Author Topic: Magneto starting  (Read 3730 times)

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
Magneto starting
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:44:57 AM »
Spud – saw this item on your website.  Any reason it’s only for the sprint and super mag, and not the vertex?  Looks simple to install, and advantageous in starting your engine.  Are there any obvious causes to check if your engine is hard starting with a magneto and this item would help? 

http://fuelinjectionent.com/webstore/product_info.php?cPath=22_31&products_id=289

p.s. My engine has FIE upgraded vertex with injection.  Prime and it fires right up with mini-starter and one 12v 650cca battery.  I use a FIE timing box too, best product ever!  Alan

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: Magneto starting
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 06:34:24 AM »

The Super-Mag and Sprintmag have a separate internal stator winding and a separate external coil. This device back-feeds battery voltage into the stator momentarily to create a spark at low speeds.

The OAC Vertex utilizes the primary windings in the internal coil for its stator. This primary winding is surrounded by many turns of very fine wire (the secondary winding). Putting voltage to a Vertex even for a second puts the internal coil secondary windings at great risk. It would probably burn the coil out.

An OXC Vertex (separate external coil) could probably get away with it. Both styles of Vertex make really good cranking spark, so I'm not sure anyone would ever need to do this. In fact, it is rarely used with the Super-Mag or Sprintmag either! Just in extreme cases of big mag, slow cranking speed.

Spud

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions

Offline denverflatheader

• View Profile
Re: Magneto starting
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 07:16:03 AM »
Spud - thanks for precise factual info.  Alan