
“Subflooring independent of car body is mandatory in dragster that allows driver’s legs to rest on belly pan or chassis.”

Section 21, #6.1
“All interior panels (firewalls, floors, wheel tubs, doors, etc.) within the driver compartment of enclosed cockpit cars where the driver is located behind the engine must be constructed of materials other than magnesium.”

Section 21, #7.5
“Belly pans and subfloors enclosing engine or driver compartment must contain suitable drain holes so that liquids and foreign matter cannot collect, thus creating a fire hazard. Minimum .032-inch aluminum or .024-inch steel.”

wideopen231:
 qUESTION ON SUBJECT. Do you have to have sheild with a up to date trans case such as Reid or ATI.? I am covered on  suit with 20 and the boots,well other than date which means a 15 suit after getting re certified.

bikeguy307:
No shield is needed when you have an aftermarket case with a current cert.

gregm784:
I think they're discussing having a floor in so you don't have to wear a -15 suit.  if you have a floor, (and are not blown), you can "get away" with a -5 suit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version