Author Topic: Shortie Transmissions  (Read 3203 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Shortie Transmissions
« on: October 16, 2016, 02:30:23 AM »
Just curious why guys who have the engine way out from the axle centre line are often running short transmissions with long coupler shafts rather than just a regular lenth trans?

Offline coupemerc

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.86@188 (1/8 Mile), 5.97@233 (1/4 Mile)
Re: Shortie Transmissions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 05:37:06 AM »
On my B/ND car, overall weight is critical and it costs a lot of money in exotic materials to take weight out of these cars. The shortie trans can be made lighter than the full length version. Also, it is also somewhat easier to install/remove the shorter trans for converter changes and service because you have more room. On mine the shortie kit is magnesium with an aluminum output shaft, couplers are aluminum and drive shaft is titanium.

dreracecar

Re: Shortie Transmissions
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 10:09:11 AM »
Unless you spend $$$$$ on those trick driveline pieces the long glide weighs less than a shorty. Also a big concern is driveline slop with couplers and shafts if you leave off a trans break and having the car rock back and forth in the beams. 

I found no need to go further out with my car (blown 7.0pro) then the 39" of the full glide. just one coupler in the trans and one on the 3rd. The cover was just 4.5" of alu tubing. Left off the hand brake so every single piece of drivline was in the loaded posision for a smooth launch and no rocking.   
  Changing/getting to the trans and converter was not an issue for me (both engine and trans had to be pull out together) since I did not have spares or there usually was not enough time between rounds to change them anyway.