Author Topic: Glasses fog  (Read 17285 times)

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
  • Your Best Time: 1/4 mile 7.950 at 165 MPH
  • Your Engine: Pontiac 461 Alky Blown
  • Your Track: Empire Dragway, NY
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
Glasses fog
« on: September 13, 2016, 05:47:52 PM »
I have a heck of a time with my glasses fogging, particularly on cooler days.

I have tried several different anti fogging sprays on the glasses.

Have tried warming the glasses by setting them on the intake manifold.

I have one last race in the series in October.

If there is any breeze at all with the helmet cracked open the fog on the glasses disapates.

I would like to try an air bottle with a hose into the helmet.

Thoughts, recommendations?
Glenn R. Lever
Rochester, New York 14617-2012
My Cars https://www.lever-family-racing.com/

Offline Oldschool

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.42 in a BB Chevy Altered 9.28 in my Vega
  • Your Engine: 434 Scott Shafiroff Racing Engine
  • Your Track: US 36 , Mo Kan and Heartland Park Topeka
  • Your Vehicle: 173" Front Engine Dragster
Re: Glasses fog
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 06:59:38 PM »
Little RainX ? I know it puts a film over  that might keep from fogging.
It is not the years in your life
But the life in your years

Offline msundstrom

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.45 @ 182 in 1/4
  • Your Engine: NA Injected 505 BBC on 45%
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: FED
  • General Location: Washington Coast
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 07:23:54 PM »
I use Zoi (I think that is how it's spelled). I use it on both sides of my lenses and no fogging.
Mark S

Offline Totally T

• View Profile
    • NDRL
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 08:26:42 PM »
Glenn.....As you know I bought a new helmet and I love it....and I hate it. It fogs over instantly with the visor down.

I put shaving cream on the lens, I put Rain X anti fog on it and even some stuff Nave gave me and it still fogs up horribly. Friday night i was well past the finish line before lifting as I could not see the stripe.

My old Simpson has a anti fog shield and it works but they do not offer them for the new piece so im going to try two things. They sent me a breath deflector that snaps in the bottom of the eye port and will cover your nose to prevent your breath from coming up. The next is a small helmet blower to fan the lens. The helmet is a DJ Pro Air Flow and has a port for the blower so fingers crossed.
Troy Wilson
Nostalgia Drag Racing League

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 08:44:23 PM »
Little RainX ? I know it puts a film over  that might keep from fogging.

I have tried Rain X, did not work for me.

I use Zoi (I think that is how it's spelled). I use it on both sides of my lenses and no fogging.
Mark S

I think you are talking about Zooke, https://www.zooke.com/ and that is what I currently am using, and it does not work either.

I have gone to ski shops and tried their wipes and that does not work either

Glenn.....As you know I bought a new helmet and I love it....and I hate it. It fogs over instantly with the visor down.

I put shaving cream on the lens, I put Rain X anti fog on it and even some stuff Nave gave me and it still fogs up horribly. Friday night i was well past the finish line before lifting as I could not see the stripe.

My old Simpson has a anti fog shield and it works but they do not offer them for the new piece so im going to try two things. They sent me a breath deflector that snaps in the bottom of the eye port and will cover your nose to prevent your breath from coming up. The next is a small helmet blower to fan the lens. The helmet is a DJ Pro Air Flow and has a port for the blower so fingers crossed.

I had thought about a fan/blower, I shy away from that as (maybe a little paranoid) I am concerned with blowing cockpit air into the helmet.  God forbid if there was ever a fire I would be blowing that into my helmet.

I'm thinking the best thing would be to have breathable bottled air blowing into the helmet?

My problem is staging and starting, once the dragster is moving the problem goes away.

I have also tried a head sock thinking that would keep my breath from fogging my glasses and that does help (my helmet has a helmet skirt).

I do not want to spend $1,000 on a FAST system.

My eye sight is not terrible and have tried running without glasses but that is not an option either.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:55:41 PM by GlennLever »
Glenn R. Lever

Offline Totally T

• View Profile
    • NDRL
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2016, 07:25:14 AM »
The little blower has a filter on the end of it. May work it may not. Probably the same on the breath deflector.
Troy Wilson
Nostalgia Drag Racing League

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 07:30:27 AM »
Glenn – here’s another product to think on.  Maybe call your Optometrist and check if they can order a “prescription stick on lens” that attaches to the inside of your clear helmet visor, similar to this product that sticks on the inside of eye wear glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Astick%20on%20magnifying%20lenses

I know they make them for underwater divers, since wearing prescription glasses with their masks is difficult.  Alan

dreracecar

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2016, 09:15:57 AM »
Get a length of clear hose and stuff one end down the arm and out the sleeve cuff and the other in your mouth, you now have a breathing hose out side the helmet--- cost  $1.29
Used to do this (before fresh air helmets) in off-road racing with a filter attached to get thru the silt beds

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2016, 09:21:16 AM »
The little blower has a filter on the end of it. May work it may not. Probably the same on the breath deflector.

