Author Topic: Where do the old race Hemi engines go ?  (Read 3931 times)

Offline retroboy

• View Profile
  • Your Track: Whyalla
  • Your Vehicle: FED
Where do the old race Hemi engines go ?
« on: July 05, 2016, 12:18:28 AM »
Howdy
We've had aftermarket aluminium Hemi engines around since the 1970's. All the these early engines are obsolete - except to someone like me.  The resto / cackle crowd are using up the iron engines and maybe the 417 Donavons. An early KB with a 6-71 and bird catcher or stack injection with a 'glide would be a cool indestructible package in a 7 or 8 sec FED. Where are they ?
Cheers
Tony

Offline digster

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 8.01 1/4
  • Your Engine: Hilborn Injected 427 SBC (Methanol)
  • Your Track: Top End Raceways, Sabin Mn
  • Your Vehicle: 1970 190 inch FED
Re: Where do the old race Hemi engines go ?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 03:58:43 AM »
 They are around. I see them come up for sale from time to time. One to two thousand depending on condition seems to be the going rate. Most have had the main saddle rebuilt and been windowed a time or two over the years. The hemi factor is very tempting for us old mopar guys but for most of us and the numbers you're talking its SBC.

Offline rooman

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 6.200/222.05 (1/4 mile--NT/F)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 04:52:02 AM »
I see quite a few of them in 7.0 cars out on the coast (and an increasing number here in the midwest as well)  They are also showing up in Top Dragster around here. Not so much the old KB cast units which are probably suffering from fatigue at this point in time but there are plenty of billet units that are past their use by date for the big show (and N/FC and Fuel Altered) crowd.

Roo
Yeah, I am from the south--any further south and I would have been a bloody penguin.

dreracecar

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 08:11:13 AM »
By the time us bottom feeders get thru with the big show cast-offs, they are pretty much junk.
Had a block come in for repair a couple months ago, every throw and a patched window (some even had 2 patches) the oil galleys patched, deck welded, time-serts, lifter bores welded and sleeved, heat treat gone, kept spinning the main bearings because the crank was sideways, kept getting oil out the front and rear seals because the crank was raised .020 from line bore. And the guy wanted me to still fix it.

Yes there are still some good people and parts out there that still can be used, BUT--- from where you live, dealing with shady sellers and broke-ass racers willing to sell you junk knowing that its hard to come back to them