Author Topic: price to chrome steering parts  (Read 6747 times)

Offline crider

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.01
  • Your Engine: BBC
  • Your Track: farmington, Nc
  • Your Vehicle: in progress
  • General Location: south east
price to chrome steering parts
« on: January 27, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »
Just curious if anyone has had their axle and steering rods chromed lately and what the cost was. I have a local shop that does the spectra chrome process and their work looks great, but I'm not sure how long it holds up. But also not sure how much more real chrome would cost. Might be willing to give it a try if there is a major price difference. Thoughts?

Offline afaulk

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 4.69 @ 145 1/8 mile
  • Your Engine: 370" Blown Alky Chevy
  • Your Track: I-22 Motorsports Park, Eldridge, AL
  • Your Vehicle: 186" Faulkner FED
  • General Location: North Alabama
Re: price to chrome steering parts
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 08:29:35 PM »
I had everything except the axle done.  Including shipping it cost $400.  I had polished the parts myself but I'm not sure if it saved me any money.  I can polish that kind of stuff as well as anyone. 8)

Offline dusterdave173

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.38in 1/8th
  • Your Engine: 355 CI SBC
  • Your Track: Mooresville, NC
  • Your Vehicle: CenPen 200 inch FED
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 04:23:53 AM »
about $10 a foot from the guys in TN nearest you  name Tri City Plating Bob had his done--looks great he is in Thomasville very near you--can get you his info so you can talk
I have always had a fascination with fast cars at the expense of more normal character development

Offline crider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 12:19:35 PM »
Thanks guys. I dropped the parts off this morning, gonna try the spectra chrome route and I guess 'll see how long it holds up. Wish me luck...lol

dreracecar

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 04:07:17 PM »
Fake chrome is like going out on a date with your sister and expect to get some

Offline crider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 04:43:13 AM »
I love that reply Bruce!!

Offline Bentwings

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: None
  • Your Engine: 392 Chrysler, 426 Chrysler, sbc
  • Your Track: None
  • Your Vehicle: 41Willys blown sbc streetrod
  • General Location: Midwest
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 04:54:53 PM »
Something to be aware of regarding chrome of critical parts.  Hydrogen imbrittlement.  The chroming process causes hydrogen to be trapped in the pores of the metal.  The chemical process is quite complex but be assured it happens.  There is a lot of controversity about how to remove it or prevent it.   Generally it is believed that if the parts are baked within about 45 minutes for a given time the imbrittlement can be relieved.  However not all authorities believe this.  Certainly not all shops go to the extra effort.

I think NHRA tech prohibits chrome suspension parts. Do some checking.

Years past the established chrome shops did everything they could to,prevent this but now......??

One of the local funny cars had all new front end pars chromed at a new chrome shop. About 6-8 runs into the new season a spindle broke off the a arm assemble in a burn out. Lucky for everyone only some Fiberglas got bent up.  It didn't take a magnifying glass to see the brittle fracture.

Just a heads up

Offline skydvrbob

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 9.45 motorcycle 1/4mile Fremont,,CA
  • Your Engine: not enough HP
  • Your Track: farmington
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: thomasville,NC
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 05:20:55 AM »
It cost me roughly $23 a foot from the place in tenn. And I picked it up at autofair. Looks good but didn't add any speed to the car.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 05:36:17 AM »
Something to be aware of regarding chrome of critical parts.  Hydrogen imbrittlement.  The chroming process causes hydrogen to be trapped in the pores of the metal.  The chemical process is quite complex but be assured it happens.  There is a lot of controversity about how to remove it or prevent it.   Generally it is believed that if the parts are baked within about 45 minutes for a given time the imbrittlement can be relieved.  However not all authorities believe this.  Certainly not all shops go to the extra effort.

I think NHRA tech prohibits chrome suspension parts. Do some checking.

Years past the established chrome shops did everything they could to,prevent this but now......??

One of the local funny cars had all new front end pars chromed at a new chrome shop. About 6-8 runs into the new season a spindle broke off the a arm assemble in a burn out. Lucky for everyone only some Fiberglas got bent up.  It didn't take a magnifying glass to see the brittle fracture.

Just a heads up

Did the king pin boss break off the a-arm at the weld or did all three legs of the a-arm fracture? If the boss fell off I would suspect faulty welding rather than hydrogen embritlement.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 10:17:55 AM »
Every car we ever had  had chrome front suspenion parts and lots of others.Lance King at Royal silver in VA. beach did ours.Never had a problem with any of them.Heck his chrome was probably close to thickness of the moly itself.LOL
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot