Author Topic: Auto Meter Sport Comp Tach  (Read 3495 times)

Offline Pat Johnson

• View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.50 1/4 mile Super Comp dragster & Super Gas
  • Your Track: Portland Int Rcwy, / Woodburn Raceway Ore
  • Your Vehicle: None right now< Honorary Crew Member Bay's & Rupert F/C
Auto Meter Sport Comp Tach
« on: June 29, 2016, 11:34:58 AM »
Hi Spud, did you ever come up with that part i can use to make this tach work with my magnito, please let me know, and if you did how musc for this part, thank's Pat.

Offline jimc

• Southern Slingshots Northern Race Coordinator
    • View Profile
  • Your Best Time: 7.93
  • Your Engine: 383 Tom Martino
  • Your Track: Englishtown, Atco
  • Your Vehicle: '70 Ed Mabry 186"
Re: Auto Meter Sport Comp Tach
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 07:59:16 AM »
I was testing some of Spuds boxes earlier last year and happy to say his new box works well with my tach and mag.  Sportcomp tach too
Thanks Spud!!

Jim Cummings

Offline Spud Miller

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Fuel Injection Ent., LLC
Re: Auto Meter Sport Comp Tach
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 03:53:02 PM »
 Thanks for the testimonial Jim! Glad it's working well for you.

Hi Pat...yes we do have a better mousetrap now for making a tach work with a mag.

The Autometer 9118/MSD 8132 (same device) don't work real well with points mags. The noise of solid core wires and big coils and such make them almost useless in a lot of situations.

We've been working on this for years! Instead of fighting the noise, our new unit actually uses noise. It has a pickup that tie-wraps to the high-tension coil wire or under the wire hold-down on the mag cap. The pickup is about the size of an ice cube and has a small hole in it for the tie-wrap to secure it.

The unit itself is enclosed in a billet aluminum box to keep all the noise out of it. It makes a great tach pulse signal from the noise that the mag emits on the secondary side.

The other big issue is that most tachs and shift lights pick up noise on their power and ground wires and even with a good signal, they freak out. So...our unit supplies clean, filtered power and ground to the tach device as well. The FIE tach pulse generator will power devices up to 1/2 amp (it has thermal protection on that) and keeps everything clean while supplying a square-wave pulse for the tach signal.

It works great with Super-Mags and Sprint mags as well as OXC and OAC Vertexes. On the internal coil Vertex, the pickup must be mounted on the side of the cap next to the channel for the coil wire. The internal coil Vertex requires a different (more sensitive) pickup as well.

The device must see 11.5-14 VDC on the input side. We recently had someone using an 18V cordless drill battery for power and it didn't like it a bit.

It's $150 for the unit, the pickup and 8' of shielded cable for use with the pickup. It is guaranteed to work for you or we'll refund your purchase price. I have not put it on our webstore yet but plan to in a week or so. The unit was tested quite a bit last summer and fall and they are ready to go. Picture below and a link to the instructions and schematics.

If you'd like to order one, FIE will pickup Priority Mail shipping for forum members in the USA during the month of July. Since it isn't on the webstore for the next week or so, you'll have to call and Stephanie can take your order: 541-990-2485 x0   She'll need to know if the mag is external or internal coil. Be sure to mention you're a forum member for free shipping.

Spud

For External coil mags: http://fuelinjectionent.com/tech/FIE-TACH-SMAG-COMPLETE.pdf
For Internal coil mags: http://fuelinjectionent.com/tech/FIE-TACH-VTX-COMPLETE.pdf

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:01:02 PM by Spud Miller »

Fuel Injection Enterprises, LLC
     Mechanical Injection
     Magnetos
     EFI Conversions