Not sure if that would work with the HANS and the close confinement of the chute pack body I have.

I was thinking of a small 1/2 inch tube running up inside the helmet skirt and releasing just a small amount of air just below my mouth.

Thinking of just using another co2 bottle with air instead of co2, a regulator set at 5 pounds (just a small movement of air clears the fog on the glasses), and a tube that I snake up through fire suit and helmet shirt to blow on the glasses. I would need some kind of quick release so that if I had to get out it would pull free without having to touch it (like the jack for the radio ear plugs).

One more race this season and then I have the whole winter to work on it.

However if it is cool in Bowling Green I will have a problem.

Glenn – here’s another product to think on.  Maybe call your Optometrist and check if they can order a “prescription stick on lens” that attaches to the inside of your clear helmet visor, similar to this product that sticks on the inside of eye wear glasses.

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Astick%20on%20magnifying%20lenses

I know they make them for underwater divers, since wearing prescription glasses with their masks is difficult.  Alan

I'll give them a call, the problem I see is the face mask has a flat surface and the helemt is curved.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Glenn R. Lever

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2016, 09:25:29 AM »
Get a length of clear hose and stuff one end down the arm and out the sleeve cuff and the other in your mouth, you now have a breathing hose out side the helmet--- cost  $1.29
Used to do this (before fresh air helmets) in off-road racing with a filter attached to get thru the silt beds

I'll try breathing through a 1/2 inch three foot long hose and see if it works.

If I used a bottle with compressed air in it and let it release just below my mouth I think that would work.

Need the bottle, a regulator.

A few more dollars but the same general idea.

With your idea I would not have to worry about getting hung up getting out of the dragster.
Glenn R. Lever

Offline JrFuel Hayden

• View Profile
    • Hayden Enterprises Speciality Wheels
  • Your Best Time: 6.02, 236 mph, 1/4 in 1973 Div 3 TF Champ
  • Your Engine: SBC, Alky, 403 ci, Best 6.99 @ 190 & 409 Hemi
  • Your Track: Bakersfield
  • Your Vehicle: 225" FED NHRA Heritage Jr Fuel
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 01:20:17 PM »
I helped a racer with fogged shield, by getting her a snowmoblie helmet breathguard, that inserts into the helmet.
Try a motorcycle or snowmobile shop, to see which breath guard will fit your helmet.
Back-in-the-day I just put my goggles [ not anymore legal] or helmet shield under my fire suit to get it heated up. Seem to fix it.

Jon
Jon C. Hansen

Hayden Wheels

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 03:01:21 PM »
I helped a racer with fogged shield, by getting her a snowmoblie helmet breathguard, that inserts into the helmet.
Try a motorcycle or snowmobile shop, to see which breath guard will fit your helmet.
Back-in-the-day I just put my goggles [ not anymore legal] or helmet shield under my fire suit to get it heated up. Seem to fix it.

Jon

I have tried setting my glasses on the intake manifold to try heating them up, but with the length of time we sometimes sit in the staging lanes they cool off and then fog.
Glenn R. Lever

Offline BK

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.45 / 5.30
  • Your Track: Empire Dagway
  • Your Vehicle: Late 70's FED
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »
I put my thumb on the bottom of the shield when I lower it. That little bit of gap keeps my shield clear. I cant say it would work on your glasses. The shield closes itself by around a 100 ft. if I forget to close it.

Offline GlennLever

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Lever Family Site
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 05:14:43 PM »
I put my thumb on the bottom of the shield when I lower it. That little bit of gap keeps my shield clear. I cant say it would work on your glasses. The shield closes itself by around a 100 ft. if I forget to close it.

I do not seem to have a problem with the shield, it is my glasses.

The fog on the glasses clears up as soon as there is any air movement.

My biggest problem is when I am staging and watching the tree.
Glenn R. Lever

dreracecar

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 05:51:16 PM »
Because you are breathing heavy inside the helmet, hose should work to clear that up