Author Topic: shifters  (Read 15019 times)

Offline Paul New

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.47 @ 214 MPH SBC
  • Your Engine: 387" SBC
  • Your Track: Woodburn Dragstrip
  • Your Vehicle: 2005 FED
Re: shifters
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2016, 02:51:04 PM »
cant use those with a handbrake

Can't use what with a hand brake?

If you run a Nostalgia dragster and use a hand brake , there is no room for a conventinal style shifter no matter how thin, and why I used a ratchet style between the drivers legs

I had my shifter mounted very similar to this with two rods attached one to shift the other to activate the reverse lock out when I had a powerglide in my car

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
  • Your Track: New England Dragway
  • Your Vehicle: FED/Altered
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 12:06:14 PM »
cant use those with a handbrake

Can't use what with a hand brake?

If you run a Nostalgia dragster and use a hand brake , there is no room for a conventinal style shifter no matter how thin, and why I used a ratchet style between the drivers legs

I guess I should tell the customer of mine that's been running a hand brake with a Precision shifter for 13 years, I'm sure he'd like to know.

dreracecar

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2016, 12:39:42 PM »
Maybe your car is wider and your customer thin, My car is narrow and the driver fat

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2016, 01:56:47 PM »
With a 20" hoop and a driver that nobody would describe as skinny it's pretty much a press fit. Right side hand brake and shifter, so nothing goofy going on there. 

dreracecar

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2016, 02:50:02 PM »
There will always somebody who will figure out a way of doing something, But my response was for the most part generally accepted practice.
  Being that you are so proud of your accomplishment, why dont you post a pic to show others how its done

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2016, 05:06:37 AM »
There will always somebody who will figure out a way of doing something, But my response was for the most part generally accepted practice.
  Being that you are so proud of your accomplishment, why dont you post a pic to show others how its done

It's not so much about somebody figuring out how to do something as much as pointing out that a blanket statement like "can't use those with a hand brake" may lead some people to believe that there's some rule or regulation keeping them from doing what they'd like to do, not just that packaging is difficult.

As far as being proud of my accomplishment, I'm not even sure I'd call it an accomplishment it was so simple. Lot's of things I'm more proud of in my life.

I'm not the type to "show others how it's done", but since I'll see him at the track this weekend I'll get a picture.

dreracecar

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2016, 09:01:41 AM »
Looking forward to the picture

Offline Scott Krieger

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.75 ET - 152.00 MPH 1/4 mile
  • Your Track: LVMS
  • Your Vehicle: Front Engine Dragster
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 03:54:48 PM »
Precision Shifter here ;)
Same price last 32 years I know of. $200

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 06:30:04 AM »
And here it is.

dreracecar

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 09:06:18 AM »
Looks good, and if it works for the driver---great
So far, everyone that I have fitted to their car, wanting a hand brake preferred a pull brake instead of a push as they could not get their arm/elbow back enough to gain leverage unless the handle was further forward precisly where the shifter is

Offline fuel749

• View Profile
    • Dragster Supply
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »
He seems to like it and was dead set on this combination. Most of the cars I do with a handbrake have the lever pretty much even with the steering wheel. At least 75% of the handbrake cars have come back for a foot brake/right side shifter conversion.

Offline PSweeney

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Santa Pod
  • Your Vehicle: 138in SBC slingshot
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 05:15:04 AM »
really don't like the shift on the same side like that.  After he's fired the car in the lanes, how does he apply the brake when shifting into low, same with reverse on the burnout  I'll bet getting in and out the car is a pain too.

The low to high shift would feel odd to me, the brake handle returning against my hand which then has to move around the returning lever to shift forward into high, would just feel goofy to me