Author Topic: Engine won't run right with zoomie headers  (Read 7807 times)

Offline DiggerDon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 860
  • Your Track: Pittsburgh Raceway Park
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Engine won't run right with zoomie headers
« on: September 25, 2016, 04:54:22 PM »
I have a 18 degree 428 engine in my fed 14 to1 comp ratio 950cfm gas carburetor that I had built for a dirt track car. Never used engine in dirt car, (sold dirt car with old engine) built my fed with the new engine. Made zoomie headers and ran rough would not idle right, I made collector headers and it runs great.
Would like to put zoomies on car to look original. Seems like I have vacuum problems .
What can I do to fix the problem. Thanks Don

Offline crider

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 5.01
  • Your Engine: BBC
  • Your Track: farmington, Nc
  • Your Vehicle: in progress
  • General Location: south east
Re: Engine won't run right with zoomie headers
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 03:15:30 AM »
I just went thru this very same thing on my BBC, try making you zoomies longer. It took care of my idle issues. Engine was acting like it had a massive vacuum leak and wouldn't idle, added some length to the pipes and it cleared right up

Offline jspell

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.48 / 178
  • Your Track: Maple Grove Raceway
  • Your Vehicle: 2014 Ken Keir Dragster
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 07:45:55 AM »
I went through this last year with my 423" SBC with 18* heads etc...ran great on dyno...would not run with the zoomies...14:1 comp and big cam...I put collector headers back on it...runs great.

Offline Rusty Kramer

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 3.90 @ 185mph 1/8 Mile
  • Your Engine: 472CID KB Olds Blown alky 14-71 HH
  • Your Track: Eddyville Raceway Park Eddyville, Iowa
  • Your Vehicle: Self Build Rear Engine BA/D
  • General Location: Midwest
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 11:16:53 AM »
I wanted to put Zoomies on a naturally aspirated   engine many years ago and I was advised not to because they do not make enough back pressure for an N/A application and you will lose a lot of low end power. 

Offline wideopen231

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/8 3.70@ 198 1/4 5.78@245
  • Your Engine: Hemi 526 ci alcohol
  • Your Track: Piedmont
  • Your Vehicle: 225 CMC FED
  • General Location: NORTH CAROLINA
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 11:58:08 AM »
Have run zoomies for years on NA motors with no real issue.As to power loss .I think its mostly bottomend power and I lleave at 5000 with 6600 stall converter so who cares about bottom end power.I run mostly in a 1500 to 1800 rpm range 6600 thru 8400 maybe cpl more in 1/4.

Zoomies seems to always be fine with injection and take some tunning if running one of those craparators.
Relecting obama is like shooting right foot because it did not hurt enough when you shot left foot

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 09:29:09 PM »
Hey Digger

How much overlap does your cam have?

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 05:48:30 AM »
I've run them with out a second thought on Ford Windsor and Cleveland engines. Funny thing is I'm having some trouble sorting out my small block Chrysler and I never gave my Zoomies a seconds thought ?

Offline DiggerDon

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 860
  • Your Track: Pittsburgh Raceway Park
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 05:53:34 PM »
Roger
The cam card is faded but it looks like 22 degrees

Offline Roger

• View Profile
  • Your Vehicle: 125 inch Altered
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 08:12:38 PM »
Sounds low for an overlap figure, do you have the # of the cam? Reason I ask about overlap is the more overlap in the cam the rougher the engine with collector headers runs at idle. Put zoomies on it and it runs even worse. Zoomies don’t scavenge exhaust like a tuned length collector header. Then use some short pipe zoomies and it could be that exhaust reversion is taking place; exhaust moving into the intake port before the intake charge starts following towards the cylinder. It’s to do with exhaust pulses and all that stuff. Just like Crider said you add some length to the pipe and you start to reach the tuned length part of this deal and makes the exhaust pulses work in your favor so the engine idles better. I’m dealing with this same situation now as I start to assemble my new gas burning zoomie equipped engine: trying to figure out what camshaft to run knowing that all the advantages of tuned collector headers and their camshaft designs are tossed out the garage door. I’ll take a leap of faith here cause this a slow evening and suggest that a cam with a minimum amount of overlap is used to minimize exhaust reversion that might be affecting idle quality. Maybe try the zoomies again and loosen the lash on the intakes and exhaust which will take out some of the overlap, to see if it idles any better. Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline Oldschool

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.42 in a BB Chevy Altered 9.28 in my Vega
  • Your Engine: 434 Scott Shafiroff Racing Engine
  • Your Track: US 36 , Mo Kan and Heartland Park Topeka
  • Your Vehicle: 173" Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2016, 09:01:29 PM »
I run zoomies on my 434 SBC with a 1050 dominator and runs like a bat out of xxxx. The idle is great,but pipes not real short. Could not imagine not running them ,very cool ride.
It is not the years in your life
But the life in your years