Drag Racing Discussions > Tow Vehicles

Alcohol Engine with No Water

<< < (2/2)

Paul New:
I use to run water in my blown alky SBC my reason was to let the head gaskets survive more that a weekend! By running water in only the heads I was able to run an entire season on 1 set of head gaskets about 40 passes. I was not punishing my parts running  6.64-6.80’s  200-206mph shifting around 7800 and creating 24lbs of boost!  I was not worried about kicking out the half gallon of water that I ran in my heads and small water tank and putting the car into the wall after all it could easily be a rod hanging out the side of the block and 2 gallons of oil!  After this engine came out of the car I went to a solid billet headed engine with symmetrical ports so the issues with the center two cylinders was gone more like a BBC so now I no longer run water. 

Tance:
Thanks for the experienced replies...

Greggm: open it is, no freeze plugs and let the air circulate through... that's what I hoped to hear.

Wide Open: I agree... it's a wash, but the scales tip toward no water because it's so much simpler.

Duster Dave: you'll always be a drag racer... use that money to buy a nice driver to work on, something fun to get you to the races as a spectator, make an occasional pass.  Evolution... not end.

George:
No argument with simplicity. I ran a stock block SBC ,stack injected setup on Methanol. The first year was dry. Freeze plugs were installed . We ran an immersion type heater in the oil pan. After consulting with a much smarter and experienced racer I installed 2 block heaters. One in each side. The engine loved the heat soak. It had more power and showed less fuel in the oil. The engine is now with another racer but if I were to do it again I would go with the water. We ran a fully filled Dart iron block with a blower combination and it always ran stronger after a run or 2. Methanol loves a warm engine. My 2 cents. George

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version